“Avoid... if possible” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 9 hotels in Sagres
lisboa
“Avoid... if possible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Well the good stuff first: Nice and big pool, large rooms and free parking with lots of space.
Now the bad: Everything else. Rooms poorly decorated and uncorftable, the staff is awfull, the breakfast is terrible (the worst i've ever seen) and... i think you got the picture. Avoid...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

The Hotel is located at the entrance of the town and if you reach Sagres by bus from Lagos you have the Eva Bus stop just in front of it, so be attentive, look on the left hand side and book your stop as soon as you read Don Tenorio. We had the chance to have an amazing room (room number 113): big, clean, with a view of the swimming pool. The rate was interesting and the whole experience went way beyond our expectations. We only had breakfast and I cannot complain at all. The rate was unexpensive, therefore I would definitely consder this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Hi All, I just got back from a one night stay at the Don Tenorio Hotel Apartmento in Sagres and here is my review. Driving around on my way to Sagres I saw a sign for this 3* hotel that was just off the main road. Usually I check Trip Advisor and I go from there but this was a shot in the dark, as I approached the property it was tidy and in good shape. I parked in front of the lobby so I could check to see if there was availability, at this moment a young man came forward and I asked him if he had rooms, he replied yes but nervously he said you have to move your vehicle, the director doesn`t want anyone parked in front, I agreed but it`s not like I was blocking anyone and I was just there for a minute or two to see if this suited me. In any case I moved my vehicle and I asked to see the room, on my way to the room I asked him how much it was, he said $36 Euros including breakfast for two. Since his English was average I asked him to confirm the price that I thought was too low for this kind of place. $36 it was! Upon entering the room I couldn’t believe the size of this place it was huge, this room was made to access handicap people, there was a long hallway leading to a huge room with tall ceilings, I then opened the curtains and there was this beautiful pool steps away from the room, I said to myself what a catch!! On the way back to the reception he mentioned that there was no air conditioning in this hotel. I figured that was okay since this was off season and the nights were cool but southern Portugal can get really hot so be aware, what were they thinking when they built this place. Anyways it was fine for a night at that price, and the breakfast was very acceptable. So here you have it, the pros: Cheap, great pool, oversized room, free parking. The cons: No air conditioning, no fans, no screens on the door, and the management seems to terrorize there staff. And for the final question would I return to this hotel, yes if it`s off season and the temperature is cool, otherwise no way it`s not worth it!
Cheers!

Room Tip: Ground floor might be cooler than upper floors, No air conditioning
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We booked this hotel because it was the cheapest for that period and we really needed to stop in Sagres for three days to have surfing classes.
Well, by the way 'the cheapest' means 440 Euro for a double room for 4 nights. It's not very cheap as you might see.

We knew that it was not new but the surprise was bigger than anyone could imagine.

Advantages:
- a nice swimming pool (which is not so useful considering the climate in Sagres in August);
- a large free parking which was useful for us with a van.

Disadvantages (seems like everything else):

- old rooms with many problems. for example, we had three rooms and only one of them had a working (not easy-working) window locker. the staff said that they were sure that nobody would steal anything. it was a nice promise from them, such a guarantee!

- room service was a real shock. what they did was: they made a bed and then threw some of my things on it. first day it was my shorts. the day after it was a shirt of my girlfriend. I repeat: the things were not put, they were thrown, i.e. creasy and etc.
all other things were just untouched.

- the staff (few oldmen and one young guy) were a bit silly and certainly not friendly. However, the young guy was more friendly then his colleagues, but definitely same silly, with bad english. That's a rather big hotel and we don't understand that choice of personnel.

- the breakfast was very poor. bread, 1 sort of ham, 1 sort of cheese, butter, cornflakes and drinks (the coffee machine was quite good, but the rest of drinks were s**t.)

So what I would say - it's possible to stay in this hotel, you will not die (probably).
BUT for that price they can at least try to change something from 70's.
If we did not have any business in Sagres (as surfing) and had to 'enjoy' our hotel, we would be unhappy the rest part of the trip.

So please think twice before spending this money on something that doesn't deserve it and even doesn't try to!

Good luck!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Coquitlam, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

The room was clean, large - lots of space for small children to play, but sparsely furnished, which was okay because we were just there for 1 night. The service at the front desk could have been more friendly and professional.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Pembrokeshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

We read all the other reviews the night before we left to go to Don Tenorio Aparthotel and we thought we were in for a nightmare.

However

The hotel was great - on suite bathroom, really clean, staff were friendly and helpful, sugared almonds at reception, the location was spot on etc etc etc.
Obviously if you are used to staying at the Hilton it's not for you but that should come as no surprise considering the prices.

I truly believe that some people go on holiday for the sole reason of reinforcing their belief that home is best and they view everything with this in mind. After all, who goes on sites like this to write positive reviews? Me, that's who.

Don Tenorio Aparthotel is great - stay there (but be aware that 'studio apartment' should probably be read as 'room with beds in and a fridge').

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Jerez
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

The rooms were unclean. The shower was broken. The staff were abrasive and unhelpful. The decor is based on the colour yellow. The breakfast was a croissant and concentrate juice. The most overpriced hotel I have ever stayed in. It really is in the middle of nowhere, I´d stay in Lagos if I was going to this area again...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Don Tenorio Aparthotel? Share your experiences!