“Very comfortable and Excellent staff but .........” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grande Real Villa Italia Hotel & Spa

You added Grande Real Villa Italia Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Grande Real Villa Italia Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Frei Nicolau de Oliveira 100, Cascais 2750-319, Portugal   |
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Cascais
Buckinghamshire
“Very comfortable and Excellent staff but .........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

We chose this hotel on the basis of reports in Trip advisor and in general weren't disappointed. The Reception staff are very welcoming and helpful, i'd booked a seaview room but was upgraded to an executive seaview ( this seems to be a common experience at present) The room itself was fine with a huge bed nice bathroom and alovely terrace overlooking the pool. But it was seriously lacking in cupboard and drawer space and what there was was partly filled with bedcovers pillows etc Why do hotels do this? you'd think in a newly built hotel they would have a chest or something in which to put the over elaborate cushions and covers when the bed is turned down. Lovely pool and helpful poolside staff Breakfast included in our rate was generally good but I do expect fresh orange juice in a hotel of this class not the awful stuff made from concentrate.I have no idea about the rest of the food as after a couple of bar snacks and beers on the first day cost 61 Euros we didn't eat or drink in the hotel again. THe situation is niceish if you have a seaview although the "quiet " road in front can be a bit of a race track at times. I think this hotel sets out with the pretensions of being top notch but despite the comfortable rooms and great service doesn't quite make it because the situation isn't that great. It s a pity but I think if they lowered their bar and food prices a little then the turnover might increase> I also think that hotel guests hould be able to access the spa at reduced prices

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Westchester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

I never write reviews on hotels, but I loved this hotel and felt compelled to let others know. Firstly, it's a beautiful, clean, fully equipped property that is within walking distance of downtown Cascais. They upgraded us to a seaview room with extremely comfortable beds. The spa is high end with a complimentary thalassotherapy circuit and all the services you need. The price was also very reasonable in light of the "resort" like atmosphere of the hotel. For the breakfast buffet, champagne and bloody marys were included and the spread was magnificent. One downside is that if you go out for dinner, you would want to take a cab as it's dark. However, a cab right to most restaurants is less than 5 euros. I highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

We got a free upgrade to a seaview room and that was excellent. My wife had her birthday during our stay and the hotel staff knew it without me informing them. And a nice cake with a bottle of wine in our room. Very good, such a personal touch.

The room was very good, nice size, nice decorated. Pool area is nice, but we didn't use it, since it was to cold in March to swim. Location is beautiful and within walking distance of the train to Lisbon and the town center of Cascais.

The food was good, but expensive. That is actually the only real issue with the hotel. For example: 4 Euro for a cappucino. Apart from that I would really recommend it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

Stayed a few nights in a sea view room (#403 - 500 Euros)
Very large room, very nice view, a few stains on the carpet
Nice and large pool with heated sea water. Not enough deck chairs in the afternoon.
Close to the Marina and the old town.
Have to pay for Hammam, Sauna and inside pool.
Very nice and professional staff at the reception and at the pool.
Had to wait seated 10 minutes in the morning until a waitress stopped talking to her colleague and asked me for coffee or tea.
Free internet.
Overall very nice place.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

I had a tough time whether to give this a 4 or 5 star rating. The hotel is beautiful!!! The rooms where magnificent. Although 1 of our rooms had a white carpet and it was pretty badly stained the rooms where amazing. The concierge was extremely helpful. The entire staff was very nice. The breakfast was very good and had a large assortment. I felt the hotel was in a good location. It took us 10 minutes to walk into Cascais. We were close enough but still away form all the hustle and bustle.
The negative parts were that they needed better and more attentive pool service for drinks and maintaining the towels and the chairs. This was not quiet up to true 5 star standards. The pool was also very cold. There were not many people in the pool because of this. The food and drinks were also very expensive and not on par with the room rates.
Other than that the hotel was excellent and if we should ever return to Cascais we would love to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

My wife and I stayed for five nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary and to relax after a holiday in Mallorca with four teenagers!!!!

