“Yummy, but....” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Yummy, but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

We had two 1/2 meals which was the perfect amount.....one was a winner and one was not. The mixed seafood steamed in rice was wonderful. The beans and shrimp was not the best choice. Their popularity has taught them the art of turning tables and squeezing patrons in. While the food was good, the meal was not relaxing.

Visited December 2013

89% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Berlin, Germany
“Fantastic lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I had a fantastic lunch at this Lisbon based restaurant with my wife and I can’t forget about it. We had an amazingly testy cataplana and I can’t wait to get back there. Everything served was fresh and really delicious. Our tour guide recommended it and we don’t know how to thank him for this magical find. From the service, everything else was amazing and the staffs were all smiles and lots of jokes were freely flowing around. I recommended this place to my friend and he told me that he had the best cod and a mixed grilled fish plate he has had in his entire life and I can’t wait to go and try this out.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Quincy, Illinois
“Being generous @ 2”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

I know a lot of restaurants are closed on Monday here. I expected a few people but was surprised to find I was the only customer. Maybe the funny jester waiters are off on Monday, mine wasn't humorous at all. I had shrimp soup as a started & I thought it was bland. After reading the reviews here I decided to try the seafood & rice. I know shellfish are a type of seafood so I can't say the item is mislabeled but I was disappointed. I really wasn't expecting a bunch of mussels, claws & prawns in the shell. Makes a mess & it really wasn't that good. My first clue as to the quality of this restaurant should have been the bread rolls served in tear open plastic bags. The next clue was the plastic pouch of lemon juice for my "seafood". Two customers did finally come in after I had been there an hour & 20 min. I hope their experience was better than mine. This place would not stay open long in most cities so my guess is they have enough tourist trade to stay open. Prices & portions were reasonable but considering the quality I suggest you try elsewhere.

Visited December 2013
Warsaw, Poland
“Amazing garlic prawns and fish stew!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We went to Alpendre on our last night in Lisbon. We always check reviews on trip advisor and, to be honest, I am quite surprised this place is only 20th! We're both quite a foodies and like to try different things. We came to Alpendre pretty early, around 7 pm, and were lucky enough to get one of the last tables as the place filled up pretty quickly. We started with garlic prawns, which in my humble opinion, were the best prawns I ever had! I savoured every piece. We followed by typical Portuguese fish & seafood stew with turbot which was far from a disappointment either. Watch out, as it is a bit too much for the two of us! :) It was a pleasant surprise when, including a bottle of house white and some bread & cheese as an appetiser, the bill came up to 40 euro for the two of us. We really enjoyed the company of the staff and unpretentious decor. Food was amazingly fresh and simply delicious. We will definitely be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Delicious cataplana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Had a fantastic lunch here on our visit. We shared the cataplana which was amazing, really tasty. Great to see them fetch the fish from the window fridge (no idea what it was!). Everything was cooked freshly, and was just amazing. Service was very good, and with a smile and joke.
I just wish we had found it sooner, we would have eaten here one evening as well.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere