“What a lovely place with the most kind and thoughtful host :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pensao Royal

You added Pensao Royal to your Saves list
Pensao Royal
Rua do Crucifixo 50, 3rd fl, Lisbon 1100, Portugal (Baixa, Rossio & Restauradores)   |
Ranked #44 of 187 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Uk
“What a lovely place with the most kind and thoughtful host :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My friend and I had the great pleasure of staying at this wonderful place for 3 nights. The owner Paula goes out of her way to help you. The place is immaculate, very well presented and the themed dining room changes daily. The breakfast is the most appetising I have ever experienced. Her wealth of local knowledge is outstanding. I can't recommend this place enough.
Prior to arriving we booked an online cookery course with a company with a hefty price tag and sadly it wasn't what we expected it to be. So the next evening Paula invited us to watch her make a traditional Portuguese family meal which was amazing! It tasted sensational. At the end of the evening we went to help clear up and she would not accept our offer of help. She really is just a tremendous lady. I'm sure you won't find another place quite like it :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed for 4 days with my girlfriend in early December, and Paula couldn't have been more helpful!
From the very beginning to the end she always wanted to help in any way, and it was amazing to think that it is just her who runs the whole show.
And those breakfasts! I can't remember a better breakfast, and the cakes are the best in the whole of Lisbon.
Really great stay, many many thanks, for all the help and kindness.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Pensao Royal mid-October for four nights. I had chosen the Pensao based on reading Trip Advisor reviews, and it was everything I'd read--a sweet and quirky place, a generous and knowledgeable host, a jaw-droppingly good breakfast, an awesome location, and a great value. I couldn't be happier with the experience. My only sadness is that I know I will never find another hotel/B&B/anything that is so exciting and generous. Paula really is lovely, and she knows her stuff!

Room Tip: If you need a shower with both a curtain and a hands-free sprayer (i.e., the water comes out of the...
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We spent 3 days in Lisbon and it was a perfect experience with Paula's suggestions.
She manages all the Pensao on her own and she's always ready to make your trip as its best with a great breakfast, great welcome and the best tips about restaurants, trasports and museums (absolutely you must trust her!!).
All the rooms were very clean and with its private WC. Perfectly located in Chiado district, close to everything interesting and in a very quiet street (very helpful for your sleep)
If I ever will come back in Lisbon, definetely I will stay at Pensao Royal

• 3 of 5 stars
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

There's not much to add to what has been said by everyone else. Pensao Royal is quirky but it is also special. Three things stand out: the outstanding location, the extraordinary breakfasts, and, most of all, Paola, who is the perfect host.

The Pensao is about 50m from the Baixa/Chiado metro station (and the metro now goes to the airport). It's a short walk to most of the main sights, and the immediate vicinity is pleasant.

You've read about the breakfasts, and they don't disappoint. Paola gets up in the small hours to make an amazing array of cakes, pastries, tortillas, fruit salad etc. We counted 14 home made items on a single morning and there are new things every day. Combined with the table settings, this is breakfast as theatre.

Finally, Paola is a wonderful person who seems to spend her life looking after her guests, advising on trips, restaurants and travel plans. Staying with Paola is like staying with a knowledgeable friend in Lisbon. It was certainly her who made our visit of four days so successful. Unsurprisingly, the Pensao is plastered with thank you letters from appreciative guests.

This is not the place for you if you are looking for a standard hotel; if you are looking for something unusual but special, you won't regret it.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

As all the reviews before me say, this place is quirky but fab. Breakfast to die for. Paula, the owner is wonderful, and so accommodating, it is like having your own personal travel agent. If anyone goes, please look out for a brightly coloured yellow sunshine luggage tag and report back as to where it is. Paula fell in love with it when we arrived, and I just had to present it to her when we left. The only down side for me, was the noise at night, but then I am not a city person. This was soon remedied with some ear plugs, (kept out hubbies snoring as well)!! Colouful, clean and the perfect spot to explore the city of Lisbon and beyond, with a metro station literally across the road. Trams and buses at the bottom of the road. Highly reccomend the public tranport system, it is so cheap and more importantly reliable. Had we known our way round better on the Metro, when we arrived, we wouldn't have been ripped off by the taxi driver at the airport.

• 3 of 5 stars
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Paula is an amazing host. She looked after us as if we were family. Her breakfasts were divine and she even cooked us her award winning dish. The hostel is in a great location and well maintained. Paula gave excellent advise on places to see and where to eat at. Thanks Paula you made our stay in Lisbon very enjoyable. The care package was delicious. Sharon and Jeanette.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family