“wow'd” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 219 hotels in Lisbon
Chandler, Arizona
“wow'd”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was probably one of the best places we have ever stayed at both for food and accommodations. The views were fantastic and rooms super clean and ultra modern (hard time figuring out the shower knobs :-). We had corner room with spa on the balcony and views of the river and Padrão dos Descobrimentos monument. The beds were very firm and pillows soft - just the way we like it. The staff was very friendly and seemed to go out of their way to help. And the restaurant is 5 star for sure. My only concern would be the bar downstairs a bit noisy but closing the doors would silent it.

Room Tip: Ask for Anselmo for private tours of surrounding areas. Not that expensive and he is VERY knowledgab...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
altisbelem, General Manager at Altis Belem, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you for your choice for Altis Belem Hotel & Spa during your stay in Lisbon.

Also on the behalf of our staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on publishing and sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor, your comments and suggestions help us fine-tune our services and keep our team motivated.

Looking forward to welcome you back in a near future to the Altis Belém Hotel & Spa, I remain

408 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Greek first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Chose this hotel because it was one of the few 'modern' hotels located in Lisbon. I was extremely pleased with the choice! It is about a ten minute taxi ride from the centre of Lisbon, so it was a perfect location. Taxis in Lisbon are VERY affordable, so not an issue at all. The hotel is right on the Tagus river (our rooms had views of the marina).

Very modern, clean and comfortable!

Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
altisbelem, General Manager at Altis Belem, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your choice on the Altis Belem Hotel & Spa during your stay in Lisbon.

Also on the behalf of our staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor, your comments and suggestions help us fine-tune our services.

We continue to strive and deliver quality services which are a hallmark of Altis guest service excellence.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the future to the Altis Belém Hotel & Spa, I remain

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed for a week during August in a lovely room overlooking the marina. Each room has a 'theme' and ours was 'curry', although this sounds a lot more romantic in Portuguese! The bed was enormous and the floor to ceiling window meant you could be 'outside in' when fully opened. We were met and shown round and found all the staff extremely courteous. The food in the restaurant 'Mensagem' was delicious and we thought good value, especially having paid Paris food prices last year. We ate here twice and on our last night we were presented with complimentary dessert wine and port which was a nice touch.

I swam in the indoor pool which is bath temperature.
Even thought the hotel is next to a large dual carriageway and railway, we found the rooms quiet once the window is closed, and we did not hear any other fellow guests so had a relaxing week.

As others have said, the location is brilliant and very convenient for relaxing walks along the Tagus river after a hard days sightseeing. The tour buses stop near the hotel and offer a convenient method for getting to the centre of Lisbon.

We had a great holiday in this hotel.

Room Tip: We thought overlooking the marina were best as you also get a good view of the Tagus
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
altisbelem, General Manager at Altis Belem, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
It has been a great pleasure having you with us.
Altis Belém Hotel & Spa seeks to continuously improve the guest experience. On the behalf of our team I thank you for your choice and feedback publication on this site.

We continue to strive and deliver quality services which are a hallmark of Altis guest service excellence and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Zofingen, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Great stylish room with nice view on marina, very modern with high quality furniture and lot's of space. Good bed. Top service, very clean hotel, low noise. Windows can be opened. Make sure to have a view onto the harbor or river.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

On the behalf of our staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on sharing your experience and opinion on this site.

Yours sincerely,

Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

It was our first visit to Lisbon. We booked four nights at the Altis Belém. I was left with mixed feelings about the hotel.

This started with our arrival. The taxi from the airport could not get the barrier to open so dropped us at the gate. The entrance is fairly obscure. It is a plain glass door opening into a glass corridor, which I mistook for a fire escape exit and walked straight past it. It looks like a side door in an office building. Once through the door, you have to walk down a corridor to find the reception. There is no doorman or staff on hand to help with luggage. Indeed on the one of only two occasions anyone held the door open for me, was a member of staff going outside for a smoke. At any time of the day a number of hotel staff can be found outside the hotel puffing away. Therefore, the meet and greet is far from 5-star.

Check in was smooth and efficient and the hotel had taken note of my request for two rooms next to each other. We had room 118 (a diplomatic suite for us) and 117 (a deluxe room for my 16 year old daughter). 118 is a corner suite, which has a balcony and fabulous views over both the Targus River and the Doca do Bom Sucesso marina. The location is fantastic and feels very much like a sea view.