We wanted five star luxury and got it. We were fortunate to be upgraded to a sea view room which was magnificent. A huge six foot plus bed which although "zipped together" (as the previous reviewer termed it), was extremely comfortable. The room itself was tastefully furnished and the bathroom was spacious and luxurious with separate areas for a walk-in shower, bath and wash basins (his and hers). An adequate supply of freshly laundered towels and bathrobes was also available.

I agree with the previous reviewer that the pool was too cold and, although refreshing, was not a pleasant place to dwell unless one was feeling particularly hardy. I would have expected better of a five star hotel. The pool area was very attractive although I suspect that it might be a challenge to get beds if the hotel was full although we did not have a problem as the hotel was not full.

The overall feel of the hotel was of luxury and all the public areas were tastefully and luxuriously furnished.

I also agree with the previous reviewer's comments about the lack of choice of fruit for breakfast, although the rest of the offering was more than adequate if not quite as extensive as I have experienced in other five star hotels.

The location of the hotel is excellent and is a five minute walk from the marina where there is a good choice of restaurants for lunch and/or dinner (although the marina area is a little sterile and lacking in character). Many restaurants are available in the town centre which is a pleasant twenty minute walk away.

All of the staff that we came into contact with were friendly, efficient and courteous.

My main criticism is the cost of eating and drinking in the hotel. Whilst I fully expect to pay a premium for staying in a five star hotel, €18 for a burger and fries and €15 for a chicken ceasar salad seemed too much of a premium to pay.

Would we stay there again? Possibly yes, as it is definitely of a five star standard. Would I recommend it to friends? Yes, although I would warn them of the cost of eating and drinking in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

ACCOMODATION
My family and I have had the good fortune of staying at some of the best hotels in the world and we booked two rooms at Grande Real Villa Italia Hotel & Spa with great expectations. We arrived at the hotel on late Friday afternoon and were pleasantly greeted by name by the front office staff, a good start! The hotel has a contemporary but elegant reception area which is very pleasing to the eye. A perfect place to hang out.

Whilst the rooms were of a good size with large, clean bathrooms, I was surprised that the hotel's definition of a double room was a room which could accommodate two people and not the conventional meaning of a room having a double bed. Whilst the children were happy to have a room with separate beds, my wife and i were somewhat bemused. After much arguing and eventually a call to the manager, the beds were "zipped together". Better than nothing I guess. Having paid for sea view rooms, I did not expect to have foliage largely obstructing the view. Check this if you book there.

FOOD
Breakfast is a limited buffet without an omelette or pancake chef in the dining area. These items have to be ordered ala carte. The fruit selection was small, pastries and bread selection was more suited to a three star hotel and not a five star. The fine dining restaurant, Belvedere was lovely but did not adequately provide for vegetarians despite the fact that the executive chef was informed of our dietary requirements well in advance. We ate there once only! The pool bar and terrace restaurant have the same menu and the service, whilst generally polite is very slow. Food and drinks were pricey but this was expected.

SPA / POOL
Great treatments, great staff, tranquil atmosphere. What more praise can one give it. The indoor pool in the spa is not free to use and kids under 16 are not allowed at all. My 13 year old daughter was most disappointed.

The main pool area basically consists of a single rectangular shaped pool with loungers around it. The water temperature was freezing. Although looking at the shivering faces of revellers' first foray into the pool was good entertainment, I would have been much happier if the temperature of the water was a little warmer. The hotel boasts two pools but the other pool is just a tiny "play pool" for toddlers. Overall we enjoyed our time in the pool area but would have preferred it if there was more than one pool attendant dispensing towels. At one point we had to wait for 40 minutes to get towels. Once again this is not what I expect of a modern 5 star hotel.

AMBIENCE
The hotel is very, very quiet. The town is close by and offers a good variety of resort type activities. The music festival that was taking place during our stay in Cascais offered good entertainment and made for lively visits. Whilst the hotel does not have any beach area, there are a number of good beaches within easy driving distance.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Grande Real Villa Italia Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!