“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Estoril
Dublin, Ireland
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for two nights on our recent trip to Portugal. We got a good value deal on Trivago and my bf's parents had stayed here previously and had recommended it to us. We were certainly not disappointed!

The service is excellent, the staff friendly and efficient. The breakfast was an extensive buffet with lots of variety, with every taste catered for. I especially enjoyed the champagne each morning and the pancakes! The pool area was beautiful, very peaceful and well kept, a lovely spot to pass an afternoon in the sun.

Location is very central, beside Estoril station and in close proximity to bars restaurants and the casino.

The one negative for us was the room; although clean and well-appointed, it was quite small, especially considering the hotel's 5 star status.

Overall the hotel is a wonderful place for a couple of nights rest and relaxation!

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
München
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Lovely hotel, perfect location, very attentive staff. In case you have the budget, I can only recommend to enjoy a stay at this classic, historic grand hotel. Not only the hotel, but also the food is amazing there and the amenities like the pool are also recommendable.

Huncoat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This hotel is truly 5 star from the excellent spa and gym facilities to the wonderful staff for whom nothing is too much trouble. We stayed for 6 nights on B&B. Breakfast was very good standard buffet style with egg orders delivered to your table. Silver teapots with superb Ahmad London Tea, served by waiters in white jackets!
Rooms are traditional style rather then contemporary which is fitting with the hotels age ( built in 1930 ) and history. Molton Brown & towels replenished daily, beds turned down around 6pm with a chocolate each
Given the Ian Fleming link you must try a 007 Martini in the Spies Bar, but be ready to pay about 15 Euros.
The hotel is within walking distance of Estoril Beach ( 5 minutes ), train station ( 5 minutes ), Monte Estoril ( 15 minutes ) and Cascais ( 30 minutes )
If we return to Estoril then I cannot imagine staying elsewhere, 10/10

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

the hotel is a nice hotel but nothing extraordinary really in comparison to other 5 star hotels. i was staying there at a preferential rate because i was there for work as part of a conference but if i would have stayed at the full rate of 475euro per night on holidays i would have been much more vocal about my dislikes and probably very disappointed.

my room was facing the street and they had work on the road with some noise all day starting from early morning, breakfast was average, you had pretty much everything but everything of average quality. the outdoor pool was very nice and the staff also super nice and helpful. the service to the pool lounge very slow, one day the menu but gave up on ordering when realising how it would have taken to get a sandwich...another day they forgot to clean my room and when they did they never hoovered it, considering that they had carpet all over and that it's a 5 star hotel i would have expected a different attention to these type of details. outside my window there was also a lot of birds poo...
the indoor dynamic pool is also nice but went twice - once it worked, the next time the guy could not get it to work so i end up swimming instead of relaxing in the jacuzzi. i have also asked if i could have taken a fitness class at the gym and they asked for a 20 euro fees for 50 mins spinning class...overall nice but nothing to rave about. if you go on holidays youcan surely find better quality at a better deal!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We got off the cruise and from the first moment we stepped into this hotel we were impressed.
Yes: all the adjectives have been used and how can I heap more praise on this extraordinary establishment? This is a truly 5-star hotel with incredible staff from every department: from the gentleman Jose who had been the doorman since 1951, to the chambermaids who did a superb job everyday, to all the dining venue attendants: they never missed a beat and attended to every detail. This type of professionalism is hard to find this day and age. We took meals in the grand breakfast room, lunch in the Terrace Café, dinner in the Four Seasons Grill: all wonderful experiences. The Golf Sales department also deserves a "thankyou" :it rained for two solid days when we could not golf on our golfpackage, and they made special arrangements for us to have complementary dinners which we really appreciated. We look forward to returning to this very special hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We arrived from the airport and were told our room was not ready which I had expected. We were asked to wait but were told "We have a wonderful room for you". When we returned we were shown the room which was 126. I said I had booked a Deluxe Superior room and I did not think this was in that category. After some discussion and phone calls we were shown another room 328 which was bigger and told there was nothing else available. I later on went on to the website and on reading the descriptions would suggest 126 was a Classic room and 328 was a Superior room. Neither was a Deluxe Superior which is what I booked with my agent. I complained to my agent and when I paid my bill they had agreed to reduce my bill by 30 euros a night. Would they have done this if I had not complained?

I look at it this way:

If I went into a BMW showroom and ordered and paid for a BMW 7 Series and they delivered a BMW3 Series I would say I had not been given fair value.

The Hotel public rooms are stunning and the pool area very attractive. The staff worked hard and worked well and I am sure had I got the level of room I had expected I might have written a different report.

This report is here as a warning to others.

Room Tip: If you book a Superior room 328 has a balcony which I would recommend
Aberdeen, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at the Palacio Estoril Hotel for nine days in September. This really is a five star hotel. It is a beautiful building, maintained to a very high standard. The staff are well-trained, extremely professional and courteous. The hotel has a lovely pool, which is in superb condition.

The hotel sits in beautiful grounds in the centre of Estoril. There is little to do in Estoril and the choice of restaurants is poor. However, the train station is only a 7/8 minute stroll from the hotel, and regular trains run from there to Cascais, which is a beautiful place with an extensive choice of restaurants. In the other direction, the train runs to Lisbon.

We had a superior room which was fairly large and well-appointed. Unfortunately, the television, was old and offered a limited choice of channels.

Breakfast was very good, I did not dine in the hotel and bar prices were on the high side..

The only negative feature of our stay was a wedding which was held in the hotel on the Saturday. No problem at all until just after one o'clock on Sunday morning, when we were wakened by deafening music. This continued until four o'clock. I did not anticipate that in a hotel of this class.

Room Tip: Pool-facing rooms have the best views - but if there is a wedding on during your stay, opt for the o...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Palacio Estoril Hotel, Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!