“Great place but a few snags” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel

Save Saved
You added Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel to your Saves list
Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Urbanizacao Quinta do Martinhal | Apartado 54, Sagres 8650-908, Portugal   |
Special Offer
Extend your Summer
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sagres
London,UK
“Great place but a few snags”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just come back from a half term trip to Martinhal. This is our third trip and on this visit we stayed in one of the Pinewood villas. They are fantastic and come with their own small pool which is great for the children. The main room is massive and 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms all a great size. There is a wrap around balcony on the first floor but because the weather wasn't brilliant we didn't use it. There is also a terrace and outside seating so we did eat outside a few times which was lovely.
The Pinewood villas are a slightly farther walk from the hotel pool and beach but closer to the main square and the all important blue room.
This time we went with friends and 2 children (aged 11 & 7) and although it rained several times there was still plenty to keep the children occupied. We only resorted to a pay for view movie once!
The drive from Faro airport is very straightforward and takes about 1 hour 20 minutes if you drive at a leisurely pace.

Check in was seamless and the children loved going on the golf buggies from the hotel check in to the villa. The receptionist showed us all around and made sure we knew how everything worked and also sorted the pool, which looked very inviting. I think the pool heating maybe turned on when you arrive as it was a bit chilly to start and was definitely warmer by the end of the week although that could be all in my mind.

The main asset of this resort is the staff team. Without fail all the staff were charming and friendly. They were always keen to help and were great with the children.

However there are a few snags I'd like to mention for management to take note of....

1) No milk:
We had our children booked into tennis academy for three mornings (recommended) and the 'Mums' wandered into the club house cafe at Club 98 to have a coffee. We were told that they couldn't make any coffee as there was no milk. Strange as there was a shop and restaurant within a few hundered yards but okay.The second morning we once again went into the cafe to have some coffee. We were once again told that there was no milk. When I asked could they not get some..I was told that the resort was closing shortly so all supplies were being wound down. Odd business as for the sake of a pint of milk they lost out on the sale of eight coffees. We didn't ask on day three!!!
2) SPA lunch closure:
We booked some treatments in the SPA and although the system is computerised within 5 minutes of returning to our villa after making the bookings in person, we were told there was a problem and we'd have to change them. I had a 30 minute massage booked at 12.30pm which was lovely and very relaxing and afterwards I was shown to a recliner and given some tea. I lay and chatted with a friend for a few moments savouring our respective treatments and enjoying the peace and quiet. Then the receptionist approached us to apologise but the SPA closed for lunch between 1pm and 2pm so we'd have to leave.
I have no problem if the SPA closes but I do not think they should have taken my booking at 12.30pm without informing me that I'd be asked to leave almost immediately. It certainly was not the relaxing experience I was anticipating.
Also although we wanted to book more treatments we were told that they only had two therapists as everyone had gone on holiday so they couldn't fit us in. Once again a bit odd as this was during half term so relatively busy.
3) As Dunas-given wong dish
We ate in As Dunas a few times and always thoroughly enjoyed the food. On our last night we decided to go again and I opted for the Monk Fish with rice as one of the dishes. A very large dish arrived but was full of rice, prawns, crab claws, clams etc, no monkfish obvious to me. When I queried this with the waiter I was told that this was to give the monk fish extra flavour and the monk fish would be at the bottom. I started to eat the meal but after a bit more digging about in the pot and not finding any monkfish I called over another waiter and asked him where was the monkfish as I couldn't find any in the pot? He looked puzzled and said I was eating the shell fish rice stew! I said his colleague had told me it was the monkfish stew, but he just looked very embarrassed. He said he would replace it but it would take about 30 minutes to get me the monkfish stew. As everyone else had virtually finished their main courses I said I would stick with the fish stew. The chef came out and apologised but what was annoying was I wasn't even offered a glass of wine or other recompense even though I had queried the dish when it first arrived. The fish stew was fine but not what I ordered and it wasn't cheap.

These are a few examples of systems not quite working. Also the resort was obviously winding down, which gave a bit of a weird feeling and became annoying when you couldn't even get a coffee.

We will come again as the resort and staff are fantastic but I would not come again during October half term as the level of service was definitely in 'end of season mode' with supplies running out, restaurants closed and limited SPA provision.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Paula L, Guest Relations Manager at Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to share your detail impressions on your most recent stay with us.
We are very glad to know how much you enjoyed the luxury and comfort of our Pine Wood Houses as well as all our superb facilities, programs and activities for all ages!
Many thanks for your high praises and compliments on our service. We know how much a friendly, attentive and professional staff does make all the difference therefore your recognition in highly valued. Nevertheless we apologize for the inconveniences experienced which fall short of the superb hospitality we strive for and that certainly have no resemblance with our usual standards.
All of us at Martinhal look forward to your return so that you and your family may experience our positive progress and enjoy a truly perfect stay with plenty of pampering!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Martinhal is a great resort on a great beech with great accommodation. The apartments are superb and the pools and restaurants lovely

Sagres offers nothing to make this a good place to go on holiday and lets Martinhal down.

