“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
hamilton
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

A terrific Hotel. The Business Centre is excellent as is the help in the Centre from Maria and Arthur. We were given excellent tips about local activities. The roof-top bar is a great place for an evening drink.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Altis for several days as part of a convention group. This was a highly-rated hotel so we expected top-notch service. The rooms are modern with good water pressure and amenities. However, the breakfast service was very disappointing, with a limited range of "hot" food available, and this was uniformly cold. Cold scrambled eggs were served each day, despite alerting the staff to the fact that the flame to heat the serving dishes had burned out. There are many staff standing around to clear dishes, but few monitor the supply and heat of the food. Room service was also very disappointing, with luke-warm soup served. Fortunately, the supervisor brought up hot soup when we mentioned this problem. The hotel is on a back street off the main boulevard, with only a few shops and restaurants in the vicinity. Many of our fellow convention goers were much happier with facilities near the Atlantico Pavilion on the waterfront, which is close to major shopping and many more restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at the Altis Hotel in Lisbon for a couple of days last May this year and i was very well impressed with the quality of the services and the comfort of the accomodations, as well as the kind and attentive treatment i had from the staff. And you can sense that special treatment if you should need to print some urgent documents late at night and you find help and support from staff members.I must add to those qualities the fine location of the Hotel, next to Avenida da LIberdade,in the very heart of the city. If you should ever need a cozy place to stay at LIsbon with fine services at excelent rates, consider the Altis Hotel and you wont regret it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Redcar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights for our holiday to Lisbon.
Upon reading other people’s reviews they suggest that it is not a five star hotel in accordance with UK ratings, but I haven’t previously been to a five star hotel so I don’t have anything to compare it to. However I have stayed in two four star hotels, and one of them was Britannia International in London, and I think it was in the same league as that.
When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly woman at reception who spoke perfect English. The reception area is quite posh and spacious and you could tell the place gets used for business functions as well as catering to tourists.
The check in was simple and efficient and we were even offered assistance with our luggage up to the room, but we declined.
The room we had was very spacious and there was a decent sized double bed which I must admit was so comfy I could have left my suitcase by the bed and fell asleep then and there.
The bathroom was well equipped with complimentary toiletries such as body lotion, shampoo and shower gel and there was both a bath and shower which provided hot water in an instant.
The wardrobe space was huge as there were plenty of shelves and drawers put all our belongings in.
My boyfriend seemed impressed by the hotel, judging by what he said about the clothing rail, which was ‘You can tell this place is posh, because you can actually take the hangers off the rail.’
Robes and slippers were also provided, along with extra sheets for the bed, which we did not require as it was quite hot in our room. Luckily there was air conditioning provided which helped cool us down as it was quite hot during the first few days we were there in Lisbon.
As a girl, the first things I seem to look for when I arrive at my hotel room is plug sockets for my iron and straighteners, mirrors and desk/table space.
This hotel provided all these things in abundance, so I was pleased with the hotel already.
There were three plug sockets with the usual two pin plug, so remember to take your travel adaptors. Also, there was no iron in the room and I don’t know if the hotel can provide one, but I usually always bring one with me.
The desk space was at the bottom of the bed which allowed me to put all my stuff on there and there was also another desk in the room which had the TV resting on it. The TV had the usual foreign channels, and I believe there was BBC World News on there, but after testing it out when we initially arrived; we never bothered to watch it.
On a table near the bed there were some complimentary Portuguese egg pastries and bottled water for us. I thought this was a nice touch, and after reading other reviews about the hotel before we arrived I was hoping that these lovely pastries would be waiting for us in our room.
On another note in regards to reviews, I noticed a couple of people complaining that the rooms are dark. Obviously they have not been in the hotels I have previously stayed in; otherwise they would know what ‘dark’ was. There were plenty of lights in the room and it could be as light or dark as you wanted it to be, so hopefully that should dispel the rumour of it being a ‘dark’ hotel.
Among the additions to the room were a mini bar and safe which we did not use, and FYI if you want to purchase some cheap alcohol there is a small supermarket not too far away from the hotel that sells Portuguese beer for under a euro.
Breakfast was included as part of our stay with the hotel and I looked forward to it ever morning.
There was cereal, fruit, yoghurt, nuts, ham, salmon, cheese, fruit juices, tea and coffee, bread, and a range of croissants and pastries. Then to take cater for those who prefer an English breakfast the hotel provided bacon, sausages, scrambled and boiled eggs, beans and toast.
Also there were a few unusual items on the breakfast menu as they served a variety of vegetables every morning. During my 3 night stay the vegetables on offer were broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, sweet corn, carrots, tomatoes and cucumber.
My boyfriend thought it was funny that I was eating broccoli for breakfast, but in all honesty I love vegetables and can eat them any time of the day.
We didn’t use the shuttle bus service to get to and from the airport as they weren’t running during the times we needed them, so we used aerobus which was under four euro and got us to Av Liberdade which isn’t too far away from the hotel.
However we used the shuttle service on our first full day in Lisbon to go to Belem, as they provide transport to and from the different hotels in the Altis chain. The driver that took us there was really friendly and helpful, and after spending the whole day in Belem, it was nice to see the same driver again who efficiently drove us from Altis Belem back to our hotel and gave us a few handy pieces of advice about the area and the really useful tip about cheap alcohol.
Overall I was really impressed with the hotel and it definitely enhanced my stay in Lisbon. The staff are all really friendly and accommodating, and it was very useful that they offered luggage storage so we could enjoy the last day of Lisbon as best we could without having to drag cases around.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, and I think my boyfriend would agree that if we had the chance to go back to Lisbon, this would be the hotel we would want to stay at.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I received a good deal on the room, due to a concession rate brought by conference organisers. I was very agreeably surprised by the quality of accommodation, the breakfast food, the kindness of staff.

Just one small thing to suggest: a colleague needed to borrow an iron to press his suit's trousers - something that's very common for the business traveller - and he was told he should give them to dry cleaning with 3 days turnover. That's unfortunate: housekeeping should have been able to provide him with an iron & table on demand. After all, hotels are not only for the leisure traveller.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Found this hotel on a Travelzoo deal and was really impressed by the welcome from the moment we entered the hotel. Although we arrived early there was no issue with checking into our room immediately. Once in our room we found that the A/C was not working and we reported this to reception who sent a maintenance man up straight away. Unfortunately it was not possible to fix so we were moved to another room. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well maintained.
First night we tried the restaurant on the 12th Floor which was superb. Maybe a little on the expensive side but quality was excellent and once again so was the service.
The only sour note about this hotel is the breakfast and the room it was served in. The food was buffet style and although plentiful, not the best we have ever had. The room was definitely in need of a facelift along with redeploying staff from other parts of the hotel to replace the breakfast staff who were not the most cheerful or friendly of people.
When we were due to leave we had arranged a taxi back in the UK. Arrival was fine but taxi was running late to pick us up to head back to the airport. One of the staff, Carlos, noticed our concern and arranged for us to use the courtesy bus to the airport.
A special mention for Arthur on reception who was so friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for him. Would happily use this hotel again if ever in Lisbon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was there for 1 night for my work in Lisbon.
The hotel is very clean, staff is very friendly, en car-parc is so easy.
In total a very good experience for the 2 days (1 night) .
I will definitely go back when i have another job to do in Lisbon

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but i had a room far away from the elevator.