“best thing in sao miguel” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 31 Activities in Ponta Delgada
More attraction details
Owner description: Gary Travassos Azores Taxi & Van Tours. Personalized Taxi & Van Tours to see the most beautiful places on Sao Miguel, Azores. Trips to golf courses or to walking trails and return, Airport transfers to hotels on the island. Regular pick-up services too. With 1000 photos, videos and interesting information about the Azores.You won´t regret it!!!
Summerhill, Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
“best thing in sao miguel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

Gary was just fantastic! He's smart, personable, people oriented, and a good guide.If you want to tour the island, you have to tour it with Gary. One day he even managed to take us to a small village where they were celebrating the festivals of their saint.. We got to see a private home decorated, talk to the villagers, got invited to their festival building, and were given samples of their food and drink. It was the best part of the entire trip! In comparison, a day we could not get Gary we went with another driver. Rip off! We felt he deliberately went slowly so he could charge more of an hourly rate (trucks were even passing us!) His skills at showing the best spots and narrations could not compare with Gary. Do yourself a favor and book Gary before you get to the island. Everyone wants his tours!!!!

GaryAzores, Owner at Azorean Tours, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you very much for your review and ethuastic words!

Even though it has been a long time, I did not forget to respond to your review!

I rember very well that day we visited my family´s birth vilage and there was the yearly Festivitie going on there. I stopped in front of the house and was explaining the festivitie, when several of the people reconized me, and invited all us to there house to see, eat and taste local traditional things done in that village and during the festivitie. For me it was good to remeber my childhood, when I lived in that village and passed threw thiose things.
Thank you too to be willing to spend some time to see that and permit me to talk with the people there!

I wish to see you here again one day to show you some secret places you didn´t see this time!

• Polish first
San Diego, CA
4 attraction reviews
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

My wife and I had 2 days in Sao Miguel and wanted to see as much of the island as we could. We hired Gary and were very happy we did. Gary speaks excellent English and is very knowledgeable about all aspects of the island. He customized a tour for us that took into account our interests, available time and most important the weather. Since fog can roll in at anytime, it is important to plan your spots to maximize your chance of getting the best views. We arranged everything over e mail and all worked out just as planned. If you are going to Sao Miguel, you need to spend at least one day with Gary.

GaryAzores, Owner at Azorean Tours, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you very much for your review!

Looking at the clouds and planning the Tour is a good way to please the clients, but it is good that the weather is not a consistente thing, becuase you never know what to expect. It is true that it makes it more challeging, but on the other side thats what makes the Azores so intersting and charming!
That is why the weather in the Azores is a box of suprises!

I wish to see you here again one day to show you some secret places that you didn´t see this time!

FInland
“Flexible, knowledgeable and great tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Gary takes you to places that no bus tours can. He shows you the great nature and the traditional way that people live by in the Azores. Actually he can show you whatever you want! The most surprising part was his vast knowledge of vulcanology, botanics, history and everything interesting about the islands. This guy has clearly done his homework! It was also very important, that everything was done in an unpressurised athosphere and that he really listened to the customer and was able to make great suggestions about what to see next accordingly. When I compare Gary's service to travel agencies' bus tours, Gary's service is overwhelmingly better. It's just you, your own friends, Gary and Gary's undivided attention. I sincerely recommend.

GaryAzores, Owner at Azorean Tours, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you very much for your review and kind words!

It is true that when you can do a Private Tour or even a small group Tour, you will get a more personalized service. It should be more flexible and less stressful.
Again thank you for the expresive review!
It was too a pleasure to a Tour with you and the others!

The next time you come over here, and do a Tour with me, your husband will have more space to strecth is legs now!

Take care!

Southeastern MA
“If you're looking for a great guide for a great place...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

After lots of research, my wife and I booked Gary for 2 full days as well as the airport transfers to and from our hotel. Gary was always on time, courteous, flexible, a knowledgeable tour guide and a great driver. A private taxi is the only relaxing way to travel around this mountainous island with its narrow but good roads. It's hard enough to walk the narrow city streets let alone drive them. Gary knows how to plan routes to miss the tour buses, bypass the main roads, and knows where to find the unusual overlooks with that special little extra. If you want to get the most enjoyment of touring this beautiful island with no worries or hassles, you can't do better than booking with Gary. When, not if, we go back, our first order of business will be to contact Gary.
For a preview of the treats you're going to see, check out his website. Gary, if you read this, "the big guy" and his wife thank you very much for making our vacation a really great time.

GaryAzores, Owner at Azorean Tours, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you very much for your review and kind words!

The 2 days I was with you and your husband, were very interesting and fun!
It is always good to hear that the clients have fun, learn, and apreciate of a guided Tour, and recomend it to others.
This is a good way to make new friends!

Take care!

New York
“Great Tour - Great Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

We connected with Gary by email after we booked a cruise that stopped in Sao Miguel. He spent th ewhole day showing us around; he was very conscious of the weather and what that would mean for visibility at the highest points of the island. We got a good sense of the history, geography and lifestyle of the island in a six hour drive!

GaryAzores, Owner at Azorean Tours, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you very much for your review!

Being passengers from a cruise ship it is more limited in the time you stay here, so the right decision or call is importante for a good Tour day. That is what I usually do, many times I am lucky, a few times the weather does not help, but there is always alternatives to forfill some hours of stay here if the weather does not cooperate.
Being on a cruise, you will not see all what a destination has to offer, but a way see something.
That is a good reason to come again, but staying days or weeks here, taking the things easy, and see more of what the Azores has to offer for everyone, and many other things to do here!