• Stayed December 2011
Paula L, Guest Relations Manager at Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. It is so good to know how much you enjoyed our superb, comfortable and luxurious accommodation, first class hospitality and fantastic facilities in our privilege location by the lovely Martinhal Beach.
On your return – hopefully very soon - we will be delighted to provide you with information on our region’s impressive history and culture (the realm of Prince Henry the Navigator and Portugal’s Age of Discovery during the 15th century), recommend best folk festivals, markets and fairs, the best historic sites, museums (well worth a visit) as well as the best places to enjoy our region’s breathtaking views and unspoiled beaches.
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Always a pleasure to holiday here. Kids club is just brilliant. Apartments are great too.

Everywhere is clean and very well maintained.

Food is good, although a bit pricey and the buffet dinner in the hotel over half term is not great value.

Will be heading back next year

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your delightful review and for once again making Martinhal your first choice.
It is indeed a great pleasure and very gratifying to know how much you and your family spent a brilliant holiday with us.
Your kind appreciation of our services is heart-warming as we aim to continuously surpass our Clients expectations.
We also look forward to warmly welcome you and your family next year!
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was our second trip to martinhal, and we're looking forward to our trip next year,the boys age are ages 8 and 10 , they were busy all day between tennis swimming ,football, and if they were bored they could head to the blue room, where they had table tennis, playstations or watch a movie, or made new friends, the staff are very helpfull and friendly.

The beach is a great for an evening walk any time of year, and the boys loved the trampoline....martinhal is a great place for all the family, and having wifi in your house or even by the pool was great....so I guess I am a big fan.

Room Tip: Not all houses have heated pools in the winter , so ask first , this trip we took a garden house ,an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
How wonderful to learn that you and your family had a perfect stay and without a dull moment! Thank you for your fantastic review and for your loyalty to Martinhal. Your kind words are very rewarding; it’s fantastic to know our efforts are recognised.
We also look forward to warmly welcome you and your family next year and to provide plenty more exceptional holiday experiences.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Went at October half term with teenage children.

The apartments are excellent...well appointed with great views. The service was by and large pretty good too and the pool by the beach was fine as was the beach itself.

The disappointing aspect was the choice of food. The Italian restaurant was shut and the main hotel restaurant, whose Portuguese "fine dining" was a factor in our booking the holiday, served a disappointingly generic buffet for the entire week with the a la carte menu out of commission.

This left one restaurant...As Dunas....that appealed. We liked As Dunas but not enough to go every night and we ended up going into Sagres where we would have been happy to stay in the resort given a decent choice.

The resort was busy but did not seem packed and the decision to dumb down O Terraco for the fortnight did not work for us at all.

If you have not got small children, turn up for dinner after 8

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing with us your wonderful family experience at Martinhal. Your kind words of appreciation of our service are very rewarding.
We regret to know that you find our food choice limited. During the Half-term holidays we held at Martinhal a special Family Surf Spirit program with many activities. The buffet dinner service in O Terraço Restaurant is not usual and was done especially to suit the topic of Surf and in view of the high number of families staying with us. Nevertheless, although our Italian Concept Restaurant was closed, we had a wide selection of take-away pizzas available as well as delicious take-away meals from O Mercado.
We look forward to the pleasure of warmly welcome you all back in the near future!
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Starting with the plus points - The kids facilities and kids club - all great. The kids get a present when they arrive (bat & ball game, or bucket & spade or armbands) which was a nice touch. The proximity to the beach. The set up for kids in the restaurants was good, with little tables with colouring and toys for them to play with. The spa treatments were great - my 4 year old loved her massage with mummy and was given her own robe and looked so cute, I loved my facial and my husband had a good massage.

However, even with the spa there were problems - no hot drinks, sauna and steam room not working... In fact almost every aspect of the hotel could be improved in some way!

The rooms are unsuitable for toddlers as everything is at coffee table height - tv, phone, music system, lights... crockery and glasses are all in a cupboard at the same kind of height, so within a day my 21 month old continuously turned the TV on and off, called reception about 100 times until I unplugged the phone to move it and opened and got out all the glasses out onto the tiled floor - a minor miracle that nothing was broken, well apart from 2 lightbulbs!

Our other issue with the room was the underfloor heating that didn't work... and took 2 days to fix. I was told that it was an problem they knew about so it would take a while to fix as if this was an excuse - when they should have fixed it already if they knew it was a problem!

The restaurants were expensive and a disappointment. This is the main reason not to visit out of season, we went october half-term and one restaurant was closed and one only served a poor standard buffet (with nothing for kids to eat). Visit the beach restaurant (independent) instead as its half the price and twice as good as the hotel.

Staffing issues: Some staff very friendly and helpful others extremely surly... The reception had also moved because it was out of season and was often unmanned. Double check things like babysitters as ours was cancelled without our knowledge!

As you'd expect the weather in October was a bit hit and miss - when it was sunny it was lovely, but cold (coat weather) when it was cloudy. And very windy (apparently this is a feature all year round)

Final bugbear was that although I applaud it's eco-friendliness, they heat their pools with solar panels - that means that when its cloudy the pools aren't heated - exactly when you need them to be heated!! So predictably the pools in October were cold at 24degrees!

