“A unique place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Pensao Royal
Rua do Crucifixo 50, 3rd fl, Lisbon 1100, Portugal (Baixa)   |
Ranked #19 of 132 Lisbon B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A unique place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I loved our stay in Pensao Royal. Paula is a great host. She is the best to tell you all the little tips, to make your stay amazing. Great location, very central but not noisy. The room was beautifully decorated, and the breakfast is just amazing !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tel-Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is not a guest-house. It is also not a small hotel. It is something else, a very special place, even a kind of magic place. Now, Lisbon can be seen as a magical city, so it is fitting for the location, but this is not it. Whereas, Lisbon is melancholic and introvert, this place is not, so it is actually a contrast to the city. The first time you arrive, you certainly don't know what to expect. The building in the Baixa district does not really look promising. You stand there wondering if this was indeed the right choice. Then you walk up three floors and wonder again, how many times a day I will be able to walk up this floor. None of this prepares you for your destination. The stair-case looks like it has seen better days and then you come to the door and ring the bell. A woman opens the door and asks you in and in many ways you don't really know what you see now is real or not. You feel like you just walked through the door of your children's room and into a magic world of fairy-tales. You haven't seen so many different colors since childhood, stuffed animals, dolls and many little things you can't possibly pay attention the first time. I arrived very tired from a nightly train ride from Madrid, it was very early in the morning and I couldn't really distinguish if this was my fatigue or if this place was indeed real. The owner of the place, Paula, who over the next days was a like a good fairy of her Pensao showed me my room. When I entered it, I was overwhelmed by the colors, the walls, the dolls, the pillows on the bed. I had re-entered childhood and nobody has prepared me for that. Since it was early in the morning, Paula the fairy, asked me to come to the kitchen and have breakfast. So, I went into the kitchen. Again, I was not sure, if it was my fatigue or something else, but I don't remember seeing a colorful kitchen like this in decades. I looked at the table and there it was, I was invited to a birthday party of 8 year olds. Pastries, cookies, chocolates, cakes, everything little kids liked. I was so overwhelmed I couldn't touch anything and just had a cup of coffee – yes, coffee, grown ups live here anyway.
In short this is a magic place. My room was spacious, the bathroom rather large, impeccably clean and cleaned every day. I couldn't have felt better in a five star hotel. Paula – I still wonder if she is a real person or one of the heteronyms of Fernando Pessoa – is always there to answer your questions. She is there when you wake up early in the morning to prepare breakfast, she is there when you come back in the afternoons to rest and she is there when you arrive late at night after being out. And she will answer all your questions, where to eat, where to walk, where to listen to Fado and whatever it is you want to know about Lisbon. The location is extremely convenient, right next to the Metro stop of the Baixa (thus it will take you around 30 minutes to get to or from the airport with one change); you can walk to the Alfama neighborhood or the Barrio Alto, all very near. You just need to figure out how many times you want to walk up the three floors. If this does not bother you, go there, no need to search for another place. I hardly remember being in such a special place before. And being transported into a magic world of your childhood has some advantages and counts for something. The price is more than fair for what you get. Just remember: don't expect the comfort of a 5 star hotel and if climbing stairs is not for you, go somewhere else, but Lisbon is about climbiing anway. I would never go anywhere else in Lisbon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

All I can do is repeat all the positive comments left by other reviewers. Penao Royal is very clean, brightly decorated and a welcoming environment. Paula is a great host and obviously likes people to feel at home. And of course, the phenomenal breakfast! Very well situated in the centre of Lisbon too, close to various forms of transport making day trips very easy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Pensao Royal is well situated, close to Bairro Alto, in the center of lisbon. We arrived very late, our first impression was: "nice location, extraordinary room".
But in the morning when we wake up, we've been astonished about the pensao: it's a fanciful, colourful, amazing arranged place with many lovely details.
Every room has an other theme and colour, is different arranged and got his own vibe- we stayed there twice, in two different rooms.
My daughter felt like alice from alice in wonderland, it was hard to move her out of the pensao ;)
The breakfast was delicious-cakes, tartes, cookies as far as the eyes can see, everything handmade by Paula!
Paula is a gorgeous host, she was carring and helpful, we got a lot of good advices.
It wasn't just the clean, creative arranged rooms in a perfect location that made our stay there so nice, it was also her, creating a warm and cosy atmosphere!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My review is very late, I stayed at Paula's warm and cosy guesthouse in February this year and October 2012 and she is as amazing (if not more!) than the reviews suggest!

I visited during my 25th birthday week and she went above and beyond her obligations as a host and was more like a friend. On one particularly quiet night Paula, 2 fellow guests and my boyfriend and I shared an incredibly tasty bacalhau in cream dish and wine which was fun and on my last night we shared funky/funny chicken pizza just because we wanted to stay in after a tiring day and it was too late to hunt down restaurants.

The breakfasts are divine and the rooms are so well designed and looked after you can rest easy that the little things are taken care of and can just relax and enjoy yourself. She loves her city and will tell you all sorts of interesting facts if you let her though if you a more private guest she respects that also.

Am I coming back? Definitely! I never stay in the same place twice but Pensao Royal is an exception. See you in October :)

Ooh and say hello to CÉSAR for me (hopefully I spelled that right!)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The previous reviews accurately reflect the hospitality you experience when you stay at Pensao Royal. It was our first visit to Portugal so were apprehensive, but Paula is friendly, helpful, intuitive and speaks good English, but happy to put up with bad Portuguese as well! She provides directions and great recommendations for eateries that are away from the tourist areas but easy to find. We stayed 2 nights en route to Sintra. The metro station is nearby so easy to get to from the airport. And central to the Rossio station (where the Sintra train departs), the 28 and 15 trams, Praca Commercia and the central shopping area. Our room was delightfully cat-themed, clean, comfortable and had everything we needed including a neat en-suite where everything worked well. It was hot in Lisbon in late June, so the air-conditioner was very useful to cool the room at night. Breakfast, as explained in previous reviews is a feast with something for everyone including lots of fruit, yoghurt, delicious savoury egg tarts (the Portuguese love their eggy tarts!), cake, coffee, juice and lots more. Plus Paula seems to gather together guests from around the world who are interesting and willing to share their experiences, so breakfast and the foyer become places to share experiences and recommendations for getting out and about in the wonderful city of Lisbon. The sign from the street is small so keep your eyes peeled, and the steps up the amazing stairwell can be testing after a long day, but the Pensao Royal that greets you is relaxing, fun and a great place to base yourself in Lisbon. We will definitely be returning to Lisbon and would stay with Paula again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Location, great. Paula, omnipresent. Breakfast, plentiful. Rooms, immaculate.

Really enjoyed my time in Lisbon and I'm sure Paula added to this experience. When she gets AC for the rooms it will be 5 star. Definitely go here for a chilled out, informal B&B. Beats any hotel I've ever stayed in. Just be warned, after a long journey the stairs up to the pension are knackering and don't bring heels (girlfriend's advice) due to cobbles around Lisbon.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Pensao Royal? Share your experiences!