I've done a whole bunch of Tripadvisor reviews over the years and this is one of the hardest ever because I really want to rate this place higher. I'd go back in a heartbeat and I waffled between a 3 and 4 but, after thinking about it for a week, it's a three. My wife and I just spent two weeks in Portugal at five different places (including two other pousadas) and Pousada de Sagres just doesn't measure up for the reasons below.
First of all, what we loved. The view is beyond belief, really one of the most stunning places we've ever stayed. You really feel you are looking out on the end of the known world. Even better was the staff. They were so personable and willing to help and give advice. Breakfasts (the same, with minor changes, in every pousada) were fresh and very extensive. Eggs, breads, rolls, many different fresh fruits, meats, cheeses, and on and on. No need for lunch after a breakfast like that. The balcony and balcony furniture made it our favorite spot. The bed was just fine with a lovely, light comforter, and first rate linens throughout.
So, what makes it a three star? A whole bunch of stuff that could be (and should be, at a pousada) remedied quickly and, in most cases, pretty easily. Like chipped paint. I could have touched them up in five minutes - max - but there probably were 15 chipped paint areas in our room and hallway. The bedroom furniture (desk, closet) was old and, frankly, reminded me a of 1960s-era college dorm room. Not at all first-quality stuff. The mini-fridge was a joke. The safe didn't work. We let the staff know that the first day. On the last day, the safe still didn't work. The lighting fixtures were old, pretty ugly, and gave off about as much light as three candles on each side of the bed. Others in the room were no better. Outside, the wall beyond the swimming pool is cracked, stained and in need of paint.
I would guess that this pousada is an ongoing project. The door/window to the balcony was very new and a perfect seal to noise. As stated above, the bed, mattress, pillows and linens were all top quality. I would guess the owners are working on the place, little by little, and I understand that. What I don't understand are things like chipped paint and a worthless mini-fridge.
My wife and I really do hope to go back. The Sagres area - particularly the beaches north of Cape St. Vincent - is great. I hope they've touched up the paint by then.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In a Fortress with a breath-taking view The Pousada de Sagres is part of a scenario with flavours of the sea and with great historical importance. Designed by architect Jose Segurado and opened in 1960, in the commemorations of the fifth centenary of the death of Prince D. Henrique. From here, one can see the Fortress of Sagres, from where the Portuguese caravels departed for the Discoveries. Cape St. Vicente, named Sacrum Promontorium, is one of the most south-western parts of Europe, and fishing port. Overall, Algarve signifies soft sandy beaches with turquoise blue sea, green pine forests, flowers amongst the dunes, heat and a climate for passion, whether it is in the intense summer or the tranquil winter. But Algarve is more than just that. It's in this different Algarve where you can find the small fishing town known as the Vila do Bispo (Bishop's Town) and were lies Sagres in the south of Algarve. In entering the Sagres region you absorb a mystic atmosphere surrounded by an unspoilt landscape where the sea and the mountains meet to form an unusual natural heritage. The Pousada has 51 rooms that are ideal for an invigorating rest which include air conditioning, a desk and a safe. Outside there is a magnificent pool with sun loungers around it offering a stunning view of the coast. The more active guests can go fishing, Walking or do some surfing. After a relaxing day the guests of the Pousada de Sagres, Infante, can enjoy the Pousada's restaurant, which offers its guests the best cuisine of Algarve based on the sea and the freshness of its ingredients. The Fortress of Sagres is located 5 minutes by car from the hotel and the city of Lagos can be reached within 30 minutes. Experiencing the Pousada de Sagres is a starting point to go and discover the cultural authenticity of this region. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Venere, Odigeo, Escapio and Tingo so you can book your Pousada de Sagres, Infante reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pousada Do Infante Sagres
- Pousada Do Infante Hotel Sagres