“Feel the history - in Castelo de Sao Jorge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castelo de Sao Jorge

Castelo de Sao Jorge
Rua de Santa Cruz do Castelo, Lisbon 1100-129, Portugal (Castelo)
+351 218 800 620
Website
Improve this listing
Visit Castelo de Sao Jorge like an insider
Special Offer
$32*
and up
Lisbon Super Saver: Lisbon Hop-On Hop-Off Tour...
Ranked #19 of 424 things to do in Lisbon
Activities: Watching sunrise/sunset, Walking
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the historic Alfama district, this brooding Moorish castle dominates the city from its vantage point atop Lisbon's highest hill.
Burghausen, Germany
21 attraction reviews
“Feel the history - in Castelo de Sao Jorge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

The Castelo de Sao Jorge is a castle in Alfama (Lisbon) which is integrated in the city. We visited the castle as a students group and we had about one hour to go around which is a little bit short because it is not a small castle.
From the highest walls you have a brilliant view over nearly every part of Lisbon. Some places are without a balustrade and that might make you a little bit uneasy if you have to walk there.
If you plan to visit the castle, take suncream, a camera (you wouldn't want to miss the view) and sturdy footwear! And take you're time!

Visited September 2010

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
12 attraction reviews
“Amazing views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

We didn't pay any entrance fee on New Year's Day - Sat. Jan 1, 2011. We went there to explore the castle and watch the beautiful sunset. It was cold and windy but the views from up there are amazing and the hike that included steep hills and stairs was not bad, we're used to walking all over the cities we visit. There was a guy playing a guitar in the central square, I thought that was very nice. We spent about 2 hours here and this was one of my favorite stops during our holiday in Lisbon.

Visited January 2011
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
18 attraction reviews
“good view, absolutely not worth 7 euros”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

you pay 7 euros to get into the castle and the castle is just empty walls and shallow courtyards... nice the view but you can enyou it also form the nice miradouros ....

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
10 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Started from the center of the city & tried to follow signs for St George Castle but halfway there the signs disappeared. We found our way on our own but it is definitely a major hike that included steep hills & stairs. Tram 28 is better suited for those who can't handle the exertion. Once you get inside the Castle walls though you can get great panoramic views of the city. The only downside is that as far as the castle is concerned though there isn't much to see except for some outer walls of a castle. You can climb the stairs in it to get even higher up for some views but that is all it is good for.

Boston, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
“Glad I went but I'm not sure it was worth the entrance fee and hike”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

The castle sits on a hill overlooking Lisbon; I could see it from everywhere I went. But, when I tried to find it to visit it, I got hopelessly lost. Do not trust the signs that are posted around and just ask someone how to get there! When you enter the castle walls, there's a small community of homes and shops inside. I'm not sure how I would feel having tourists tromping through my backyard all day every day, so I left that area alone. The cost to enter is about $10 (or about 7 euro). The line was long but moved quickly and the folks selling tickets and souvenirs appear to speak every major European language as well as English. The castle isn't much to look at. You can walk along the walls (be careful -- an older woman came crashing down the stairs while I was there and was banged up pretty bad) and look out over the city, but that's about it. There was a man playing guitar in the central square area. If you wander away from the crowds, you'll find the archeological ruins dig area, where they are excavating some Moorish and Iron Age communities. I enjoyed the shaded castle grounds the most. It was a hot day and it was nice to enjoy a cold soda under a shade tree. Know that it's a good uphill climb to get to the castle entrance; if your feet can't take the cobblestones in Alfama, this climb won't feel too good and you may want to take a cab. There's a cafe there if you're hungry or need a drink. Not much for the kids to look at but it is a good view over the city.