“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Charm of Cascais

You added The Charm of Cascais to your Saves list
The Charm of Cascais
5.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Av. Infante Dom Henrique ,669 | corner with Av Pedro Alvares Cabral, Cascais 2750-168, Portugal   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 19 Cascais B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Stayed here for three nights and had a wonderful time. Very comfortable room and a spacious lounge with extensive library (mainly portugese). The hosts take great care to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay. The property is about 1.5km from the centre of town, a pleasant walk but you can take a taxi for €3.50. We also dined there twice and were impressed by the cooking, certainly better than some of the restaurants we ate in in town. Breakfast was also well catered.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights as we traveled the coast of Portugal. The house is stunning, and our room was huge with a gorgeous vintage bathroom. Breakfast was delightful, and the owners were so kind and helpful. They have wireless internet, TV, and a nice pool which the rooms overlook.

It's not far from the downtown/beach area. We walked a few times, but it may be a bit of a hike if you're not a big walker. The location is just a short drive from Guincho beach, Cabo da Roca (westernmost point of Europe), Sintra, and other sites. We had a rented car, which certainly made things easier.

Definitely book a few nights here if you have the time! I could have stayed even longer!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Jefferson, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

The Charm o Cascais is beautiful guest house. The owner, Susana and her husband were very attentive; they went the extra mile in service and kindness. The hotel is a short 20 minute walk to the center of Cascais which is a bustling little city. A must if you go to Portugal. I plan to return to Cascais in the summer. I have heard it is quite lovely.

Room Tip: all rooms are good. I chose the double standard and it was roomy. very quite street.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed in the Charm of Cascais for only one night (September 7th, 2011) and wish we could have stayed there longer. It is indeed a charming place with gracious owners/hosts who will do everything they can to make you feel wellcome. The room (we had a Junior Suite) was spacious, the bed very comfortable, the breakfast, that was eaten by the pool, fresh and delicious. In fact this was the best place we stayed in during our 12 days in Portugal, yet it was not the most expensive one. We highly recommend it, but it seems there is no need recommendations because checking in the internet the place is almost always full and we were fortunate to be able to stay there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hartland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Typically, when I come to Europe from the US, I stay in hotels near the city center. However, on this trip to Lisbon I decided to stay outside of the city. I found Rui and Susana's Charm of Cascais by chance and was extremely fortunate that I did find this fantastic guesthouse. Upon arrival on a Friday morning around 11 am (after an overnight flight from the US), I was greeted at the door by Susana. Although I had arrived 3 hours before check-in, Rui immediately had his staff begin preparing my room, which had just been vacated only moments before by another guest. While waiting, I relaxed in the large family room located next to the patio and very nice and well-maintained in-ground pool. Rui came in and asked if I was hungry and brought me a pastry and then came back out with a drink...and I didn't even ask! I could tell that my stay was going to be a good one. My room was spacious and very clean with a flat-screen television that had numerous channels. In fact, for visitors from the US and Canada, I found an ESPN America stations which, by chance, was showing the Detroit Tigers/Minnesota Twins game that night! I definitely felt at home; the wireless internet quality was more than satisfactory and I was able to video chat with my wife and children back home.

After a solid night's sleep on the high quality beds, I went downstairs to the dining area where Rui and his staff had breakfast ready. It consisted of juices, coffee, pastries, breads, jams, cereal, meats, cheeses, yogurts, etc. In addition, Rui's staff came out and asked if I would like some eggs, which were brought to me immediately and freshly cooked.

During the day, the rooms were re-cleaned. Rui and Susana would often ask if I wanted anything to eat or drink while I did some work on my computer in one of their sitting rooms. After a while I would often take a quick swim in the pool. In short, the amenities, courtesy, and comfort of this guesthouse are outstanding.

Getting here from Lisbon airport was also fairly easy. I recommend either taking a taxi to the Cais de Sodre train station where a 3 euro ticket takes you to the Cascais station, the last station on the line. A taxi picked me up within 60 seconds and, for another 4 euro, I was at the guesthouse. During the late afternoons, I would typically walk to the downtown area of Cascais for a bite to eat; the walk is about 15 minutes or so in mostly residential neighborhoods; many people will be out, most walking dogs or walking with another person. During the evenings and night hours, the guesthouse seemed quiet; I had the balconly doors to my room open most nights rather late without any noise coming through.

Overall, a very nice stay; I traveled alone on this trip, but Rui and Susana helped make the stay feel more at home. Would definitely stay again on any future trips to this area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Charm of Cascais? Share your experiences!