“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pousada da Horta, Forte de Sta. Cruz

You added Pousada da Horta, Forte de Sta. Cruz to your Saves list
Pousada da Horta, Forte de Sta. Cruz
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Vasco da Gama, Horta, Faial Island 9900-017, Portugal   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Horta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

A great place to stay. The staff went above and beyond to make sure my stay was the absolute best it could have been. The rooms were very spacious and couldn't have been any cleaner. This was an absolute fantastic experience and if I ever return to Pousada da Horta I will definitely stay at this property again.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the marina. It's fun to see all the boats come and go.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Manager_StCruz, Gerente geral at Pousada da Horta, Forte de Sta. Cruz, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Mr. Corbin G,

We truly appreciate your comments on our Pousada. It is with great effort that our team works in order to suite your needs and make make your stay with us memorable.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,

Ricardo Gomes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I didn't stay here but made reservations for dinner one night after noting the unique location in old fortress. Our group sat outside near the pool enclosed within the fortress walls with a great view of neighbouring Pico. Limpets was on the menu and I was really looking forward to trying them but they turned out extremely garlicky and serving size was very small. Our other menu selections were adeuqate but still relatively pricey. Restaurant service was very slow and indifferent, compared to other restaurants in town and in Sao Miguel, Sao Jorge, Pico and Terceira. Prices were on the expensive side considering food quality and portion sizes. Overall experience: a nice place with a view to have drinks but find somewhere else to eat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Manager_StCruz, Gerente geral at Pousada da Horta, Forte de Sta. Cruz, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your suggestions, as it helps us to better our services.
We are truly sorry to have failed in meeting your expectations. We will take the necessary steps to improve the quality of the services.
We hope to be able to welcome you again in a near future.

Best Regards,

Ricardo Gomes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

An excellent hotel with friendly and efficient staff. Location is ideal and sea views stunning. Would definitely recommend to any visitor to the island. Close to the marina and local shops and restaurants

• Stayed September 2012
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Pousada was very centrally located with a great view from our room of Pico on Sao Jorge. The rooms was spacious and we were upgraded to a water view room at no extra cost with an amazing terrace to sit and enjoy the gorgeous weather. The staff were professional and friendly and willing in every way to accommodate our requests for information and local restaurant recommendations. Overall an excellent experience. No problem recommending this property to my clients!

Room Tip: Book the Water view room in High Season, you will love the view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Nice place to stay for a few days to get adjusted to the peaceful life of the Azores. We enjoyed a lovely view of boats, volcano, swimming pool. We even saw the whale boats ( replicas of the Azorean whale boats) being towed by the spotter boat to the next town over. Room was nice and clean, nice porch to sit and read. However, there needs improvement on the food. My fish had no flavor and I was surprised by that as I was in Azorean country and thought it would be excellent. Very helpful staff we even went to a wonderful concert at the local library..

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade from a standard so you can get a good view of Pico
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

This pousada is built is a 16-th century fort and has terrific views of the harbour and Pico island. Rooms with a view have, well, that view, and it is their biggest asset (they are nicely furnished, but small). Service is inconsistent - some receptionists are very helpful, others less. The restaurant seems always full, inexplicably, as it is overpriced and very, very, VERY bad.

• Stayed August 2012
Culver City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have so much to say about the Pousada da Horta. First - I made a terrible mistake when booking my reservations online with this Pousada. I mistakenly booked the reservation 3 days in advance of my planned arrival. So, as is the policy of the hotel, they charged my credit card as a "no show". When I arrived (I took the ferry boat from Pico - and it was a short, easy walk from the dock to the hotel) the hotel did not have my reservation. Upon checking, we both realized I had made a mistake and they had been wondering what happened to me. This was further complicated by the fact that they had no regular rooms - only suites available. Well, the short story is, they credited my no-show against my 3 night stay - and I paid about 30 Euros a night more for a suite with a beautiful view.

The rooms, lobby, dining room and bar are all well maintained.

The staff is incredibly helpful. For example - I went hiking around the caldeira in the hills above Horta and returned with very muddy hiking shoes. Two maids cleaning rooms on my floor provided me with extra, older towels to clean my shoes. I must admit, this caused a bit of a mess in my room which was cheerfully cleaned up by them. The front desk staff provide the concierge service and will make restaurant reservations and recommendations.

About the hotel restaurant: dinner service is incredibly slow. The food is very good - but be prepared to wait. At first, I thought this was unique to the pousada. But I found restaurant service slow on the island of Faial - compared to other islands in the Azores. The buffet breakfast is better than most with a very wide selection of breakfast foods - including eggs and sausages.

Laundry service is fast and efficient.

Internet service is charged to your room and seemed a bit pricey.

There is free parking for your rental car in a lot adjacent to the hotel and the wharf.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the harbor. You will have incredible views of the boats, the bay and of Pico...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Pousada da Horta, Forte de Sta. Cruz? Share your experiences!