“We already miss the lovely Paola and her famous breakfast!” 5 of 5 stars

Pensao Royal
Rua do Crucifixo 50, 3rd fl, Lisbon 1100, Portugal (Baixa)   |
Ranked #19 of 132 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“We already miss the lovely Paola and her famous breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at this clean & lovely hostel March 9 for 3 nights and absolutely loved it! Our room was clean & cute (like every room at this hostel), but what really stood out for us was Paola's hospitality and kindness to all her guests. By the time you leave, you feel like part of the family. She hugged us and wished us well as we were leaving, and I knew right then and there how much I'll miss her. And I was right.
She was always helpful when we were trying to plan out our day, ready with tips, restaurant recommendations and directions. On top of that Paola also bakes the most AMAZING pies and pastries for the breakfast. It's places like Paola's Pensao Royal that really stand out on your trip because of the highest customer service and dedication. We would recommend this place without any hesitation, it had everything we wanted and much more! We'll definitely go back and stay here again when we're back in Lisbon!

Obrigada Paola!! I wear your scarf you gave me and think of you
Yelena & Nathan

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

If not charmed by Lisbon you'll be definitelly charmed by Paola - by her brilliant approach, perfect service, huge help and amazing cakes! I was lucky as I enjoyed pretty much of both. It is worth it to stay there!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights in a great location in the centre of Lisbon. Paula cooks the most amazing breakfasts so you feel like you are at a tea party every morning. Paula was always really helpful showing us what to do and see, and teaching us about Portugal. She goes above and beyond to make sure you have a good stay, she really tries to help you save money and plan your itinerary in the best possible manner. There were even a few surprises for us along the way. Thanks for the codfish and the amazing memories! We hope we can come back to stay with Paula soon with the money we saved. A unique experience.

• Stayed March 2013
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I spent 5 nights in this hotel with my friends. The accomodation has a good atmosphere, rooms and corridors are colorful and full of decorations, figures, paintings - every day you could discover something new. Paula was very helpful, she has given good tips what to see, where to go for a dinner. She also helped a lot to rent a car, which was the best way to discover the surroundings. The breakfast was delicious: different types of cheese, ham, toast, coffe, and so many cakes. Rooms and bathrooms are cleaned every day.
Best choice for couples and friends who want to spend some days in a familiar environment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Got back just two days ago, and I already miss open-hearted Paula, her famous breakfast and her happy and colourful pensao. Everything you've read here is true: the nice atmosphere, Paula's devotion, Paula's tips, great location of the pensao, etc. But I guess you've already got lots of info on the above matters.
So, what I would definately like to stress, is the spotlessly clean rooms, which is not always usual in that type of accomodation. Paula used to clean my room everyday, and I still remember that fresh smell each time I got back after these long days (and nights sometimes).
I would definately get back there, actually I'm looking forward to it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I and my boy friend stayed at this cozy bed and breakfast for 3 nights. The breakfast was amazing as I read, and on sunday morning before going to Belem to taste the famous egg tart, Paula baked her own and it tasted so good as the Belem's. She constantly gave us good advice for good local places, such as fado restaurant. On the checkout day we left for Porto, she packed us some bread for us to eat in the long bus trip. For the rest of our journey we missed her and kept talking about her true kindness. If you feel real local Portugese kindness, I'll recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2013
Edina, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Like everyone else, we love Pensao Royal. And the reason is Paula! She is very kind and helpful and you will not experience better food in Portugal. We've stayed at Pensao Royal twice and we loved it both times.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pensao Royal? Share your experiences!