With all these problems, we did still have a fun holiday but I put that down to the company (we were away with friends), the beach and getting some sunshine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Paula L, Guest Relations Manager at Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you for sharing your impressions on your recent stay with us.
We are very glad that your little ones enjoyed their welcome presents and that our specially created play areas in our restaurants did contribute to a superior dinning experience.
How wonderful to learn of your lovely family memories of our Kids Clubs, children’s facilities, SPA our privileged location, etc. It was a pleasure to pamper you all with our fantastic treatments some of which, as you had the opportunity to indulge, where specially created for “Mother & daughter”.
Further to your review, please allow us to make the following observations:
• Some of the facilities that our Guests may enjoy in our SPA are: sauna, Jacuzzi, Turkish-bath, relaxing areas and others which have all been fully operational without any limitations.
• In the relaxing areas we have available complementary water, cold teas and a selection of dried fruits. As per our standards, the hot herbal teas are offered after each treatment by our therapists as they are freshly and individually prepared for each Client.
• Please kindly note that we do take the security of our little valued Guest very seriously plus we have available to all our Clients our Baby Concierge where numerous items can be requested for an easier and more relaxed family stay. We therefore regret not knowing earlier that your did not find the furniture height suitable for your children as we would have gladly present you with adequate solutions so that you could fully enjoy the comfort of our luxurious accommodation.
• Further to your comments regarding the under floor heating kindly note that since the end of last winter none of our prior Clients staying in your accommodation had requested to have it switch on, in fact our wonderful weather conditions do not allow much need to use this luxury feature. However, as you may recall this situation was promptly resolved by our Maintenance Team (nevertheless, and as explained, please note that the under floor heating system does not show its results as fast as the air-conditioning which is was also one of the equipments available in your accommodation for heating).
• During the past fortnight, our Martinhal Family Surf Spirit weeks were running with various activities for kids on Half-term holidays including Surf awareness sessions, Surf displays by surf legend Fabio Gouveia, Surf shaping displays and so on – all of which took place even in this cold and wet weather, which is not at all usual for our Autumns.
The surf spirit buffet which we laid on is also not usual and was done especially for our Surf Spirit weeks to change the theme of the dining area to suit the topic of Surf. We are sorry that your children didn’t have a good enough choice – we will work on this and in fact, for Christmas and New Year, we will be running a special children’s buffet in that same restaurant to enable families to have a lovely Christmas celebration together. Please also note that although one of our restaurants is currently closed we continue to have a wide selection of take-away pizzas available as well as delicious take-away meals from O Mercado.
• We regret that you have not experienced the quality of service that we are so highly renowned and we strive to provide. On this note all our Front Office Team is now located in our Hotel Reception which is operational 24h. On this note we wish to apologize for any inconvenience caused by the miscommunication when your have contacted us to rearrange your babysitting dates. Please kindly note that this was a very unusual situation.
• In deed we had some days with some showers during the period of your stay where the average temperature was 22ºC. However, our Leisure and Kids Club Teams add daily family programs to keep everyone entertained when the sun was not out in its full glory as we are so well used to.
• We do take pride and being eco-friendly resort however please note that the swimming pools are not 100% heated by solar panels. Solar panels are only part of the energy source to keep the temperatures of our swimming pools between 26ºC and 29ºC. Kindly also note that these temperatures are constantly computer monitored to ensure the ideal conditions and enjoyment of our Clients.
Thank you once again for your review whish has been presented to our Senior Management. We all hope that the above as been of help to clear any misconceptions and that you will choose to return to Martinhal in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Enjoying a week here . Villas are very well appointed , spacious and comfortable, hard to fault. Kids club for teenagers and younger kids is best have seen. pS3 table tennis , etc However part of the attraction to come here was the "Football Academy" for my 13 year old son and his friend. Baring in mind they play Football to a fairly high standard at home the resort does not offer anything approaching a Football Academy. 2 Indifferent sessions and one cancelled due to coach being off. La manga is streets ahead . 2 tennis courts for the whole complex must surely be too few in high season . Resort is beautifully appointed , food and facilities good but it is not a Football academy ! Could also do with a bar as is no focal point to meet up . Is either restaurant or village square , which is a really well set out area but the "bar" was merely there to support take aways. Despite negative comments I would both recommend and would come back but need to sort out the Football Coaching as described and set up a focal point bar .

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Paula L, Guest Relations Manager at Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted to know how much you and your family enjoyed our beautiful and very comfortable luxurious accommodation, our beautiful kept grounds, our top quality facilities and services and many special features that make Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel all so special.
On your note regarding our Football Academy, we regret that you have not found it suitable as they are aimed at beginners and intermediate levels. Nevertheless, our coaches are very willing to organize special classes according to our Clients individual specifications, therefore prior to your next stay please update us on your expectations so that we may exceed them! We are also happy to announce that next year we will have a new family bar in our Village Square as the existing facility is only a temporarily solution.
We will be looking forward to your return where you and your family will definitely experience our continuous positive progress.

Been to Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel? Share your experiences!