“Don't stay here, choose somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ever Lisboa - City Center Hotel

You added Ever Lisboa - City Center Hotel to your Saves list
Ever Lisboa - City Center Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. da Liberdade, 189, Lisbon 1250-141, Portugal (Formerly VIP Inn Veneza Hotel)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #161 of 227 Hotels in Lisbon
Ireland
“Don't stay here, choose somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Room 108 - terrible, wardrobe like a cubby-hole, shower very small and dirty, plastic curtain, I waited till we returned home. Breakfast - very strange coffee. Reception: did not want to know, referred us to tourist office rather than giving simple info. Police station next door to Tourist office: many tourists waiting to have their tales recorded. A few steps down from the hotel: druggies/winos - they were peaceful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is my second stay at the Veneza. Last stay I was with my family four years ago, and our two rooms faced the main street. We found the rooms then a bit noisy due to traffic. During this stay, I was travelling solo and was given a room on the ground floor facing the back alley. It was much quieter but a bit dark as the sun did not reach the window where my room was located. Nothing to complain about in the room, but nothing to rave about either. The accomodation was adequate. The breakfast buffet was a bit leaner than what I remember from the previous stay. In fact, for the price they charge for the breakfast, I think you could do a bit better by eating down the road. There is a fascinating little place on the same side of the street about a block and a half away. All the locals seem to eat there. Many grab a bite and stand at the counter. Anyways, I tried it after having the hotel's buffet for a couple of days and being a little disappointed.
For me, the best part of this hotel is the location. The drop off and pick up for the bus to the airport is just a few metres away. Plus it is an easy walk to the historic area .
The front desk staff were okay. Some were friendly and helpful. Others were a little stiff. My stay lasted 4 nights so I experienced a variety of staff.
Would I stay here again? Probably. But definitely I would suggest to grab breakfast somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I wrote about Veneza before.
Well, we went back again, and the status is the same: Good price, clean room, nice staff. The rugs are still a little bit worn out, but so are mine at home too, so I guess I´m used to it....
OK, the air condition did not work optimally, but I am glad for that: It is easy to turn it on all the way up when the temperature is above 25 C, and that´s when you really get sick. So thanks for not working so well.

Otherwise the breakfast is still overpriced, we get a good one in a coffeehouse some 100 m down the street.

The staff is very helpful too, we had a light problem when we needed to extend our stay for a week, but the General Manager dona Carla solved our problems in a blink.

I still cannot understand why some people complain about the staff... In Portugal, you need to give a smile to receive one. That shouldn´t be difficult to achieve?

Room Tip: As usual: Second floor and not facing the front of the building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Zagreb, Croatia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The positive side of this hotel is the location. The rooms are relatively clean.
However, I did not like the staff at the reception desk. They first put us in a tiny room with a window looking at other windows - in the sense that you could literally reach the windows opposite your room just by stretching your arm. (They did change our room to a better one - although not a really nice one - when we requested it). One male concierge was really awkward: he did not speak to me (a female), but only spoke to my male partner even when I was the one speaking directly to him. We asked him to suggest a nice, relatively cheap, non-touristy place to eat near by, and he gave us a leaflet for an obviously very touristy, very expensive place across the town. All in all, we felt that he really treated us like we were stupid tourists just waiting to be scammed.

• Stayed July 2012
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I spent 4 nights here in late May 2012 as a start to our month long trip through Portugal.

We enjoyed our stay here.

The hotel is clean and the room we had was a good size.
Although the hotel is on a busy street, there are trees that act as a sound buffer.
There was a small balcony that served as a clothesline for our laundry; it dried very well.
A great positive is that the bus from the airport stops about 2 blocks from the hotel. The bus fare is only 3.5€ per person, much cheaper than a cab.
The location is ideal for sight seeing; only a 10 minute walk from the water front.

On the negative side,

they charge 8€ per person for breakfast which is really expensive. As you exit the front door of the hotel, turn right and there is a fabulous pastry shop 100 yards down the street on the same side as the hotel where you can have a breakfast of pastry and coffee for 2 for about 6€.

they charge for internet access. Hotels have to get over this policy. Even small family run B&B's in rural northern Portugal provided free WiFi in common areas.

the bed was rock hard. Both of us had sore hips after spending 4 nights here

all in all a pretty good place to stay in Lisbon. Include breakfast in cost of the room, add WiFi for free in common areas, soften the mattresses and it would be an excellent choice far as I am concerned.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

Booked in for three nights; first night got a tiny rooftop room with single pane windows and heard every car going down the avenue. Second night had a room in the back hoping for quiet night.

When I returned from dinner after a rainy evening, found the carpet soaking by the window and the rather unpleasant stink of wet flooring. Had a friend booked to stay here too but their room was also flooded so had to be re roomed in another hotel.

Staff was very friendly and offered breakfast for my inconvenience but not sure I will be up in time to enjoy there offer as it is almost three in the AM and disco music has been blaring for the last few hours...

Too many good hotels in Lisbon to stay here.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Ever Lisboa - City Center Hotel? Share your experiences!