The rooms were both very nice. There were a few minor irritations. As many reviewers have noted, if you do not ensure that the shower doors is sealed tight, the bathroom quickly floods. This happened to both my wife and me. Also, the bathroom has clear glass walls, offering no privacy at all (the WC is separate). Personally, I prefer privacy when I wash and bathe and a band of privacy film applied to the glass would be welcome. There was no shower in my daughter's room just a bath, which was disappointing. The lighting system in the rooms is also unnecessarily fiddly. However the rooms are scrupulously clean, the sheets are changed daily and the rooms have a very light and airy feel to them.

The other thing I had not noticed was they actually charge guests for using the coffee making facilities in the room! I have stayed in all manner of hotels from some very cheep hotels and guest houses in my younger days through to 5-star and I have never been charged for this before. We were charged 4.40 Euros per time cup of coffee, which of course we had to make ourselves and no milk was provided. Personally I think this is outrageous and I would not have used the facilities on principle had I been aware that I would be charged at the time.

We tried Bar 38°41' (its geographical coordinates) although if you visit the bar during the day you could be forgiven for believing that the 41 minutes refers to how long it takes them to serve you a drink. We were in the bar one afternoon, with 10 other guests and 3 bar staff. It took them 17 minutes to deliver our drinks. The service is so abysmal that we only stayed for two drinks. In contrast, we ate two evening meals at café Mensagem and we had our breakfast there every morning. I thought the food and service were first rate and would recommend them. I did not try the Michelin star restaurant (Feilaria Bar) as I did not like the menu but it looked very busy in the evenings so I suspect it is very good.

The real advantage of the Altis Belém is its location. It is about 20 minutes from the centre of Lisbon either by cab or hop on a number 15 Tram, which stops a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. There is so much to do within walking distance of the hotel, that there is little need to travel into central Lisbon. The two main UNESCO sites of the Jeronimos Monastery and Fort are a couple of minutes walk from the hotel as are loads of museums, the presidential residence and the tropical gardens. If I return to Lisbon, I will definitely stay in Belém.

Overall, the hotel has some cutting edge design some of which works, such as the rooms and balconies, the airy reception and public spaces and some of which does not such as the very dark corridors, glass bathrooms, poorly sealed shower doors and concealed main entrance (made worse by the lack of a doorman). The hotel is bolstered by serving first class food. Therefore, I would rate it as very good rather than excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the marina as they have the best views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Also on the behalf of our staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on sharing on this site your opinion on such a profitable way to show how much our team still have to improve, your comments and suggestions help us fine-tune our services, we have taken good note of your opinion to keep working on refining.

Leiden, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We went from The Oitavos in Cascais to Altis Belem in Lisbon. It took some adjustment.
From the country to the city. From a large hotel to a design hotel. The exterior of the hotel – modern architecture – was exciting. The interior matched that. The hotel is situated on the banks of Tejo, so the view is beautiful.
The receptionist at the hotel was extremely welcoming. Unfortunately the – as they advertise - ‘exclusive gourmet restaurant specialising in signature dishes’ Feitoria was closed for the holiday. That was a big disappointment. But the sushi chef at the other restaurant almost made up for that. The menu was very nice. Breakfast was lovely.
The modern design rooms were comfortable and offered a wonderful view on the river. Amazing to experience the wonders of nature when from one moment to another the view was blogged by a fog, which disappeared as quick as it appeared.
Three of us visited the Bspa. I was enthusiastic about Magda who gave me a manicure and a pedicure. Magda has devine hands. My husband had a massage and my daughter a facial programme. Both of them were not impressed. They rated it as ‘ok’. Important to say that my husband compared it to his massage 2 days earlier at the Oitavos, which was “of a different class”. It is hard to beat that. What I personally did not like at the Bspa was the pushiness of the staff to sell Karin Herzog products. When I came in, they were ambushing a guest. When I finished there was the ambush again. I don’t feel this type of behaviour, hard sell, suites a 5-star hotel. I blame management, because I figure that the pushiness comes from the reward system implemented by management. If you put a target on sales of the products, then you can expect pushiness from the staff. Furthermore they mixed up our reservation; they booked it for the wrong day.
All in all a very nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Also on the behalf of our staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on sharing your experience with thw world on this site.

Your comments and suggestions help us fine-tune our services, we have taken good note of your opinion to keep working on improving.

Setubal, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Fall asleep and waking up looking to the Tagus River, in a extraordinary city like Lisbon and in an amazing hotel, where the kindness and efficiency of the staff are 2 of its major brands, makes this stay an unique experience.
We strongly recommend it.
Felipe Frazão

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
altisbelem, General Manager at Altis Belem, responded to this review, August 29, 2012

Also on the behalf of our entire staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on sharing such a motivating review, your comments and suggestions help us to improve our services and to motivate our team.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back in the future to the Altis Belém Hotel & Spa.

Anabela Bártolo

Been to Altis Belem? Share your experiences!