“Simplicity, value and flavour” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Simplicity, value and flavour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Have been coming here for the last 10 years or so, and never fails - less than €10 for a whole bream or bass and about €5 for a carafe of house white, cannot be bad! This time I was able to share the experience with my mum - who was not only delighted with the food, but wanted to go back every night! You do have to get there early - they open at 6:30 pm and if you aren't there by 7pm expect to wait a good while for a table. (Although they may take reservations now). Don't be afraid to sit with other groups - it's all part of the charm!! I just love it, I hope they never change what they and I'll keep coming back for years to come!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Italy
“Go there for quick service, good food and good prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Just at the end of the main street this restaurant draws in only people who know it. A small entrance will take you in a large dining room that you can easily find full of customers. You'll receive the menu just after you are seated and the order will be taken after few minutes. The dish will reach you after a short wait. A perfect proof of how the job has been planned to satisfy the necessity of customers who are not kept waiting for long. But don't worry: you will never feel rushed. You'll have all the time you need to appreciate their simple cuisine. No one will ask you to leave the table at the end of the meal. I saw many customers who remain at the table after finishing the meal.
The menu has a good choice of fish dishes (mainly grilled) and meat dishes (always grilled) served with side salad. Simple and very good portions which will convince you to come back.
Prices are good (main dishes between 9 and 14 euro) but unfortunately credit cards are not accepted.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Tracie & Wayne in Lagos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My Partner and I were in this lovely restaurant this week. The food was amazing. The staff very friendly. My Partner loves hes steaks... so he had 2 of them...even tho they were huge.
If I ever visit Lagos again... I shall be visiting this restaurant again. Absolutely delicious food.

Dublin, Ireland
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We spent a week in Lagos and we went to have dinner 3 times at A Forja. The food is absolutely amazing. Robalo grelhado is gorgeous. Prices are excellent!

Stirling, Scotland
“Excellent traditional Portuguese restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We only tried this restaurant on a last night in Lagos - regret we didn't hear about it earlier.

We had heard it got very busy so we turned up at 6.35pm and got a table. By 7.15pm it was packed.

I ordered tuna steak and my husband ordered sea bass. I could see the kitchen staff come to get a large tuna from the chiller and take it to the kitchen to cut off a slice. The tuna was absolutely delicious - so fresh. It came with potatoes and salad. My husband also enjoyed his sea bass, although it it did have a lot of bones.

The couple at the next table ordered salmon and lamb chops - also looked very nice and large portions, too.

We ordered a half litre of house white wine for 2 euros 50 - what a bargain! Red and rose were also available.

The desserts were also lovely - we ordered from the "home-made" menu - I had an orange cake and my husband had something that was "typically Algarve" and tasted a bit like gingerbread.

We were lumbered with the excessive "couvert" at the start - bread, butter, a whole cheese and sardine paste - I wasn't quick enough or brave enough to refuse it. I was really getting tired of this by the end of a week of eating in restaurants - but this restaurant wasn't the only one to be pushing it to boost their takings.

The waiting staff were polite and efficient but too busy to be chatty.

If we come back to Lagos we will definitely be making a few return visits here.

• Visited May 2014