Starting with the plus points - The kids facilities and kids club - all great. The kids get a present when they arrive (bat & ball game, or bucket & spade or armbands) which was a nice touch. The proximity to the beach. The set up for kids in the restaurants was good, with little tables with colouring and toys for them to play with. The spa treatments were great - my 4 year old loved her massage with mummy and was given her own robe and looked so cute, I loved my facial and my husband had a good massage.
However, even with the spa there were problems - no hot drinks, sauna and steam room not working... In fact almost every aspect of the hotel could be improved in some way!
The rooms are unsuitable for toddlers as everything is at coffee table height - tv, phone, music system, lights... crockery and glasses are all in a cupboard at the same kind of height, so within a day my 21 month old continuously turned the TV on and off, called reception about 100 times until I unplugged the phone to move it and opened and got out all the glasses out onto the tiled floor - a minor miracle that nothing was broken, well apart from 2 lightbulbs!
Our other issue with the room was the underfloor heating that didn't work... and took 2 days to fix. I was told that it was an problem they knew about so it would take a while to fix as if this was an excuse - when they should have fixed it already if they knew it was a problem!
The restaurants were expensive and a disappointment. This is the main reason not to visit out of season, we went october half-term and one restaurant was closed and one only served a poor standard buffet (with nothing for kids to eat). Visit the beach restaurant (independent) instead as its half the price and twice as good as the hotel.
Staffing issues: Some staff very friendly and helpful others extremely surly... The reception had also moved because it was out of season and was often unmanned. Double check things like babysitters as ours was cancelled without our knowledge!
As you'd expect the weather in October was a bit hit and miss - when it was sunny it was lovely, but cold (coat weather) when it was cloudy. And very windy (apparently this is a feature all year round)
Final bugbear was that although I applaud it's eco-friendliness, they heat their pools with solar panels - that means that when its cloudy the pools aren't heated - exactly when you need them to be heated!! So predictably the pools in October were cold at 24degrees!
With all these problems, we did still have a fun holiday but I put that down to the company (we were away with friends), the beach and getting some sunshine.
- Also Known As:
- Martinhal Beach Hotel
- Martinhal Beach Hotel Sagres
- Martinhal Beach Resort And Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is the finest luxury family resort in Europe. Positioned within a protected natural park near the historic fishing port of Sagres, on Portugal’s unspoiled western Algarve coast, Martinhal is where luxury meets Nature. Martinhal welcomes families and couples, and the greeting is warm, open and generous. Guests feel at home. And it’s memorable. This is where life-long friendships will blossom, and where lasting impressions will be made. Stylish, contemporary architecture complements the organic personality of the resort, which has been shaped to blend effortlessly into the indigenous landscape. This is function and form at its best. This is sustainability. And Martinhal is more. For conferences, weddings and celebrations, Europe’s finest luxury resort sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Venere, Splendia, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, MrandMrsSmith and Otel so you can book your Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.