“My new favourite place” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sitio da Baleeira, Sagres 8650-357, Portugal   |
Ranked #3 of 9 hotels in Sagres
“My new favourite place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was in Tavira at relatives and fancied a trip out to the west of the algarve. Fancied trying surfing but not the best time of year in February. Saw a surf school linked to this hotel.Jumped in the hire car and headed towards Sagres. Booked it on the way at only 49 Euro's a night for 4 nights. It was just perfect for me. The hotel, Sagres, cliffs, quiet, thoughtful touches, amazing views, chilled, polite, great service, surfing. I was welling up it was just so nice! Definitely going back with the kids and maybe again just myself or with friends. My friends now are planning to get married there after my pics and report. Fab. See you soon. x

Room Tip: I was in 301 which was a free upgrade to a standard sea view room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

794 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The owner/managers, Michael, Marta and Nicolau are entirely committed to you getting so much out of the week. Learning to surf, learning about yoga and meditation and learning about the local environment, all while enjoying fine vegetarian fare at the Hotel Baleeira as well as delicious picnic lunches on beautiful beaches every day. The week is full of activity and you finish each day satisfied, relaxed and looking forward to the next. Highly recommended for anyone looking to totally chill out while learning a new skill at the same time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Everything was perfect in This retreat.

Perfect hotel On a lovely location where I woke up by the gentle beams of an amazing sunrise!

My new pure flow motions friends changed my life. I didnt have any yoga or meditation experience at all but the team did an excellent job by introducing it to me on a friendly but highly professional way. Now I can say that I'm hooked to meditation and yoga.

Surfing.. Wow! Surfing in Sagres is wonderfull experience. It's a nice village With a lot of beautifull beaches where I really enjoyed the surfing lessons. IT only took me 3 times to control the surfboard. Great instructions in combination With the yoga and meditation have made me fall in love With the surf lifestyle !!!

• Stayed March 2013
kent, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

booked 3 night stay at the hotel via voyage prive. had also been recommended by a friend, and was impressed by ta reviews.
absolutely loved it - from the moment we arrived we relaxed into the place and felt at home.
its beautifully designed, but feels comfortable and warm, despite the white and minimal decor.
rooms were serene, bathrooms functional. coffee shop was fav. place because of stunning views, but breakfast room/restaurant also nice.
spent some time emailing etc in entertainment room, so used most public areas, and all are
well equipped with plugs and served by wifi.
the bed was too soft, even with the board that reception kindly organised, but thats a personal thing.
towels were large and relatively new, we had fresh ones each day. toiletries in bathroom were not replenished on a daily basis, but were adequate.
restaurant food was delicious (dinner), we had the chef's menu which was good value. breakfasts were very good and there was a wide choice available.
coffee shop also did drinks and tasty snacks.
there is a lovely boutique.
we borrowed hotel bikes for 2 hours (free) to cycle to cabo st. vincent.
we would highly recommend this hotel. staff were all exceptional, very professional, very welcoming and helpful.
its in a great position and the views cannot be beaten. there are two pools (indoor and outdoor), gym and spa but we ran out of time, and did not get a chance to use them.
the hotel runs a 'special offer' type scheme with local restaurants, shops, bars etc. you get a complimentary starter, drink, etc. or discount. we ate in a couple of the recommended restaurants and both were great.
we are hoping to return here one day, despite there being virtually nothing to do in the area, apart from walking, cycling etc., its a great place to stay, totally relaxed.

Room Tip: get a sea view room, and ask for one near to reception etc. as its a bit of a maze on lower levels!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We really loved our time in Sagres. We spent two nights here. The hotel is very clean and is decorated in a clean, modern style. Our room was great. We were upgraded to a bay view and it was lovely. The beds are incredible! The front desk staff was great- they spent a lot of time helping us and we loved their recommendations. They really went out of their way, which I didn't expect for a large hotel. I think my favorite thing about this hotel was the Living Sagres guide. The restaurants on it were excellent and it was fun to get little treats (free wine, appetizers, etc.) wherever we went. Definitely become a Design Hotels International member to get this, upgrades, and late checkout. We were able to push our checkout to 3 pm! The area around Sagres is some of the most beautiful wild country I have ever seen and it is easy to get anywhere from the hotel if you have a car. I definitely will return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Long week end break in February, and a perfect escape from the endless grey winter in England. Many of the same staff from when we first went 5 years ago; pleased to see that standards of service are still high and the place still looks crisp and well maintained. Love the location and the serene atmosphere of the place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Como, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I had a painful road trip along the coast of Spain during busy summertime, so we decided to book a lush spa hotel stay in Portugal, away from the crowd. What we thought is was gonna be a fantastic chilled time it ended up with a "back parking" view room and a very expensive bill. The hotel was so packed that we struggled finding a free table for breakfast. The pool was full of screaming kids and the staff was not particularly friendly. We complained for 3 days, but because we paid in advance we decided to complete our stay.
The last day they gave us a lovely ocean view room, which it was much better of course….but still way to expensive for what the place offers! To be honest the view from the front garden and the surrounding landscape are stunning...

Room Tip: if you decide to book it make sure to ask for a room with a view...otherwise you can end up wit love...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Memmo Baleeira Hotel? Share your experiences!