I've been here twice now and I'm just in love with this place. The location is of course incomparable. There is nothing I love more than seeing, hearing and smelling the ocean, so this couldn't be more perfect. Then there is the building itself, which looks gorgeous from the outside, but it's the inside that will blow your mind. Stunning flower arrangements, beautiful carpets, comfy furniture everywhere and an airy, light-flooded sense of calm will instantly relax you, and that's before you've even ascended that fabulous staircase to get to your room. While last year we had a suite, this year we opted for a "regular" room, but despite its rather diminutive size, I'd actually say it felt even more special. Those beautiful vaulted ceilings, the arched balcony and one of the best beds I've ever slept in...it just all feels so wonderfully cosy, comfortable and pristine. You feel like you're living in a fairytale castle, but it's not intimidating like other places of this caliber can be. And then there's that amazing breakfast...
I've been lucky to stay in some excellent hotels, but this tops them all. If I ever win the lottery, I'll move in!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Restaurant Fortaleza do Guincho was opened in 1998, as the Hotel, with the same name. French Chef Antoine Westermann, who was awarded three Michelin stars, had the responsibility for defining the philosophy of the kitchen and proposes new menus to each season, along with Vincent Farges, the Executive Chef. In 2001 the restaurant, with a strong influence of French haute cuisine, won its first Michelin star. Currently, it has strong national influences and is made on the basis of the best Portuguese products, such as fish and shellfish from the Portuguese coast. In 2007, the sommelier Inacio Loureiro joins the team and the result is five consecutive awards for the cellar of the restaurant with the award Best Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator. The wine cellar of the Fortaleza do Guincho, currently with about 850 references of the best national and international wines, is unanimously considered one of the best in Portugal. Gastronomic Adviser Antoine Westermann was born in the Alsace region of France. With 29 year old received his first Michelin star, and since then his work has been recognized with several awards and international distinctions. He is a consultant Guincho restaurant since it opened, in 1998. Constant research and great passion for innovation, led him to discover new techniques and new concepts of modern cuisine. Beyond fine dinning and a triple star, Antoine Westermann expresses his creativity in different universes: at the moment he operates the restaurant Vieil Mon Ami, an elegant bistro, located on the Ile Saint Louis (Paris), which produces an easier and more affordable cooking, and he is the owner of the mythical and sophisticated Drouant, also in Paris, where it is decided and awarded the prestigious Goncourt literary prize since 1914. Vincent Farges Executive Chef Vincent Farges Rillieux was born in La Pape, near Lyon, and is Guincho Executive Chef since 2005. After completing his education in France, Vincent worked on some of the best French restaurants until he join the Buerehiesel, team, leaded by Antoine Westermann and with who he would inaugurate Fortaleza do Guincho. But the passion for the culinary culture would lead him to look for kitchens with very diverse concepts. In Morocco, where he remained for four years, Vincent opened and was responsible for the restaurants La Bavaroise (Casablanca). In Greece, where he settled after, opened the Grand Hotel Bratangne (Athens) and was also responsible for the diverse cuisines of the luxury hotel chain. Those were remarkable experiences, whose influence is denoted on his return to Guincho (2005), where Vincent has the opportunity to explore his own ways, and freedom to interpret Antoine Westermann's philosophy. Inacio Loureiro Sommelier Inacio Loureiro met and fell in love with wines world at the Hotel de Lobos in Sintra, where he met the great sommelier Antonio Vaz. After finishing the course of sommelier in the School of Tourism, in Lisbon, Inacio joins the Penha Longa Hotel as a waiter. There, he starts to work directly with Joao Pires and ended to take over he's place, when Pires got out for another project. In 2007 Inacio joins Guincho's team and has considerably increased referrals from the cellar, which now has more than 800 of the best wines from around the world. His work has been recognized in Portugal and abroad, particularly from the prestigious Wine Spectator magazine, which distinguishes the cellar with Best Award of Excellence for five consecutive years: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. More recently, he has won the Prix du Sommelier 2011, by International Academy of Gastronomy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Splendia, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Fortaleza do Guincho reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fortaleza Do Guincho Cascais
- Fortaleza Do Guincho Hotel Cascais