We had originally made reservations at Aparthotel Barracuda in Sao Roque. We wanted to stay on the beach. However, that hotel is a bit run down. I hope to review it soon.
While walking through Ponta del Gada, we stopped at Hotel Marine Atlantico and inquired about room availability. We originally went to their partner hotel next door, which was short one night for our stay. They in turn contacted Marine Atlantico, and they did have availability. We we also provided a 10% discount.
We told our first hotel that we would stay that one night and be checking out in the morning. We just paid one night, with no penalty.
The Marine Atlantico is a beautiful, modern hotel, and we had a view of the harbor and all the action that goes on there. We asked that they move the two double beds together, which they did. Bed comfort was ok, but I wish that the pillows were thicker.
Plenty of towels, shampoo, soap, etc. in the spacious bathroom.
I have only 2 minor criticisms. 1)There was no coffee in the room, but I could get it downstairs after 7:30 when they opened for breakfast. I like have coffee well before my morning run, so this complicated my routine a bit. I adjusted and survived!
2) There was no ice available in the rooms, the floors, or downstairs. I was told that there were gas stations that sold ice. Really? And where I keep all the extra ice? I use the ice to ice down achy knees and Achilles. I was able to get Ice from either the bar or the dining room by asking the person in charge. So once again, I adjusted and survived!
To be fair, many hotels in Europe and the states no longer have coffee in the room. European hotels, if I remember correctly, don't have ice readily available either.
We spent parts of many afternoons and evening on on our porch(?), though it was very cool at night.
The staff was very helpful, especially with directions. We had a car, and their was a very small fee for parking in their garage.
Breakfast was plentiful, with a wide variety to please any palette. Orange had little flavor, but I added pineapple juice. Azorian pineapples are great!
Great hotel, and I would stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Across the marina and the Port of Cruises, in the center of Ponta Delgada in S. Miguel Island, Hotel Marina Atlântico offers a superb view of the ocean in the horizon colored by boat masts and flags. Hotel Marina Atlântico embodies a ship, with high masts, resting on the shore. As the best hotel in town, its decor is luminous and modern, inspired by nautical motifs and inviting you to have a serene and unique experience. You can leisurely benefit from a first class Health Club and savor its well-known and distinct cuisine full of local Azorean products. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Marina Atlantico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marina Atlantico Hotel
- Marina Atlantico Ponta Delgada
- Hotel Marina Atlantico Ponta Delgada, Azores - Sao Miguel