“A work of Art; a beautiful day out.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cristo Rei Statue

Cristo Rei Statue
Avenida Cristo Rei 27A, Lisbon 2800-056, Portugal (Baixa)
21 275 1000
Website
Update attraction details
Ranked #20 of 214 attractions in Lisbon
Type: Monuments/ Statues
Attraction Details
Athens,Greece
5 attraction reviews
“A work of Art; a beautiful day out.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

From Cais do Sodre I boarded the boat to Cacilhas. There is one boat every 20 minutes and the trip takes 15 minutes. The return ticket costs 2.80€, and I think the viva viagem day card can be used. From the port I took bus number 101, return ticket 1.90€, that left me to the entrance of the area where the Statue is located. Unfortunately the bus leaves every 30 minutes, and to go to the statue on foot is not advisable. The elevator to the top costs 4€, and the Statue is really great. Certainly the view from the top is breathtaking, and -from what I saw-Setubal district is amazing. I wish I had made plans to stay more to this place, because I would have liked to wander around on foot, by bus or by tram. The harbour is pathetic, but just around any corner I could see the beginnings of a beautiful city. While being up on the Statue's feet I noticed the lights that were there – to be switched on at night. So I returned to Cais do Sodre at night and saw this magnificent Statue shining. I went there on Saturday, it was slightly crowded; I suppose things must be worse Sundays.
Advice: don’t be late leaving the boat, because if you are one minute late and miss the bus, you will have to wait an entire half hour, which is what happened to me. In general a good planning is necessary. The lift takes some time to get you to the ground floor, (it cannot be used only by one person, it must be almost full) and while on the ground you will need to run to the bus –it is there, you see it, but you must go the bus stop as well; and be on time.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
25 attraction reviews
“Wow! What a view!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The visit was delightful! We had a very pleasant boat journey from Cais de Soudre across the River and then got the 101 bus up the hill. There is a very pleasant coffee shop and we enjoyed sitting outside in the sunshine. We didn't go up the Statue as the view from the base was good enough - and we felt that 5 Euros was a bit pricey. Our views across the river were amazing! The Discoverers Monument can be seen from here way over in Belem if you know where to look. With the afternoon sum shining on Lisbon, it makes for a very pleasant way to spend the afternoon. Highly recommended!

Blagoveschensk
110 attraction reviews
“very significant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Cristo-Rei is a real landmark in Lisbon. To erect the monument plenty of people contributed their money. They beliieved that Portugal was spared the effects of World War II due to their zealous prayers. Now the enormous statue of Christ embracing the city stands on the southern bank of Tejo river and can be seen from any part of Lisbon. That side is actually a residential suburb and the area around the statue is being developed, not much to see. There’s a small chapel inside. Bit the views from the very top and the observation deck are spectacular!
Tip: A budget option is to take a train from Entre Campos. And the taxi from the station on that side to the monument is only a couple of euros, station assistants help to get one. Come at 5 PM to avoid crowds.

Visited August 2012
england
4 attraction reviews
“fantastic view of the beautiful city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

we very much enjoyed our little trip to the statue. We took the boat to cacihlas and then the 101 bus to the statue (very easy and simple to do)

We arrived pretty late at around 17:45 to find we were just in time to make the last lift up to the top as they close at 18:00 - to bare that in mind when you go. It cost 5 euro to go up to the top and honestly the views are pretty good from the bottom of the statue if you really dont want to pay. Im glad we went to the top though, you get a fantastic 360 degree view and im happy we went later in the afternoon as was not so busy or too hot.

Tel Aviv, Israel
11 attraction reviews
“A perfect look out Spot !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Although it takes time to arrive this statue (you need to take the a ferry/boat to Cacilhas (takes about 15-20 min) and from there the bus number 101) it worth the effort ! It costs 5 Euros to go up to the top by the elevator. i was impressed by the statue but much more by the great view of the city and the famous 25 of April Bridge .you can take there many wonderful pics !

Visited September 2012