“You can find better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 141 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Zagreb, Croatia
“You can find better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

The positive side of this hotel is the location. The rooms are relatively clean.
However, I did not like the staff at the reception desk. They first put us in a tiny room with a window looking at other windows - in the sense that you could literally reach the windows opposite your room just by stretching your arm. (They did change our room to a better one - although not a really nice one - when we requested it). One male concierge was really awkward: he did not speak to me (a female), but only spoke to my male partner even when I was the one speaking directly to him. We asked him to suggest a nice, relatively cheap, non-touristy place to eat near by, and he gave us a leaflet for an obviously very touristy, very expensive place across the town. All in all, we felt that he really treated us like we were stupid tourists just waiting to be scammed.

• Stayed July 2012

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I spent 4 nights here in late May 2012 as a start to our month long trip through Portugal.

We enjoyed our stay here.

The hotel is clean and the room we had was a good size.
Although the hotel is on a busy street, there are trees that act as a sound buffer.
There was a small balcony that served as a clothesline for our laundry; it dried very well.
A great positive is that the bus from the airport stops about 2 blocks from the hotel. The bus fare is only 3.5€ per person, much cheaper than a cab.
The location is ideal for sight seeing; only a 10 minute walk from the water front.

On the negative side,

they charge 8€ per person for breakfast which is really expensive. As you exit the front door of the hotel, turn right and there is a fabulous pastry shop 100 yards down the street on the same side as the hotel where you can have a breakfast of pastry and coffee for 2 for about 6€.

they charge for internet access. Hotels have to get over this policy. Even small family run B&B's in rural northern Portugal provided free WiFi in common areas.

the bed was rock hard. Both of us had sore hips after spending 4 nights here

all in all a pretty good place to stay in Lisbon. Include breakfast in cost of the room, add WiFi for free in common areas, soften the mattresses and it would be an excellent choice far as I am concerned.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

Booked in for three nights; first night got a tiny rooftop room with single pane windows and heard every car going down the avenue. Second night had a room in the back hoping for quiet night.

When I returned from dinner after a rainy evening, found the carpet soaking by the window and the rather unpleasant stink of wet flooring. Had a friend booked to stay here too but their room was also flooded so had to be re roomed in another hotel.

Staff was very friendly and offered breakfast for my inconvenience but not sure I will be up in time to enjoy there offer as it is almost three in the AM and disco music has been blaring for the last few hours...

Too many good hotels in Lisbon to stay here.

• Stayed May 2012
Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I read some of the reviews from other travellers, and I really do not understand why people are so negative.
Well, it´s thrue that the hotel has seen better days, and the carpets are a bit worn-out. On the other hand, the rooms were clean and the personal were kind – being born in Portugal, I know how Portuguese people think, and they are not rude unless the guest is rude towards them. My advice is to smile when you talk to them, even if you know that you are right and they are way out wrong. It helps, believe me.

Positive: Clean, helpfull staff, central in town.

The only negative thing about this hotel is that they charge €8,50 per person for breakfast. Not far from the hotel, going down the street, stop at the nearest coffee shop. Ask for a "galao" and a "tosta mista", and you´ll get a glass of coffee with milk (yes, a glass) and a toast with ham and cheese for less then €4 per person.

And if you like good Portuguese food at a low price, just keep on walking down the avenue until it gets narrow. Then cross the street and walk in the small street in front of you. On the right hand there is a restaurant called Sol Dourado. My favorite.

Room Tip: The higher up in the building, the better. And if you don´t mind, choose a room that opens to the ba...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

This hotel was booked by the love of my life and following our stay I loved her just a little bit less. We stayed here for the first 3 nights as part of a 7 night stay in and around Lisbon. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very young chap in an ill fitting suit and his demeanour was somber and uninterested to say the least. Our room was on the small size and the air con unit blew a token gesture breeze that meant I would at least shed a few pounds during the stay. When we mentioned that the air con unit was not working correctly were we met with two grunts and a shrug of the shoulders by the 666 scribed teen. Upon requesting a fork and knife one evening I was informed that it was 'against hotel policy' to lend such items. The location of the hotel was good and the customer service of the young chaps actually became quite an amusing experience. Were they just uncomfortable in their changing bodies or were they just rude, unhelpful gits? Wht underpinned the stay was the feeling that we were not welcome and our comfort was bottom of the staffs list of concerns The nice staircase is ropped off also, nicht gut.

Room Tip: Not at the VIP Veneza
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

This hotel is in a good location (with public transportation right there), and the price is good...but don't be fooled by the pictures on their website, they need to do some major renovations.

The room was large and so was the restroom, so at first glance we were happy, but as soon as you actually look at the carpet or chairs in the room you can see just how old and unpleasant they are. There were stains all over the chairs, parts of the carpet that were beyond worn out, and an overall feel of "old" in the rooms. Also, the bathroom was just embarrassing! The sink leaked onto the counter. All of the creams and toothbrushes that we placed on the counter were wet. We used extra towels just to keep the water under control. The toilet seat on our toilet bowl did not FIT! Who installs a toilet seat on a toilet bowl where every time you sit down you feel the bowl on your legs because the seat is too small? It was also loose! Seriously, that's just rude to do that to your guests.

And finally, we had a major ANT PROBLEM in our bathroom. There were three of us and on the very first few days we EACH saw (and/or killed) about 4 ants, so I can only imagine how many of them we didn't see? We should have said something the very first day (and wish we had), but I think it is IMPOSSIBLE that the maids (and probably management) did not know about this problem. I mean, if you were in the bathroom for more than a few minutes you'd see the ants, so we assumed the maid had to know! We finally broke down and told them about the problem, and they said we could move to another room. We didn't want to move at this point, and the ants did seem to disappear after we told them (I wish I knew what they used to get rid of them, or was it coincidence?), but I still feel that there is no way they did not know about this problem (which is why we didn't bother to say something in the beginning).

We took the breakfast a few times and it was decent. Not great (and I think overpriced for what you get), but should be fine for most people.

Overall, I guess it's true what they say: you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is more modern (if they have one) and that doesn't have an ant problem!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to VIP Inn Veneza Hotel? Share your experiences!