This was our first holiday abroad with our two twin boys who are 15 months old. We booked directly with the hotel and they arranged transport from the airport which takes around 80 minutes. The taxi driver was extremely friendly and even had wifi and cartoons for the boys in the taxi which was a mercedes people carrier type thing with two baby seats so the boys could nap on the way there. The staff were incredibly helpful from the moment we arrived, checking us in quickly so we could get to our room. We rented two interconnecting beach rooms on ground floor level. They were exactly what we needed for our stay. They benefit from iPod docks and nespresso machines, bathrobes and flip flops, a huge bathroom with bath, walk n shower etc with luxury voya toiletries which are always restocked . Thee is a tv with various English channels, a large dressing table, mini bar and safe .The rooms themselves are very spacious and look directly out onto the sea. The boys had been given a cot each with an extra mattress added so they wee not uncomfortable! We also were provided with door protectors, in fact the hotel offers change mats, bath seats etc all complimentary. Rooms are cleaned daily and there is a turn down service at night. The housecleaning team knew when our boys napped in the day and would clean the room in between and the turn down service did not try knocking on there door in the evening as they knew they would be asleep.
As it was my husbands birthday when we stayed the hotel gave us two bottles of champagne on arrival and a lovely chocolate cake on his actual birthday which was a really lovely gesture.
We found the breakfast in the morning plentiful and the boys loved the amount of choice!
We tended to use the beach pool and the pool near the village square the most. All four pool areas have a childrens pool as well and the always seemed the be an abundance of toys and inflatables to use. There are also a few play areas , our boys loved the swings! As we travelled in October it did not seem busy or over run and the weather was beautiful and not windy at all.
We ate most days in the m bar and as dunas, the service in both was efficient, and the boys food always bought out first as they knew they were hungry.
The convenience store was a little pricey, so if bringing toddlers make sure you pack enough wipes and nappies, also items like Ella's kitchen and organix bars etc were nearly six euros a pack , which is a lot but I guess they are imported goods, so will attract a premium!
The beach is amazing, great for kids as lovely and sandy but the water slightly too cold for me, and is easily accessible from the hotel.
I went to the spa for several treatments which were lovely. There is a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna which you can use any time, even if you are not having a treatment. I found this great as I could pop up,in the day when the boys were napping and my husband was looking after them and just enjoy some quiet time reading my book in the relaxation area. There is also complimentary green tea and mineral water there, along with robes and towels etc.
the gym is small but has everything you could need, and was never busy. It's open until 8pm.
As our boys go to bed early we used room service or the take away facility from the Italian. Both were great and we enjoyed a meal out on our veranda every night.
We will definetly be back next year as this hotel really does to out its way to cater for children whilst still maintaining a five star feel. Thank you to all staff at the hotel for making our stay great!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is the finest luxury family resort in Europe. Positioned within a protected natural park near the historic fishing port of Sagres, on Portugal’s unspoiled western Algarve coast, Martinhal is where luxury meets Nature. Martinhal welcomes families and couples, and the greeting is warm, open and generous. Guests feel at home. And it’s memorable. This is where life-long friendships will blossom, and where lasting impressions will be made. Stylish, contemporary architecture complements the organic personality of the resort, which has been shaped to blend effortlessly into the indigenous landscape. This is function and form at its best. This is sustainability. And Martinhal is more. For conferences, weddings and celebrations, Europe’s finest luxury resort sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, seekda GmbH, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Escapio and Tingo so you can book your Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martinhal Beach Resort And Hotel
- Martinhal Beach Hotel Sagres