“A Fasting/Detox Away From It All” 5 of 5 stars

Moinhos Velhos
Cotifo, Lagos 8600-077, Portugal   |
Ranked #35 of 51 Hotels in Lagos
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“A Fasting/Detox Away From It All”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Last September I visited Moinhos Velhos for a week to train on the Physiospect unit and relax, see "A Peaceful, Relaxing week in Paradise". This year I returned to do a 10 day Fasting/Detox. Frank, Janni and Anna Korine are truly amazing people that have continued to keep this place functioning like a well oiled machine. I combined the Fasting/Detox with Yoga, a Liver Cleanse and four therapy treatments (Cranial Massage, Reiki, Shiatsu and Reflexology-at additional cost, but very well worth it). In between times there is a beautiful (salt water) pool, Jacuzzi and Sauna. We had a great trip to the beach which was a lovely break. Thank you ALL for a wonderful experience that I could not have done without you and the the other 11 faster who are now friends. I feel much much healthier and I am sure my body is functioning much more efficiently.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Families
Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I spent another 10 days at Moinhos Velhos after my first trip nearly 9 years ago. Back then my experience was so profound, I wanted every year to return. This time I flew all the way from Australia for the trip as there is nothing nearby me that can rival this place. Janni, Frank and Anna Korine are truly magical people that have continued to restore and keep this place in its true finest.
I undertook a 10 day juice fast, combined with Liver and Colon Cleanse. The same as the first time but I was again overwhelmed at the success of it once again!
I would highly recommend it thank you to the fabulous team and helpers that once again inspired me to live a more plant based lifestyle and return again - this time I hope sooner than last time. xo Kat

Room Tip: All rooms are good, in fact I had a cottage and I could have easily had a single room on its on.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have just had a fantastic week at MOINHOS VELHOS. I took the 7 day programme to make a short holiday at Moinhos Velhos, as well as training on the Physiospect machine. After being taken to my accommodation for the week, a very comfortable wooden cabin (pictured) I was made very welcome and shown around the retreat facilities. MOINHOS VELHOS is situated in a valley "away from it all". As well as the training, I was able to relax in these peaceful surroundings, it was wonderful to relax in the salt water pool and hot tub. The staff, a mix of permanent and volunteers were very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. I will return in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: I had a wooden cabin at the lower part of the complex, it was great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Montana, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Tonight is my last night of my two week juice fast at Moinhos Velhos. I feel healthy and energized. I’ve been drinking only juice and vegetable broth for two weeks and I never felt hungry. Moinhos Velhos is the perfect spot for a practical, busy Mom to get two weeks of peace and quiet, give her body a reboot, and lose a few pounds (more than a few) in the process. I feel better, look better, my skin is fabulous and I’m ready to head back to life!

Frank, Anne Karine and Janni are so knowledgeable and helpful but in a warm, quiet, confident, helpful way. There is no big production here, no attempt to sell you on a lifestyle , no faux medical setting. They approach fasting as a simple and natural process, not as a medical event.

It is a beautiful place, the gardens are amazing, wish I could have them at home. All the buildings and facilities are comfortable and clean. Everyone is very welcoming. Also received additional treatments of massage, acupuncture, reflexology from very pleasant and competent therapists. Enjoyed yoga classes, even sat in on meditation, enjoyed the sauna, hottub and pool.

Go to Moinhos Velhos if you can, you will be very glad you did.

Room Tip: The cottages have a pellet stove in addition to the steam heater which is nice if you are coming in...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Moinhos Velhos is set in one of the most breathtaking nature valleys I have ever seen. The center carries a nice energy, the staff is very helpful and friendly and there are some highly skilled therapists working there which help in making this detoxing retreat a very healing experience. The yoga studio is absolutely beautiful and a pleasure to practice in. Anne-Karine, one of the owners of Moinhos Velhos, is a knowledgeable woman with a lot of experience in many fields of healing and holistic health. If you are the type of person who enjoys to experience the benefits of juice fasting, yoga, good massages, great & inspiring company and pure heavenly relaxation in beautiful nature, this is definitely the perfect place to be. I thank all the staff of Moinhos Velhos for giving me a chance to learn from you!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

I was here for 2 weeks and had a wonderful time. Soon after my arrival, I could really feel the Divine and sacred energies of this place. In terms of location, Moinhos Velhos is in the hillsides of the Algarve, in a beautiful valley, buried in nature. It was so nice to stop every so often and just listen to the pure sounds of nature, without any mechanical interruptions... For me, it was the little things like this which made for such a rejuvenating and peaceful experience. Everyone I met here was so welcoming, kind and Loving... Wonderful people! Thank you for hosting me, and providing an experience I will never forget! :-)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I stayed at Moinhos Velhos in September 2011 and loved it. I felt really away from it all, surrounded by beautiful gardens, chickens roaming free, the most amazing salt water pool to swim in, a sauna that really helped my detox process and the yoga and therapies were bliss. I lost 4kg during my cleanse and by the end felt like I could have carried on forever! My skin was glowing, I had loads of energy and my mind cleared - I knew what I wanted to do next with my life and felt centred once more. Priceless. Would I go back? Yes!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Moinhos Velhos? Share your experiences!