“Good enough” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ever Lisboa City Center Hotel

You added Ever Lisboa City Center Hotel to your Saves list
Ever Lisboa City Center Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Av. da Liberdade, 189, Lisbon 1250-141, Portugal (Formerly VIP Inn Veneza Hotel)   |
Ranked #81 of 149 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Norway
“Good enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I read some of the reviews from other travellers, and I really do not understand why people are so negative.
Well, it´s thrue that the hotel has seen better days, and the carpets are a bit worn-out. On the other hand, the rooms were clean and the personal were kind – being born in Portugal, I know how Portuguese people think, and they are not rude unless the guest is rude towards them. My advice is to smile when you talk to them, even if you know that you are right and they are way out wrong. It helps, believe me.

Positive: Clean, helpfull staff, central in town.

The only negative thing about this hotel is that they charge €8,50 per person for breakfast. Not far from the hotel, going down the street, stop at the nearest coffee shop. Ask for a "galao" and a "tosta mista", and you´ll get a glass of coffee with milk (yes, a glass) and a toast with ham and cheese for less then €4 per person.

And if you like good Portuguese food at a low price, just keep on walking down the avenue until it gets narrow. Then cross the street and walk in the small street in front of you. On the right hand there is a restaurant called Sol Dourado. My favorite.

Room Tip: The higher up in the building, the better. And if you don´t mind, choose a room that opens to the ba...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

This hotel was booked by the love of my life and following our stay I loved her just a little bit less. We stayed here for the first 3 nights as part of a 7 night stay in and around Lisbon. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very young chap in an ill fitting suit and his demeanour was somber and uninterested to say the least. Our room was on the small size and the air con unit blew a token gesture breeze that meant I would at least shed a few pounds during the stay. When we mentioned that the air con unit was not working correctly were we met with two grunts and a shrug of the shoulders by the 666 scribed teen. Upon requesting a fork and knife one evening I was informed that it was 'against hotel policy' to lend such items. The location of the hotel was good and the customer service of the young chaps actually became quite an amusing experience. Were they just uncomfortable in their changing bodies or were they just rude, unhelpful gits? Wht underpinned the stay was the feeling that we were not welcome and our comfort was bottom of the staffs list of concerns The nice staircase is ropped off also, nicht gut.

Room Tip: Not at the VIP Veneza
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

This hotel is in a good location (with public transportation right there), and the price is good...but don't be fooled by the pictures on their website, they need to do some major renovations.

The room was large and so was the restroom, so at first glance we were happy, but as soon as you actually look at the carpet or chairs in the room you can see just how old and unpleasant they are. There were stains all over the chairs, parts of the carpet that were beyond worn out, and an overall feel of "old" in the rooms. Also, the bathroom was just embarrassing! The sink leaked onto the counter. All of the creams and toothbrushes that we placed on the counter were wet. We used extra towels just to keep the water under control. The toilet seat on our toilet bowl did not FIT! Who installs a toilet seat on a toilet bowl where every time you sit down you feel the bowl on your legs because the seat is too small? It was also loose! Seriously, that's just rude to do that to your guests.

And finally, we had a major ANT PROBLEM in our bathroom. There were three of us and on the very first few days we EACH saw (and/or killed) about 4 ants, so I can only imagine how many of them we didn't see? We should have said something the very first day (and wish we had), but I think it is IMPOSSIBLE that the maids (and probably management) did not know about this problem. I mean, if you were in the bathroom for more than a few minutes you'd see the ants, so we assumed the maid had to know! We finally broke down and told them about the problem, and they said we could move to another room. We didn't want to move at this point, and the ants did seem to disappear after we told them (I wish I knew what they used to get rid of them, or was it coincidence?), but I still feel that there is no way they did not know about this problem (which is why we didn't bother to say something in the beginning).

We took the breakfast a few times and it was decent. Not great (and I think overpriced for what you get), but should be fine for most people.

Overall, I guess it's true what they say: you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is more modern (if they have one) and that doesn't have an ant problem!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel in 2008 and we had a comfortable room. So we returned in October this year and were given a garret with a sloping ceiling, a shower that did not function and the room was stuffy. The breakfast was second rate and the coffee was undrinkable. To top it all, the staff on reception were surly. We shall not return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Morris Plains, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

I arrived a day earlier in Lisbon than my wife and friend and needed a conveniently located hotel at a reasonable price for one night. As the title or the review states, you get exactly what you pay for. The cost was 50euros for a single room (single bed, TV, shower, and bathroom). It is not a 4 or 5 star hotel where they are going to wait on you hand and foot...there is not going to be someone there to turn down your bed, rub your feet, and ensure that it is the best hotel you have ever stayed at. The room is not going to have new furnishings or flat-screen TVs in every corner. However, for 50euros I had a clean room, a bed (bring your own pillow as this one was basically like a thin piece of paper...but all european pillows seem that way to me coming from the US), a TV, and a private bath. It was easily walkable to the center of Lisbon. It was easily accessable from the AeroBus #1 coming from the airport or by car (had to do both). There is parking nearby, a couple of outdoor bars/cafes, etc. I spent most of the day walking around town and only used the room to shower and sleep. It fit all of my needs at a price that was reasonable. Would I stay here for more than one night and not on a budget...no. But, if you are just looking for a place to rest your head and get cleaned up...than this is the place for you. FYI..don't get the breakfast....for 8.50euros, go walk around and get something else.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
beirut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

we have choosen this hotel becose of the good location but you can choose any hotel in the downetowne close to a metro or bus station, you don't need to bee about 1,6 km away from st Georges castel for example. even if you are 3 km away it's not a problem because the transportations are great in lisbon. The hotel is too old and it's not very clean. However the stuff was helpful.
Portugal is great with so much things to see... I love it

Room Tip: Not close to the elevator
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We visited Lisbon and stayed in this same hotel before. it is clean and comfortable with a reasonable price for the location. The room we had this time was a bit small, but for two adults, it was not a problem. The only issue was parking as we were told there we not any spots in the lot and had to pay for public parking.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ever Lisboa City Center Hotel? Share your experiences!