“Great place.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clube Porto-Mos

Save Saved
You added Clube Porto-Mos to your Saves list
Clube Porto-Mos
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Estrada Do Porto de Mos | Praia Do Porto Mos, Lagos 8601-910, Portugal   |
Ranked #23 of 54 hotels in Lagos

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Isle of Lewis, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We went in the UK October half term on Easyjet....really silly flight times meaning it was gone midnight when we arrived at Clube Porto-Mos, when we arrived we were checked in very quickly and into our apartment by 1.30am! The brochure photos are very well taken as the apartment is quite different.

We had 4 adults in a 1 bed apartment, in hindsight we should have taken 2 rooms as it was cramped and we were waking each other up in the night going to the bathroom or getting a drink. The aprtment has everything and more, kettle, toaster, pans, plates etc. No cooker but 2 hob plates. You get washing up liquid and scrubber/tea towels supplied which is a good touch! The bathroom again has everything you need and a hair drier. The one in our room packed up on day 2 but was fixed later in the day.

We had an issue with ants also on the 2nd day and requested a room change. The ants were in our cases and clothes so we had a panic! The reception offered a spray which having one in our party with asthma was worrying. There were no other rooms in our category....sometimes a bit of customer service can go a long way. The maids are sporadic and come before 10am, so if you feel like a lie in or have teenagers that laze about put the Do Not Disturb on the door, our youngest had a real fright when they came to clean one morning! They missed several days so your towels need to last....

The breakfast buffet is an experience! The waitress needs smile classes, we guessed it was a buffet after seeing the scrum of people at the coffee machine. Its full of bread products but then again its a continental...all for 8.50 Euros......rip offffffff.......

You need a car!! You really do!!! There is nothing around the hotel, 2 restaurants/cafe's and the beach....thats all!! Even the Supermarket is a walk up a big, steep hill and takes over an hour. So if you want supplies or want to see anything else get a car! A Taxi to the centre was 5 Euro's.

There are good Car deals via reception, we hired a Fiesta for 3 days for 76 Euros. It was for 3 x 24 hours, so it was dropped off at 12 Tuesday and we returned 12 Thursday. We made great use of it!! The week long is dearer, obvs! I think what we did as in hiring half way through the day gave us most use.

The walk to the beach via the hill top path is a little scary! The hotel next door (Rapunzel??)...looked great btw, has a lovely path to their pool and building, we accidently follwoed this one thinking it was our path....we turned round and ended up on a dirt track with bo steps or handrails. I would only suggest use of this path if you have walking shoes on!

WIFI - free access as long as you are sat in reception, was so funny seeing the same teenagers sat in reception all day FB'ing mates! TV has lots of German channels and 2 English - BBC1 and Sky News.

Pools - one outdoor, very cold. Indoor in the "health spa" was warmer but mucky with bits floating...needed a good clean

Although it was 1/2 term the place was dead...nothing happening, restaurant had 5/6 people in at night. If you want quiet and boring...this is the place to go!

Room Tip: Pay for a larger room.....
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is in no way a 4 star...not even 3...maybe a 2. Horrific service. Like the other comment on here I have to say the breakfast buffet is one of the most awful I have seen and I have traveled a lot. There are a lot better hotels in Lagos in this same area. Keep looking.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is not a 4 star hotel. This is a 2+ star hotel. There was no air conditioning in the bedroom, only the living room. There were no window screens and I was bitten by mosquitoes. When the WiFi works, it only works in the lobby. I had to do some business, and I found myself sitting on the concrete outside a locked lobby door at midnight. BUT the worst thing that happened to me was during breakfast.

I had driven the previous day from Lisbon, and I woke very tired. The breakfast situation is very chaotic, and I was longing for a nice cup of coffee but could not figure out how their buffet worked. I could not get the attention of any of the cafeteria staff, and when I found the coffee it was horrific, didn't taste like coffee at all. The coffee comes out of a machine that you have to stand in line for. I tried to drink it, but it was too rank. I went to the bar, and the lady who worked the bar was quite annoyed that I didn't like the coffee. She had an espresso machine, and I begged her for an espresso. She charged me 6 Euro for it, and she told me that not only was this an inconvenience for her, but that the price difference between the breakfast coffee and the bar coffee is significant. So, I got my coffee, but then I couldn't find any utensils. Again, I could not get the attention of any of the staff. They were there to only bus tables, not wait on patrons. I later found out that the forks and spoons are in the middle of the buffet in a basket. I thought maybe I was just so tired, I was not functioning properly, but my traveling companion had the same difficulties I was having, the coffee and getting a fork. Since the staff ignored me, I wandered into the kitchen looking for a fork, and the cook almost beat me up. He was furious, he yelled at me. I told him he should not talk to me that way. He then followed me out, like he wanted to pick a fist fight with me. He was hostile and it almost erupted into violence. I couldn't bear the humiliation of his constant intimidations, walking by my table, staring at me like he was going to hit me. So I started to glare back at him, ready to hit back and he finally backed down. He was kind of a big guy, and it would have been ugly. I'm shocked. What kind of hotel hires an employee who is willing to get into a fight with a patron?

