“More than just a taxi tour” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Gary Travassos Azores Taxi & Van Tours. Personalized Taxi & Van Tours to see the most beautiful places on Sao Miguel, Azores. Trips to golf courses or to walking trails and return, Airport transfers to hotels on the island. Regular pick-up services too. With 1000 photos, videos and interesting information about the Azores.You won´t regret it!!!
Calgary
3 attraction reviews
“More than just a taxi tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

After spending a couple of weeks on the Portugal mainland we made a stop on the island of Sao Miguel for 5 days. We were 2 couples looking for a guide for 3 days to show us all the natural beauty that Sao Miguel has to offer. We contacted Gary and after some helpful input from him we decided to go with tours 3, 5 and 10 which would allow us to see most parts of the island. Gary was contacted by another Canadian who was traveling alone and he asked if she could join our group. We had no problem with it and we made a new friend thanks to Gary.

When we met Gary at the airport he helped us with an issue we had with the car rental we were going to have for days 4 and 5 which was much appreciated.

Being on the island in mid October the weather is always something that can be a challenge. We have to say that Gary has a very good grasp of the weather patterns in Sao Miguel. He modified the itinerary to allow us the best opportunity to see the sites depending on the time of day and the wind direction. Weather changes very quickly on the island and having a local knowing this was a big benefit and greatly improved the chances of us enjoying a fairly dry vacation.

Gary is very attentive to the wants and needs of his clients and endeavors to tailor the trips to suit the clients’ interests. We never felt rushed or felt that we missed any part of the island. He was able to judge the quantity of information we wanted at each site and didn’t bore us with endless facts although he was always willing and able to answer any questions we may have had. He is very passionate about his home and wants to share every corner and secret it holds.

By the end of the trip we felt like we had found not only a great tour guide but a great ambassador for the island and a new friend. We wouldn’t hesitate in recommending Gary to anyone visiting the island.

Visited October 2013
GaryAzores, Owner at Azorean Tours, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for your very elaborated review!
It was a pleasure to be with you and the others. I got to learn new things with all of you and the company was very much apreciated!
I want to thank you in the name of the Canadian person, that was posible to join us in the Tours we had. This could of helped more, that everyone would apreciate my work and the island beauties.
Every litle detail is importante so that everyone has a good or great vacation here, so for me to help you, was no problem, it was a litle new thing that I learned for future problems that can happin similiar to others that come over here.
About the weather posibilities. Living here a long time, helps me understand the weather better, but I can not guess every single day/time, and we are not lucky everytime. Another good thing is that we had 3 days of Touring, so normaly what I do is choose the best day for the more difucult part of the Island to see, and the days that are so and so, to see show the things that are easier to see here.
More days Toruing with me, more flexibity in weather conditions, and more things people see here!
When you like what you do in life, and are proud to live in that place, it is easy to do it everyday!
The rest comes slowly!
I hope to see you and the others one day again, who knows in another time of the year, and that I can show you other things that you didn´t see this time or do other activities here!

From your Azorean Friend Gary Travassos

• Polish first
Eagle River, Alaska
“What a great two day adventure with Gary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I took tours 1 & 2 with Gary on October 4 & 5 and all I have to say is WOW. Gary really knows the island well and is a great guide. He showed me some unique places that the main tour buses to not go. It was a great 2 days spend on the island of Sao Miguel. If I or anyone I know ever goes to the island, I will highly recommend that you hire Gary to show you around, you will not be disappointed at all. Thanks Gary for a great visit. Hope all is well

Eric

Visited October 2013
GaryAzores, Manager at Azorean Tours, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Hi Eric!

I too had 2 great days with you!
We had a lot of time to talk and spend on the places during the stops we made.
Being the only one that day gave us th eposibility to be very personlized and stop a few places that I do not usualy stop, becaus of the lack of time!
I got to learn about where you live, and that is not close from the Azores.
Being a nature lover, who knows if I make a visit, one day!
Now, I will have time to respond to every review people have sent to me.
This is my home work for this Winter!
Bye! I wish you a nice Life and hope to see you and your wife the next time, one day again here or where you live!
Take care, your Winter will be long and cold in Alaska!

From your new Azorean Friend Gary Travassos
Toronto, Canada
“Tour of the eastern part of the island.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

So glad we found Gary on Tripadvisor! My husband and I, together with our adult son took this tour with Carlos as our driver and guide. We had a truly wonderful day! Carlos is so knowledgeable, enthusiastic, a skilled driver in a large comfortable car and fun to be with. All our questions answered. By taking an all day tour we experienced both morning and evening light which is so good for photography. Although we had a rental car we really needed a long tour such as this to learn all about the beautiful island. Perhaps we will meet Gary next time!
The Radcliffes.

Good day!

It is always good to hear about that, this way I know that when I can not do the Tour, that I have the right person to substitute me, and Carlos can do that very well!

Hope to see you agian in the Azores, probaly the next time I can be available for you and meet each another a talk of our experiences.
Bye! I wish you a nice Life!

From your new Azorean Firends Gary Travassos & Carlos Simões
“Tailored”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We came to Sao Miguel on a not so good weekend (weather) however, Gary tailored our vacation to the weather and it was awesome! We saw so many sites and were treated like royalty! The money is worth the treatment you receive and the hidden treasures you find with Gary that you would never find in a rental car. Thank you Gary for showing us what your island has to offer. Cant wait to do it again in the summer!

GaryAzores, Owner at Azorean Tours, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for the kind words!

Every client should be treated the same way, with sympathy, a open heart and a willing to show what the Island has to offer!
Great that you liked my Tours and the Island hidden tresures. There is more, but that will be for another time you come back here! Probaly in Summer when you can see more flowers and do other things beside touring, for exemple, swimming in the ocean or even visiting the islet of Vila Franca do Campo.
I will await your next visit to the Azores!

From your Azorean buddy Gary Travassos
PORTSMOUTH,RI
“BEST TOUR GUIDES WE HAVE EVER HAD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My sister Mary Mello Chace booked our trip to the Azores for 1 week and booked us with Gary & Carlos"AZOREAN TOURS" as our tour guide.We had such a wonderful time with both of them.I felt like I was with a close member of my family.They go out of their way to show us everything there is to see,plus any thing that we wanted to do they would do.They both made our trip 100 times better then if we went on our own. I can't wait to go back and visit again,with Gary & Carlos.
GOD BLESS YOU
BARBARA VIVIEROS

HI Babara!

Thank you very much for the kind words you wrote about Me & Carlos Tour!
We had a lot to talk during the Tour. That is what I like!
It makes the Tour more challenging, interesteting, less stressfull, and you do not see the time passing!
Every review is a reward for Me, Carlos and my Father. It makes us proud in were we live and apreciate to show to every body that uses our services.

I will tell Carlos about this review if he has not seen it already.

Probaly next time I can show soem hiiden gews on this Island that you still haven´t seen, Will see!

Bye! I wish you a nice day and long life, so that you come again!

From your 2 Azorean Friends Gary Travassos & Carlos Simões