“A lovely atmosphere, great service and yummy food, inc. a veg option hard to find in Portugal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of O Bairro

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood, Vegetarian, Delicatessen, Portuguese
Good for: Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Facing the local fish market and the canal dos botirões, at the heart of Aveiro's historic center, O Bairro is the place where you'll have one of the best gastronomic experiences of your life. Starting with the "33cl de caldeirada", followed by the fish&seafood rice and finishing with our amazing dessert of "Ovo Mole à Bairro", for sure you'll want to come back on the next day to experience other deli...
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

A nice atmosphere, with local characters on the placemats, humorous tiles and statue on the walls. The food was lovely. We had all 3 mon meat dishes:a cheese plate, salad and veg stack.
The service was great and the waiters went the extra mile to find out the names of the cheeses we ate and the olive oil that was served. The bread, oil and olives served were part of the courvert charge but seemed very reasonable.
The food was beautifully presented and well thought out.
Overall a great night out

• Visited September 2013

Amsterdam
“absolutely wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Wonderful restaurante! One of the best gastronomic experiences I ever had.

This is a tiny, but very cousy restaurante, very tipical, but also modern, that translates in a great ambience.

It´s located in the bar´s and restaurant´s área, so its good if you want to go out for a drink.

The food is great, very modern, but very portuguese style - please taste the 33cls calderada (!!).

five stars, no doubt!

Frank

Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing seafood and service !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wow - just returned from eating at O Bairro this evening. Greeted and seated by friendly staff - you get the impression the waiters are totally immersed in experience and food, no hint of disinterest that sometimes accompanies good food. Started with prawns and tuna (sharing with my lovely wife of course) and then, for main course, shared an exquisite seafood risotto which could have served 3-4 - my wife and I had cycled 50k so we felt we were up to finishing this and packing in a wonderful desert. Good bottle of Portuguese white rounded off one of the best dining experiences for a while, but can't underestimate the role of friendly and welcoming service with any meal. Recommend a lot.......

• Visited July 2013
Ilhavo
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

At "O Bairro" I have experienced a great experience.... Excelent food, innovation and combined flavours. A warm atmosphere at a central, quiet and beatifull meeting point...

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A totally wonderful experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My Wife and I visited O Bairro on our first night in beautiful Aveiro. We had no expectations having not really read any of the reviews on this site but it looked nice from the outside, it was busy (with Portuguese diners) and in a beautiful location on a square by one of the canals. My Wife has just started eating fish again after more than 20 years as a vegetarian so she's experimenting at the moment but one of the restaurant staff, whom we later found out was the Manager, Ploo, took time out to come outside the restaurant, explain the menu and let my Wife know exactly what there was to eat.

When we returned 20 minutes later we had the best dining experience we had the whole time we were in Portugal (well, apart from when we returned two nights later for another wonderful night)...

Ploo was attentive, not just to our needs, but the needs of everyone eating in the restaurant that night. He was exceptionally knowledgeable and seemed to genuinely enjoy explaining not only the food but the excellent wine list. His passion for O Bairro's take on Portuguese cuisine was clear throughout our meal.

On our first night we went straight for the mains, my Wife fish and me an amazing lamb dish. We then went for desert and a wonderful 10 year old Porto. Night two we went for the whole thing, beautiful starters, mains and a delicious Portuguese cheese board with 10 and 20 year Porto s. I can't remember the names of the dishes and won't try to write them here, but everything we ate was stunning. My John Dory with risotto and tasty (I think) fish foam on night two was one of the best things I think that I've ever eaten, anywhere. And my Wife's continued foray with fish was rewarded by some absolutely amazing food.

But more than the food it was the whole experience; Ploo and the other staff were all exceptional. The location was beautiful and both our nights really encapsulated our holiday and a wonderful time in Portugal...

• Visited June 2013