“grouper (fish)!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Goes, The Netherlands
“grouper (fish)!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

delicious food. You start with the soup of aunt Tia. It is almost a obligation. Very tastful soup. Then we ate grouper. A huge fish. delicious. At 10 pm, a group of singers entered the restaurant. A fantastic atmosphere. (we were lucky, they do their singing only on invitation)

Visited August 2012

Culver City, California
“Good good - service rushed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I'd tried many good restaurants in and around Angra do Heroismo so I kind of wound up at Adega Lusitania by process of elimination. I must say that all the other restaurants at which I ate in Angra and Sao Mateus were better than this one.

I see that this restaurant has many good reviews here - and the food was acceptable but not great. But I found the service very annoying. You must be aware that in Portugal and the Azores you are offered a Couvert which is a sampling of appetizers. And it's usually at a nominal fee of about 2 euros which is fine. Be careful at this restaurant as they offer a wide variety of appetizers as a part of the Couvert, each of which is priced separately - even the butter. I'm not finding fault with this custom, just warning you as a diner.

The wine recommended by the waiter was so-so.
As I was enjoying the wine and Couvert, the soup was brought. It actually was a very good vegetable soup and arrived in a gigantic tureen. But I had little time to enjoy it before my main course arrived and the soup and Couvert were quickly removed from the table.

The restaurant was not busy at all - so I'm not sure what the rush. They'd asked me a few times if I was ready for the entree and I said "no". I was not eating slowly as I was dining alone - but after a few minutes, it didn't matter, the soup and couvert were removed and the entree was delivered. I guess this is my big beef with the restaurant.

Guess that's enough about that experience.

The restaurant itself is attractive and the fish entree was OK but not great. Like I said, exhaust other alternatives in Angra and in the nearby suburb of Sao Mateus before trying this one.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Southeast USA
“Adega Lusitania”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I go to Restaurant Adega Lusitania at least 4-5 times, during every trip I make to Terceira (usually once/year)!! It is, without a doubt, the BEST restaurant I've ever been to....fresh fish & shellfish, fresh steak, Alcatra, and fresh fruits (especially the pineapple)! I love this restaurant and I wish we had one in my town....except, that I would probably go everyday and end up fat! The food, service, and environment are EXCELLENT!!

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Angra do Heroismo, Portugal
“Adega Lusitania-an Azorean experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

I've visited this restaurant several times and the food is always good.
The atmosphere is traditional Azorean, from the old fashioned weaved tableclothes to old fashioned ornamental oil lamps. It is a pleasant atmosphere with professional service.
Their traditional vegetable soup is delicious as are their Filets de Abrotea. Essentially all their plates are very good!
During the summer months it is always best to reserve for dinner as it can get very busy.

Visited January 2012
United Kingdom
“Did not like the local beef stew”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

Recommended to this restaurant t for the standard of the local delicacy a sort of beef stew with herbs etc and I found it not to be to my taste - stringy and not a lot of flavour. I can make a better stew than that.

We diened in the smoking part of the restauarnt which was not a problem as there was onlyn one smoker.

My wife had the fish which was delicious and the service was excellent with a good atmosphere from music coming form the main restaurant where there was large party.

We chose a local wine which was like a very young Beaujolais which even though served cold really took some drinking especially as I had ordered a litre carafe. My mistake.

Good evening but preferred the Beira-Mar Hotel restaurant - better food, atmosphere and service.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere