Martinhal is quite different than any other resort in the Algarve. For one,it does not sit on a golf course. It also in not located near a town with pubs and restaurants catering to tourists. There are no extensive green, manicured lawns and big hotels. Martinhal is different, special and really not for everyone. The resort is designed in a way that respects the environment-with low built structures that better compliment its cliff side position. The best accommodation, the Ocean Houses, have beautiful view of the unspoilt coastline. On a windy day (more often in July and early August but then tapering off) you can see the windsurfers and kite surfers speeding through the crystal water. The beach is relatively empty and though the water can be cold, the fact that there are so few people make it well worth it.
The facilities in the resort improve every year we have gone to Martinhal (we have been guests since its opening) and it is really the perfect place for families with young children. There are plenty of things for them to do at the kids club but also just watching them run around the central square by the new 'surf bar' and restaurant usually keeps everyone happy. For older kids there are surf lessons or as we have all done, windsurfing lessons.
Food is good and service can be inconsistent but the staff does try hard and is all rather young and energetic (also something unusual for the Algarve). You can also cook meals in your houses, get prepared meals at the on site market or dine on or off the property. There is a local supermarket about 2km from Martinhal called Intermarche which has a nice choice of food and wine.
The Luxury Villas do vary in luxury so best to ask lots of questions when booking. Villas have private owners that rent the property to the resort so decor, layout and standards seem to be quite different.
The nearest town of Sagres is charming. Unsophisticated, laid back and full of young people (surfers) in camper vans is the scene. But there are some very good restaurants, fun bars and the vibe makes it all feel rather hip and cool in an understated way.
If you are looking for a non-resort 'resort' than Martinhal is the place to go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is the finest luxury family resort in Europe. Positioned within a protected natural park near the historic fishing port of Sagres, on Portugal’s unspoiled western Algarve coast, Martinhal is where luxury meets Nature. Martinhal welcomes families and couples, and the greeting is warm, open and generous. Guests feel at home. And it’s memorable. This is where life-long friendships will blossom, and where lasting impressions will be made. Stylish, contemporary architecture complements the organic personality of the resort, which has been shaped to blend effortlessly into the indigenous landscape. This is function and form at its best. This is sustainability. And Martinhal is more. For conferences, weddings and celebrations, Europe’s finest luxury resort sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, seekda GmbH, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Escapio and Tingo so you can book your Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martinhal Beach Resort And Hotel
- Martinhal Beach Hotel Sagres