We stayed in the beach room with full sea view for 5 nights. The beach is maybe a 3 minute walk from the beach rooms. These rooms are superb as you have a stunning view and you can hear the sea all night - not in a loud way more a soothing you to sleep way. There are also beach rooms partial sea view and they are just as described - same style of room but not a full view of the sea. This was our second visit to the Martinhal after having visited during the first year in 2010.
All staff encountered were very good as before from reception to maid service, restaurant and maintenance staff. All very friendly and courteous and had obviously been trained to very high standards. The cleanliness of the rooms and all equipment was as spotless and in great condition as it had been during my first visit 3 years ago. The maids were great as they would nip in if you were just gone for breakfast for half an hour and they would have the place spotless on your return.
The main O Terroco restaurant was closed for a couple of weeks whilst its being extended so I'm sure this will add to the experience in the Martinhal. We dined in O Terroco restaurant the last time and the 5 course menu there is superb. Not cheap but definitely worth trying at least one night. As such on this occasion all food had to be taken in As Dunas which was fine - some nice seafood choices. A couple of nice restaurants in Sagres itself but many are closed in January. Fish is the main speciality which was superb - try the sea bass!
We stayed in Early January - deliberately as we knew the place would be very very quiet. Which it was! We had the pools and restaurants to ourselves which suited us fine. We went in October the first year and it was busier but not too crowded - this may have changed since as the resort is certainly gaining in popularity. I would say choose your time wisely as if you're going for a quiet relaxing couples break then avoid certain times of the year as this is a family resort and as such the peak holidays season would be jammed with lots of kids etc. (I'm not anti kids - its just it wont make for a relaxing couples break :-) Next time I go back I would say it will be March/April - we were lucky with the weather in January maybe 17/18 degrees most days. Also, the rates can vary widely depending on the time of year you pick.
I would advise getting a car if you're staying for any length of time as there are things to see in the area and the town of Sagres is maybe 1.5-2 miles. There are mini markets on the way to the town which are fairly well stocked for those who are going on the self catering option. There are also nice towns within half an hour drive that are worth a look. All in all a very nice relaxing break and cant wait to go back....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is the finest luxury family resort in Europe. Positioned within a protected natural park near the historic fishing port of Sagres, on Portugal’s unspoiled western Algarve coast, Martinhal is where luxury meets Nature. Martinhal welcomes families and couples, and the greeting is warm, open and generous. Guests feel at home. And it’s memorable. This is where life-long friendships will blossom, and where lasting impressions will be made. Stylish, contemporary architecture complements the organic personality of the resort, which has been shaped to blend effortlessly into the indigenous landscape. This is function and form at its best. This is sustainability. And Martinhal is more. For conferences, weddings and celebrations, Europe’s finest luxury resort sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Escapio, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Martinhal Sagres Beach Resort & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martinhal Beach Resort And Hotel
- Martinhal Beach Hotel Sagres