After breakfast I went to the lobby and tried to sign in on the WiFi, but could not connect. The signal was too weak. I told the front desk lady, and she reset the WiFi. Still, it did not work. When I went back to her, she gestured to a man texting on the couch, and she said, "It must be your phone, you see, he is connected." She was very condescending in her manner, and I decided to ask the guy if he was connected and he said, "No, I can't connect." So the WiFi was down. I told the front desk lady that I needed WiFi to do business while I was gone from home, and she said that there was nothing she could do. So, given all the problems I was having here, I saw this as a sign to leave early. We were supposed to stay 4 nights, but checked out after just 1. The front desk clerk was at first not going to let us leave, but after some argument, she relented. The hotel across the street, The Belmar, matched the price of our room at Clube Porto, so we packed up and moved across the street. I have to say that The Belmar is truly a 4 star hotel. For the same price we had a superior room, cleaner, more elegant, nicer pool, great hotel staff, and AWESOME breakfast, no fights, just good service, plates and forks at the beginning of the buffet line, coffee from an espresso machine, yum. OH and WiFi in the room!!!! Yay, we were so happy after we moved hotels. Loved, loved, loved Lagos too.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room at this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Karlsruhe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The entire site consists of approximately 12 two-storey villas with 5-6 apartments per villa. The reception staff were very helpful and spoke English and German. We booked "board only" so I cannot comment on the quality of the food. Clube Porto-Mos is listed as a four-star establishment, but I would say three stars are more appropriate. We had a three-four person apartment with two-single beds together in the master bedroom and a pull-out couch for an additional 1 or 2 people.

The bathroom features a single basin (no double) so you have to take turns in the bathroom each morning. The shower is integrated into the bathtub and there is one of those cheap and nasty plastic curtains. One of the two towel rails fell off - it wasn't mounted properly in the first place. There were signs of where a bidet once was and other bathroom fixtures had been removed and filled in cheaply and in rather ugly fashion. The light switch to the bathroom is located behind the door - which doesn't make sense. One of the two light bulbs over the mirror was broken and was never replaced for the duration of our stay.

One of the bedside lights in the master bedroom was broken and was never replaced for the duration of our stay. The mattresses were good and firm. The bedsheets clean, fresh and appealing. The pillows lack filling, so if you are used to a firm pillow either order an additional pillow or bring your own.

There are two windows that open out onto the patio - one from the master bedroom, the other from the living room. There is a sprinkler installed in the garden, so remember to pull the clothes horse in close to the wall, otherwise your bath towels are soaking wet in the morning.

The kitchen features a hot-plate, sink and fridge, microwave, kettle and coffee-maker and a toaster. The kitchen knives - as always - are as blunt as blazes. Cutlery, glassware and crockery in sufficient shape and form. Beware the ants! Do not leave food out in the open kitchen area - bring zip-loc bags or buy something from the supermarket. The hotel staff are aware of this problem and will promptly hand you some kind of biological spray which addresses the symptoms, but fails to get to the root of the problem. This, I felt, was not satisfactory.

As has been reported elsewhere, villa #1 has the nearest and best view of the ocean. However if you want to book this apartment you need to check with your tour operator - I was told only Jahnreisen and Olimar offer this category. TUIfly (with whom we booked) didn't.

The pool area is very attractive, but the pool is NOT heated and quite cold. There is a heated indoor pool adjacent to the pool...but that's not really what you want when on your summer holidays. There is also a small paddling pool area for toddlers.

There is a lot of grass, palm trees and plant life around which makes the site very appealing and attractive. The bar area, adjacent to the pool, is efficient but there is little or no life to it. A little bit more inspiration on behalf of the manager and catering staff here could do wonders for trade. A little bit of soft jazz music in the late afternoon with a happy hour or pool-side service would also work wonders. So, if you get my drift, the pool area is otherwise very, very quiet. Not necessarily to be recommended for families with teenagers expecting a bit of action. Bath towels can be borrowed from the reception with a €20 deposit for each towel.

The short walk to the beach is stony and depending on your footwear not exactly comfortable on the feet. The walk via the main road is much more suitable although less picturesque. The sand is very fine without pebbles or stones. There is a beach bar serving drinks and snacks into the evening hours. There are sun-loungers at the beach, but they have all seen better years. The beach area serves a lot of other guests and local residents so it fills up quickly. The sea is ice cold - beware!

The downtown area of Lagos was not exactly my cup of tea - a tourist trap. Hawkers everywhere trying to drag you in to their restaurant all serving the same kind of food. The quality is OK, but don't expect anything special. Bars and nightclubs everywhere all catering for the English tourists. Many of the restaurants and bars with TV screens showing non-stop football. I like my football, but this was just too much!

Lagos itself with its little shops selling the usual tourist paraphernalia. I personally dislike this kind of staff, but there are others that do - so decide for yourself. I would sooner recommend a short drive down the coast to the picturesque village of Luz. Lots of restaurants and bars - including your typical English pubs (The Bull) - not quite what I was expecting, but for the English mainstream - right up your street. Again, showing non-stop football and all-you-can-eat bargains.

