“Went back again...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 141 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Norway
“Went back again...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I wrote about Veneza before.
Well, we went back again, and the status is the same: Good price, clean room, nice staff. The rugs are still a little bit worn out, but so are mine at home too, so I guess I´m used to it....
OK, the air condition did not work optimally, but I am glad for that: It is easy to turn it on all the way up when the temperature is above 25 C, and that´s when you really get sick. So thanks for not working so well.

Otherwise the breakfast is still overpriced, we get a good one in a coffeehouse some 100 m down the street.

The staff is very helpful too, we had a light problem when we needed to extend our stay for a week, but the General Manager dona Carla solved our problems in a blink.

I still cannot understand why some people complain about the staff... In Portugal, you need to give a smile to receive one. That shouldn´t be difficult to achieve?

Room Tip: As usual: Second floor and not facing the front of the building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Zagreb, Croatia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

The positive side of this hotel is the location. The rooms are relatively clean.
However, I did not like the staff at the reception desk. They first put us in a tiny room with a window looking at other windows - in the sense that you could literally reach the windows opposite your room just by stretching your arm. (They did change our room to a better one - although not a really nice one - when we requested it). One male concierge was really awkward: he did not speak to me (a female), but only spoke to my male partner even when I was the one speaking directly to him. We asked him to suggest a nice, relatively cheap, non-touristy place to eat near by, and he gave us a leaflet for an obviously very touristy, very expensive place across the town. All in all, we felt that he really treated us like we were stupid tourists just waiting to be scammed.

• Stayed July 2012
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I spent 4 nights here in late May 2012 as a start to our month long trip through Portugal.

We enjoyed our stay here.

The hotel is clean and the room we had was a good size.
Although the hotel is on a busy street, there are trees that act as a sound buffer.
There was a small balcony that served as a clothesline for our laundry; it dried very well.
A great positive is that the bus from the airport stops about 2 blocks from the hotel. The bus fare is only 3.5€ per person, much cheaper than a cab.
The location is ideal for sight seeing; only a 10 minute walk from the water front.

On the negative side,

they charge 8€ per person for breakfast which is really expensive. As you exit the front door of the hotel, turn right and there is a fabulous pastry shop 100 yards down the street on the same side as the hotel where you can have a breakfast of pastry and coffee for 2 for about 6€.

they charge for internet access. Hotels have to get over this policy. Even small family run B&B's in rural northern Portugal provided free WiFi in common areas.

the bed was rock hard. Both of us had sore hips after spending 4 nights here

all in all a pretty good place to stay in Lisbon. Include breakfast in cost of the room, add WiFi for free in common areas, soften the mattresses and it would be an excellent choice far as I am concerned.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

Booked in for three nights; first night got a tiny rooftop room with single pane windows and heard every car going down the avenue. Second night had a room in the back hoping for quiet night.

When I returned from dinner after a rainy evening, found the carpet soaking by the window and the rather unpleasant stink of wet flooring. Had a friend booked to stay here too but their room was also flooded so had to be re roomed in another hotel.

Staff was very friendly and offered breakfast for my inconvenience but not sure I will be up in time to enjoy there offer as it is almost three in the AM and disco music has been blaring for the last few hours...

Too many good hotels in Lisbon to stay here.

• Stayed May 2012
Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I read some of the reviews from other travellers, and I really do not understand why people are so negative.
Well, it´s thrue that the hotel has seen better days, and the carpets are a bit worn-out. On the other hand, the rooms were clean and the personal were kind – being born in Portugal, I know how Portuguese people think, and they are not rude unless the guest is rude towards them. My advice is to smile when you talk to them, even if you know that you are right and they are way out wrong. It helps, believe me.

Positive: Clean, helpfull staff, central in town.

The only negative thing about this hotel is that they charge €8,50 per person for breakfast. Not far from the hotel, going down the street, stop at the nearest coffee shop. Ask for a "galao" and a "tosta mista", and you´ll get a glass of coffee with milk (yes, a glass) and a toast with ham and cheese for less then €4 per person.

And if you like good Portuguese food at a low price, just keep on walking down the avenue until it gets narrow. Then cross the street and walk in the small street in front of you. On the right hand there is a restaurant called Sol Dourado. My favorite.

Room Tip: The higher up in the building, the better. And if you don´t mind, choose a room that opens to the ba...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

This hotel was booked by the love of my life and following our stay I loved her just a little bit less. We stayed here for the first 3 nights as part of a 7 night stay in and around Lisbon. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very young chap in an ill fitting suit and his demeanour was somber and uninterested to say the least. Our room was on the small size and the air con unit blew a token gesture breeze that meant I would at least shed a few pounds during the stay. When we mentioned that the air con unit was not working correctly were we met with two grunts and a shrug of the shoulders by the 666 scribed teen. Upon requesting a fork and knife one evening I was informed that it was 'against hotel policy' to lend such items. The location of the hotel was good and the customer service of the young chaps actually became quite an amusing experience. Were they just uncomfortable in their changing bodies or were they just rude, unhelpful gits? Wht underpinned the stay was the feeling that we were not welcome and our comfort was bottom of the staffs list of concerns The nice staircase is ropped off also, nicht gut.

Room Tip: Not at the VIP Veneza
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to VIP Inn Veneza Hotel? Share your experiences!