“Made change for the better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marina Atlantico

You added Hotel Marina Atlantico to your Saves list
Hotel Marina Atlantico
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Joao Bosco Mota Amaral, 1, Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel 9500-767, Portugal   |
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Ponta Delgada
Somerset, MA
“Made change for the better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had originally made reservations at Aparthotel Barracuda in Sao Roque. We wanted to stay on the beach. However, that hotel is a bit run down. I hope to review it soon.

While walking through Ponta del Gada, we stopped at Hotel Marine Atlantico and inquired about room availability. We originally went to their partner hotel next door, which was short one night for our stay. They in turn contacted Marine Atlantico, and they did have availability. We we also provided a 10% discount.

We told our first hotel that we would stay that one night and be checking out in the morning. We just paid one night, with no penalty.

The Marine Atlantico is a beautiful, modern hotel, and we had a view of the harbor and all the action that goes on there. We asked that they move the two double beds together, which they did. Bed comfort was ok, but I wish that the pillows were thicker.

Plenty of towels, shampoo, soap, etc. in the spacious bathroom.

I have only 2 minor criticisms. 1)There was no coffee in the room, but I could get it downstairs after 7:30 when they opened for breakfast. I like have coffee well before my morning run, so this complicated my routine a bit. I adjusted and survived!

2) There was no ice available in the rooms, the floors, or downstairs. I was told that there were gas stations that sold ice. Really? And where I keep all the extra ice? I use the ice to ice down achy knees and Achilles. I was able to get Ice from either the bar or the dining room by asking the person in charge. So once again, I adjusted and survived!

To be fair, many hotels in Europe and the states no longer have coffee in the room. European hotels, if I remember correctly, don't have ice readily available either.

We spent parts of many afternoons and evening on on our porch(?), though it was very cool at night.

The staff was very helpful, especially with directions. We had a car, and their was a very small fee for parking in their garage.

Breakfast was plentiful, with a wide variety to please any palette. Orange had little flavor, but I added pineapple juice. Azorian pineapples are great!

Great hotel, and I would stay again.

B. Vieira

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view of the sea, and with a porch.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This hotel is wonderful! It is located right on the water across from the Marina, very easy to find and walk to restaurants and other activities. The front desk staff is incredibly helpful and never grew tired of our ceaseless questions for restaurant and sightseeing recommends nor directions to said restaurants, etc.

The hotel bar has free wifi and makes both a decent Manhattan and espresso. The breakfast is quite nice too. Plenty to choose from and a beautiful room with great morning light by which to eat.

We highly recommend this hotel should you ever find yourself in the Azores. Which you should do at some point!

Room Tip: Our room faced the Marina which has a popular (somewhat noisy) swimming pool during the day so if yo...
Ayrshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Nice hotel with great sea views in lovely location. Staff very friendly and helpful, best views from 5th & 6th floor. Buffet style breakfast and dinner, although we stayed B&B but had dinner from a la carte menu on 2 occasions. I feel for the size of the hotel the restaurant is too small, it's very busy and very noisy, with people descending like vultures from very angle. The only reason it manages so many guests at the same time is the many staff clearing tables and replenishing buffet, bit too chaotic for a peaceful morning breakfast for me.
I didn't find the bed comfortable, springs felt through mattress, seemed old! but all amenities there and house keeping very good, room clean. The only criticism is there seemed to be nowhere to sit in the sun, although there is a public pool across the road, it is ideal for families as mainly children.

Room Tip: For best views ask for a room on 5th or 6th floor
Methuen, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

One week stay, on the 6th floor tower, bay view room with a small balcony for two.

General Hotel - Overall staff was helpful and I(We) never felt like we were bothering anybody if we did indeed have questions or needed anything.

Lobby - Clean, well lit, free wifi, Free Ice Tea on the back left side of the main desk.
It did get a bit crowded when large tour busses full of people arrived or departed, they all queued up in the lobby.

Pool - Small swimming pool divided up into a few swimming lanes and then a larger common/group area for water fitness/fun.
Jacuzzi was good but small, 6 people in it and it was crowded
Sauna, mens rooms are all clean and in good condition
I was disappointed there was no music being piped in, although there where many white speakers hanging on the wall.

Room - We opted for two single beds, room was a bit small. Was more towards the size I commonly see in EU. The mattress was a joke, you could literally see and feel the coil springs, we traveled with two other couples and every mattress was the same way. This must be corrected ASAP. Bathroom was tight for two people but clean. Shaver plug on the hair dryer didn't work even though I informed the front desk 2 times and provide a picture of what I was talking about.

Breakfast - Was good the first day or two but then it just became the same thing every morning. minimal fresh fruit, most of it was in a sweetened syrup. Bacon wasn't cooked. could have been WAY better

Dinner - Restaurant (same for breakfast) was bright and very clean. One evening we were tired and elected to stay in and eat in the hotel, I had the 3 Pepper Pork Medallions (outstanding!!) wine was excellent and appetizers where all very good. What I didn't like is one you ordered you meal, they came along and adjusted the silverware to match the meal you ordered. I didn't like that, just leave everything and I'll decide what I'll use. NOT YOU. I told them to back off, don't touch. We'll I got what I asked for, they didn't even swap out my used plates ;-)

Lounge, Bar and outside seating - Very clean, ample and plentiful. Most people didn't realize there was additional space right above you. Outside seating was the best, early evening drinks while chatting about the days events was just perfect. Bar was clean, well stocked, staff was a bit slow and at one point I had to call the front desk as there was nobody there.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower 4th - 6th floor on the bay side. it is a bit noisy but if you are a heavy sleeper...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
pascoag,ri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We just returned from a week in Sao Miguel. We wanted a hotel in Ponta Delgada that was within walking distance of the center. The Hotel Marina Atlantico was a good choice for us. Very convenient location. Wonderful view of the marina. Good breakfast included(not great). Very clean. Friendly staff. Very good restaurant food. Would certainly recommend!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Porto, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Loved it !!!
Great breakfast including champagne ...
Amazing ocean view, great central location!
We loved the Hotel and the facilities including free parking garage
For me the best HOtel in Ponta Delgada

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth it ...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Trondheim, Sor-Trondelag, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here one week in July. Double room on top floor
Great view, great location, frendly staff, good food, clean.
Many good resturants on the marina, right outside the hotel.
The city has a nice chill atmosphere to it. You don't get the feeling of an tourist place.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor. Recon it is a bit noisy on the lower floors. The main road goes outside the hotel...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Marina Atlantico? Share your experiences!