The marina is a hub of activity and there are various outings that can be undertaken from there. Dolphin watching (two adults and one child: €80), a trip to the grottos is also thoroughly recommended (two adults and one child: €25).

Around the marina there are again lots of bars and clubs catering for the largely UK populace, offering cooked breakfasts and all-you-can-eat bargains. Not really what I had in mind when traveling abroad, but...whatever takes your fancy!

By far the best restaurant located within short walking distance from Clube Porto-Mos is Antonio's beach-side restaurant. It is the place where the locals go serving mainly fish dishes, but also meat. They have a good wine list - especially the vinho verdes - which go very well with the fish. For those less fussy with their food, beer is also on tap. I can thoroughly recommend the dorade, the squid, the prawns and the tuna - all very tasty, not particularly expensive either (anywhere between €55-80 for three people depending on after-dinner drinks and digestives). The service is good, but can be a bit slow on a busy night. Reservations are recommended, the house is full on most nights. You can sit outside or inside. The nights can be quite cool and very windy - so taking a pullover or cardigan is recommended.

Back to the site, the reception is the only area where a WiFi is installed. There is no WiFi in the villas. The WiFi does not reach to the pool area. For self-caterers there is a small supermarket (Eureka Market) within 1 km serving literally all you need: breakfast rolls and bread, ham, salami and cheese, wine, beer, soft drinks, breakfast cereals, jams, fruit and veg. For those looking for true supermarket character there is an Intermarche and a Lidl a little further away - too far to walk, only accessible with a car.

Apropos car - without one you are stuck. There is public transport an taxis but if you want to explore the surrounding areas - you really need a car.

For golf enthusiasts Boavista GC is quite close (within 4km) the course is good but the driving range is a joke, but I much preferred Palmares GC - which is on the other side of town, but worth the trouble. A wonderful 27 hole course, a nice clubhouse with an incredible view over the beach and sea.

It is an apartment-only arrangement. There is no hotel in the strict sense of the word. So if you want to be on your own, this is the place for you. If you want peace and quiet, this is the pace for you. If you are looking for top service and comfort, you may be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Naples, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed in the Club Porto-Mos in August, and it has a lot to offer for a relaxing holiday in the sun. The transfer from Faro airport is about 45 minutes, depending on additional stops. The hotel itself is well-kept with comfortable rooms. I'd recommend a room in Villa 1 as this is closest to the sea and has the best views. There is a big pool outside the restaurant, but every couple of villas has a smaller pool too, very nice for a dip first thing in the morning.

The beach is 1-2 minutes downhill, and even in August it didn't seem over-crowded. Lagos town is about 30-minute walk in, primarily gentle downhill after an initial ascent. There are reasonably-priced restaurants on the way and plenty in the town. You can also book boat trips around the cliffs from Lagos for around €10-12, which I'd certainly recommend, or relax on the very photogenic Donna Ana beach. If you don't fancy the walk back, a taxi is only €5-6. If you walk 30-40 minutes or so in the other direction from the hotel, there is a cliff path (steep in places) to the town of Luz, which also has a lovely beach.

Customer service was also good and the staff were friendly. I would be glad to go back to this hotel, and I would certainly recommend it to and friends or family planning a trip to the Algarve. Cost was around €100 or £85 per night.

Room Tip: Villa 1 has the best sea views and a pool right outside
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is the very first time that I have been abroad and I couldn't of chosen a more beautiful place, The hotel is actually serviced apartments which are cleaned every day. the cleaning is of a high standard.
I recommend villa 1, room 108 which has its own little terrace and a small almost private swimming pool, when you open your curtains you are blown away by the view, it is a full sea view. there is also a path (very rough and unkempt) near apartment 108 to go down to the beach, which is gorgeous and clean (not white sand).
There is a restaurant attached to the complex which offers Breakfast (continental) mostly, snacks and dinner. Tania who works the restaurant is absolutely fantastic and very helpful.
She makes the most amazing Mai - Tai cocktails.
Patricia mans the reception most of the time and she is very friendly, warm and welcoming.
At the front of the restaurant is a big swimming pool with lots of sun loungers, there is a gym, sauna, jacuzzi and spa pool which is free to use, we used it most nights to cleanse our skin.
The centre of town (Centro) is about 15 - 20 minutes walk from the apartment, most of the shops seem to sell all the same things (mostly friendship & leather bracelets). a cab from the apartment to town cost about 5 euro,.
You are better off eating where you see the locals eating instead of tourist places.
We travelled into Sagres and Praia de Ruchia - Sagres is a very small village with not much to see, Ruchia is very touristy with a beach on one side and lots of shops and restaurants on the other side.
I recommend a trip on the boats to the caves - they took my breath away and lasts about 50 - 60 minutes, cost from 10 euro's to 12 euro's.
The weather was amazing but be warned very windy at night.
I would take a travelling kettle and your own pillow.
If you are looking for a quiet holiday away from the hustle and bustle of bars and clubs this is the place to go.

Negatives: no room service, no tea making equipment in the rooms and pillows are very lumpy.

Room Tip: Villa 1 rooms 106 - 109 or 110 - 112 best views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Clube Porto-Mos? Share your experiences!