“Best holiday for years” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sagres
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
“Best holiday for years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our best holiday for years.The hotel is set in a beautiful position with amazing views during our yoga sessions.This is a well balanced week combining action packed surfing, nature walks and relaxing yoga.The team looking after us couldn't have tried harder to give us a great time.Even I managed to get my 61 body up on a surf board many times! good value too.Will definitely book again and looking forward to seeing Marta Michael and Nicolau once more

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Lovely calm and relaxing break at the Memmo Balleira.
Booked through Mr and Mrs Smith and did not disappoint

Exhausted and ready for a holiday, this was a perfect break for my husband and I. We felt relaxed and well looked after.

Hotel is tasteful, well designed, but not pretentious.

Views of the coastline and harbour are stunning- really took my breath away.
Quite windy throughout the day- so even when sunny, never feels too hot, which was refreshing!

Food in the hotel is amongst the best Had in Sagres- lovely mango salad at lunchtimes!

As it was my birthday during the stay, hotel staff had arranged a lovely birthday note, sparkling wine and cake to be left in our room- an extra treat!

Overall not a lot to do in Sagres itself, the restaurants are all of a similar standard- nothing to write home about. A very relaxed and casual/surfy atmosphere- not too much dressing up for dinner!

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The hotel was lovely, but there were a few things that make me not want to go back. The food in the hotel was average. The staff were very nice but their English is poor and I think that even though the hotel is in Portugal their understanding of the English language should be better. I asked for the club sandwich without Egg as I am highly allergic to it and they first gave it to me with Egg and then took it out and gave me back the same sandwich without the egg in it even though I had told them I was allergic and the bread was covered in the egg....I very much doubt they would have liked to be responsible for my death!! After 30 mins I finally got my sandwich although in the process I watched the couple opposite me get chicken instead of prawns - silly mistakes really that the staff should not be making. Also I asked for a double bed and we got twin beds, so I asked for the beds to be made up like a double bed which never happened either. Also there are LOADS of young families there which was a pain. While my boyfriend and I were in the indoor pool relaxing a child came splashing up to us and tried to have play time - we were not amused. Also there are no where near enough sun loungers for everyone in the hotel - not even half. On another note Sagres has its own climate - in other words regardless of the time of year it is windy and I mean really windy! Also there is not a lot else going on in that area. Another point would be that the light bulbs were out in the bathroom when we first arrived - in a 4 star hotel you would expect this sort of thing to be checked before the new residents arrive. However having said that they fixed it straight away. It was nice but as I said I wouldn't go back and I expect more from a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We recently returned from a somewhat so-so stay in Sagres at the Memmo. The hotel itself is very nicely situated with potentially beautiful views of the sea, the staff is professional and helpful and the rooms clean and comfortable. That said, nowhere did we read that the weather in Sagres could be completely fogged in and chilly in July (read, 15 / 60 degrees). Obviously, this put a damper on the beach vacation we had expected and perhaps our review of the hotel. What was the oddest to us were the food options at the hotel. The breakfast buffet was like going through airport security -- loud, crowded and pushy. If you could manage your way to the buffet itself, the coffee was barely drinkable which, for a European hotel, is a bit disappointing. And in the evening, there is no option at the hotel for a casual bar type dinner until 10 pm (only expensive, cavernous, sterile hotel restaurant with only marginal food) and we were told that we probably wouldn't want bar food anyway as the food is prepared in a microwave.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We travelled to Sagres to escape the hustle and bustle of the Algarve, and was a nice escape. We choose this hotel as was a good price and looked the place to be. The staff were very friendly and smiled all the time, the room was clean and simple and cool. We were lucky as had a room near the lounge/bar area of the hotel so we could get WiFi in our room. So just a warning, you can only get WiFi in the common areas of the hotel. I suppose they want guests to socialise and not stay locked away on their iPad, nice idea but you do get a lot of kids sat around with headphones watching movies on their tablets (I suppose better then making noise!). Location was perfect as had a view of the sea, and I would strongly suggest getting a sea view room, as a view of the car park would be a big shame. Breakfast was good, lots of choice - no issues, and was always greeted with a smile. We had dinner one night and was pleasantly surprised. We had the daily special meal which was 16 euros each for set main, choice of desert and a glass of house wine. This was a bargain, and was exceptionally good. We also had a massage in the spa area and again was very happy with the treatment. The only negative was the pool area, as they could do with a few more sun lounges and the space looks a little out of place to the designer features of the hotel. But in all fairness with some great beaches only 5-10 mins walk away, why would you want to be next to the pool. The best beach we found was Martinhal Beach (small track down the side of the hotel leads directly to it). Overall I would stay again and liked the laid back surf feel, injected with designer looks and appeal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel is a bit more expensive than other places in Sagres, but it is worth it. The design and the atmosphere are great. The service is awesome and staff was very friendly! All rooms have ocean views but try to ask for a full- sea view. Buffet breakfast could be a bit better. The pool is great, there are deck chairs and Fat Boys. The spa is small, but very nice.

Room Tip: get full sea view. use the spa.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My whole experience of Pure Flow Motions is worthy of the highest praise possible. The people who run it, Martha, Nicolau and Michael are exceptionally nice people who really cared about everyone in the group and did everything they could to ensure we all got the most out of every moment. I can't thank them enough for what was certainly one of the best weeks of my life. I'd return to PFM in a heartbeat!

Waking up every morning to the glorious sunshine, starting the day with a delightful yoga session and the incredible selection of food at breakfast was a great start to the day and brilliant, and that was all before 9.30am!!!

The balance of activities was optimum and would suit a lot of people (younger, older, less active etc). My ONLY criticism is that as there is so much packed into the week, albeit at a leisurely pace and not so that one is constantly on the go, there is very little time to explore the nearby area, so my advise to anyone who is travelling from far afield is to stay a day or two extra and rent a car so you can explore the area - if that is the type of thing which interests you. However, I went to Sagres with the sole intention of relaxing, doing yoga and learning to surf, so it suited me entirely.

The food on the trip was divine, I was so glad to see that it would be a vegetarian, alcohol-free week, as this is my lifstlye choice anyway. The carnivores of the group didn't mind the lack of meat as the food was so tasty and satisfying.

I have never felt so rested on a holiday and this trip was exactly what I needed. If anyone is considering a yoga retreat I would highly recommend this one on the basis that along with the 3 hours of yoga a day there is so much more you get for your money, and it certainly is great value for money. The hotel is fnatastic - yes the photos you see on the website are real!! Comments amongst the group I was in were along the lines of "never has a holiday delivered everything it promised, and more". The only bad thing about it is that it's over... until next time

Room Tip: We has a sea-view suite from which you can watch the sunrise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Memmo Baleeira Hotel? Share your experiences!