“Ripped off twice” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Atlantis Sintra Estoril

You added Hotel Atlantis Sintra Estoril to your Saves list
Hotel Atlantis Sintra Estoril
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Estrada Nacional 9, Alcabideche, Estoril, Cascais 2645-545, Portugal   |
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Estoril
London
“Ripped off twice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed at this hotel as part of a group booking for three nights. I was booked to share a room with a friend for each of the three nights. Upon arrival, I was informed (as was my friend) that we were not, according to their records, to have a shared room. The hotel wanted to put us in separate rooms for the first night, thereby increasing the amount that we would collectively pay, and they would arrange a shared room for the second and third nights. We both objected and the hotel agreed to put us in the same room for all three nights.

On the morning of checking out, the hotel demanded payment for four nights (ie the first night in the single room, the same first night in the shared room, thereafter an additional two nights for the final two days). I objected but had to check out to get a flight. I have disputed this charge with my credit card.

To make matters worse, the taxi that the hotel arranged to drive me and my friends to the airport ripped us off for 55 Euros explaining that because it was a Sunday, "special" rates apply. It was only upon arrival at departures that a police officer checked the amount charged (according to local laws it should be a fixed charge of some 37 Euros) and booked the driver, who handed over the difference for which he had ripped us off.

Never, ever, again would I stay at this hotel, quite apart from the fact that as a building it should be condemned. The bathrooms are grim, the rooms plain sad, and forget going down for breakfast.

Being ripped off, twice, soured an otherwise very enjoyable trip with a group of friends.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Getting ripped off. Tired and dilapidated.
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

I stayed here with a friend for a week right in the middle of August. It was not as busy as expected. This is a relatively small, friendly hotel with good onsite facilities. Some of the reviews on this site say that it feels a bit dated - I agree - I would say it is a 3 star rather than 4 star hotel. Some of the decor is dated, or could do with a bit of maintenance, but this did not detract from our stay.

We got a taxi from Lisbon airport and the driver got lost. As a result, it cost €70 and took an hour. I believe it should have been closer to €50, but I didn't know enough Portuguese to argue! The address of this hotel is unclear. If in doubt, refer to Estoril autodrome - a very useful local landmark. (See below).

Our room was very large, with 2 double beds and a big balcony. From what we could see of other rooms, all seem of a similar size. We were lucky as we had a pool-side view. From what I could tell, the worst view you could get would be the car park. It was quite a long walk to our room though. The hotel is 2 stories high and horse-shoe shaped, and the only access is in the middle. Therefore if your room is at a far end (as ours was) it can feel quite a trip getting there!

NOTE OF CAUTION: This hotel is RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the Estoril race track. I do not know when race season is, but it would certainly be worth finding out before you go! We were fine in August, but I can imagine it would be very disturbing lying by the pool and listening to race motors. Some rooms are just across the fence from the track too. (However, it does prove useful for directing taxi drivers to!)

The swimming pool is a great size, with a jacuzzi attached. There are tennis courts and crazy golf which is all free to residents. There is a sauna on site and massages can be booked a day in advance. The staff are friendly, the restaurant is of good quality and not too expensive and the bar is accommodating too.

There was a fridge in our room which was a great touch. We only had breakfast included, so we made packed lunches. We couldn't find a shop nearby, but there is a bus stop right outside with buses to Estoril or Cascais about every 15 minutes. The journey costs €1.90 each way.

Estoril is nice for the beach or the train station, but there is not much there town-wise. Cascais is better for restaurants and night life, a large supermarket and more beaches. You can easily get the train from Estoril or Cascais into Lisbon which is well worth a visit. The trains follow the coast which is beautiful. We returned to the airport via train and then an aiport bus from outside the station. A much cheaper option, but it did take about 2.5 hours.

NOTE OF CAUTION: The last bus back from Cascais is at 9.15pm. If you catch it, as we did once, the last stop is the one before the hotel. This is only a 5 minute walk, but you have no choice but to walk ALONG THE HARD SHOULDER of a duel carriageway to get there! We didn't want to risk this in the dark, and ended up waiting half an hour for a taxi to drive past. I would recommend getting a taxi all the way from Cascais instead, at a cost of about €7.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable week. A great mixture of lying by the pool, making use of the hotel facilities, and very easy to go and explore if you want to. I would happily stay here again - as long as it wasn't racing season!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2007

The hotel was a bit dated like stepping back to the 70´s in need of an overhaul although it may look better in the summer. Staff were very helpful and pleasant and the location is very good and easy to get to Sintra, Cascais and Lisbon. A decent value for money location if you want it just as a base to explore the region.
Now for the downside, the hotel is next to Estoril racing track and we found at around 7.30 am every weekday the motorcyles were testing for the coming season if you like the motor racing you are fine, otherwise if you have been out the night before it is very annoying. The breakfast is very basic and if you go down after 9am there isnt a lot left. But apart from that it is ok and has more plus than minus points. We enjoyed our stay and would probably stay again just to use the place as a base.

Stayed January 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

Had a great stay during a four-day mini-holiday. I completely concur with the British couple who posted the last review. We discussed this very subject in the bar over a gin and tonic, haha. The hotel was nearly empty the whole weekend so there was never a crowd at the pool or for breakfast, which was decent but nothing special. The scrambled eggs looked a little scary, I dont recommend them.
Overall, I had a very pleasant stay and I plan on staying there for my next trip.

• Stayed May 2006
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

We have just returned from a 3 night stay in the Atlantis and although this hotel is not a 4 star, we really enjoyed our stay.

The hotel looks very dated from the front and on first impressions I would not go in and book this hotel by chance from the street. But once you get checked in the rooms are large and comfortable.

The pool area is really nice and the staff cannot help you enough. The food in the hotel is good and reasonably priced.

We hired a car to get around in and I would advise anyone going to this hotel to do the same, as it is a bit out of the way.

Do not let the bad comments by others put you off this hotel. We tried to change our accommodation after reading them and glad we didn't.

If you are expecting a 4 start Hilton type accommodation then this is not the hotel for you.

All in all we had a great time and did not want to come back to the British weather.

• Stayed March 2006
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

We spent 3 nights in this hotel.
It is a very nice and confortable hotel. The rooms are quite large, the hotel is clean, the meals are very good, the prices are not too high.
The hotel is very quiet, except during the day, because it is near the Estoril motor race park.
4 french tourists

• Stayed March 2006
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2005

Stayed at the Atlantis for 3 nights in September 2005. If you are used to newer, more modern hotels, this place is not for you. I must have been built in the 70s because NOTHING has changed. Feels like you are in a bad 70s movie (or something like boogie nights, 30 years later). The hallways smelled like ammonia. Unless you want to wait until 7:30PM to eat there, it was hard to get food. The pool bar, that was supposed to be open to 7pm, seemed to close whenever they felt like it. The Room service menu was extremely light and still didnt have everything on the menu when I called.

The hotel, which really is not a 4 star at all, is in a BAD location. On a main highway, next to a race car track. Not really in walking distance to anywhere. The staff wasnt too friendly, except for the woman who worked the front desk during the evening (who was quite attractive i might add).

Overall, if you are used to even moderate accomodations in the states, such as a Marriott or a Hilton, this is NOT your place. Even though its cheap, i would spend my money elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Atlantis Sintra Estoril? Share your experiences!