“Much more than I expected” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ibis Faro

You added Hotel Ibis Faro to your Saves list
Hotel Ibis Faro
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Antonio Aleixo, 206 | E.N. 125 Pontes de Marchil, Faro 8000-770, Portugal   |
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Faro
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fuengirola, Spain
“Much more than I expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

My Mom and I stayed in this hotel for one night, had breakfast and dinner and checked out next day to go to the Airport. Customer service here is excellent, very helpful and friendly and efficient. Breakfast buffet starts at 4.30am and was fresh and plentiful breads, cereal, cheese, ham, fruit - continental style. Dinner wasnt fabulous but it was okay. The rooms have a satellite television with French, Spanish and Portugeuse language stations, and one English news channel, though you might catch an English movie on one of the foreign language channels. The bathroom needs a mention in that its a shower in the bath but the bath side is very steep and the bath is narrow, could be a hike for someone of low mobility, no non slip mats on the bath floor did make it slippy so watch out for that! Hotel is very close proximity to the Airport and it is set apart from the town with nothing surrounding it, due to the rate per night it may be worth it to stay here and taxi into town or it is a perfect location for an airport transfer. There is free wi-fi in the lobby which is comfortable and easy plus they have a computer you can use to access the internet yourself for free. The wi-fi charges in the room are low 2euro for 30minutes but you have to use the time you buy in one go, no using some time then logging in again. The Hotel has a pet policy you may be interested to note, I saw a doggie this morning. The Hotel has non smoking and smoking floors, rooms are spacious enough, mattress was a bit wiry I noticed but my Mom didnt in her room, so it could vary from room to room, but it was a Queen/King large bed. I did have ants in the first room I was assigned but in 5 minutes I was given another room and no ants there, someone had left a window open I was told. The Hotel has a nice pool area, closed in December but it has a grass area and lounge chairs around it and would be a nice area to lounge before your flight in the warmer months. Overall this is a superior standard budget hotel and I would gladly stay here again and recommend to you.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

I spent a few days here after being offloaded by easy jet as they were overbooked. It wouldn’t have been my first choice but I wasn’t paying and it is very close to the airport and within walking distance (in flat shoes) of lots of shops, restaurants and cinema only 4 euro weekdays and amazing seats.

The pool was closed and there were no sunloungers available. The weather was good but we had to make do with pulling a few chairs together to sit outside.

The food is not good. A dire salad bad, insipid soup, disappointing hot dishes. Best bits are the free nut and snack dispenser at the bar and the morning fresh coffee and juice stations.

All the rooms smell of smoke, there is no view. You are under a flight path and next to a main railway. The heating/air con in the room didn’t work. There is only one English TV channel, BBC News.

The bathtub is so tiny you have to double up to lye in it and I got bruised trying to get out. Although there is a very interesting mirror/hairdryer/heater/shaver/radio combination in the bathroom to entertain you.

There is free internet in the lobby, although it is only one terminal and times out every 15 minutes. There is also free wifi throughout the hotel, ask for the pass code, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

The staff on the whole are friendly and welcoming.

At only 39 euros a night you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Derry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

The rooms are a bit dated,, smelled of smoke(??) but the friendliness of ALL the staff, and pool more than make up for this. It's a bit of the way out of Faro town, you need a car/taxi to get there.
We enjoyed our stay there

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Overall, I was happy with this hotel. The price (49 euros) is reasonable and the rooms were clean and adequate in every way. The main problems were with the restaurant and bar.

The bar: 30 cl of draught beer was advertised at 1.70 euro. I ordered a "large" draught beer (40 cl - not advertised) and it cost 3.50 euro. So the first 30 cl cost 1.70 euro and the last 10 cl cost 1.80 euro? I don't think that's very good.

The restaurant: one of the worst meals I've had in a long time. The "turkey" had more bone and connective tissue than meat - where did they get it from? (Actually, I don't want to know...) With a scattering of potatoes, the whole meal must have cost maybe 50 cents to put together. At the end, the duty manageress (?) asked me: "How was your meal?" I said: "The turkey was not the best." (I was still in a good mood from my short holiday.) She said: "I agree. Try the fish next time..."

The service: in the evening, the place was run by three young women. Only one of them did any work (a small, dark girl, she seemed the most junior and seemed to run the bar and do all the work in the restaurant). Another stood in reception and did nothing. The duty manageress (?) fluttered about doing very little or just doing stupid things (putting bread in the oven??).

I was very hot when I arrived as I'd walked from Faro train station (2.5 km away?). I wanted to swim in the pool but I couldn't as all the sun loungers were either occupied or reserved using towels. To me, this just didn't give a good impression.

Despite assurances from reception when I checked in, I found it very difficult to get a taxi to the airport in the morning.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Stayed here for one night as we had an early flight out of Faro airport and thought this was quite close. Took about 10 mins in a taxi in the morning and we ended up paying more to get in and out of the town the night before to get dinner etc, my advice would be to stay in town as you're only talking a couple minutes more in a cab.

Our room also had a green fly infestation which was rather annoying when trying to sleep, they were just everywhere!

Room was quite old fashioned and dirty and although it said non smoking on the door someone had definitely been smoking in it cause it really did stink.

Pool area was ok, nice pool and plenty of sunbeds.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
The Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

We have just returned from this hotel. Having checked out of our holiday hotel and returned the hire car we found our early morning flight cancelled on the 15th due to the volcano dust. Our son in England checked us into the Ibis as a temporary measure. We actually stayed 7 days. The rooms were small and the decor a little dated but the beds comfortable and very clean. A former occupant had obviously been smoking in the room and the maid made valiant attempts to air the room as much as possible. The public areas were pleasant and clean and the pool area and gardens were delightful. Regarding the staff - I cannot praise them too highly. At a time when many guests were like ourselves stranded they were always helpful, kind and polite. They took the trouble to advise people on where things were in the locality and also on alternative travel arrangements. We could have moved back to one of the resort hotels but enjoyed the walk into explore Faro or the Algarve Forum a large shopping complex nearby. Certainly a pleasant hotel with exceptional staff if you want to explore this area for a few days.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Nordeste
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

Me and my girlfriend stayed in the Ibis Faro Hotel for just one night. You´ll get what you payed for. Considering the price, you can´t expect too much of it. It is located a little far from the city center, but it´s no problem if you have a car. The parking lot is for free.
The breakfast was good enough, but the cleanliess of the rooms seems a little forgotten. There was a strange smell when we arrived, and it seems like the housekeeping didn´t showed up for a while.
Anyway, if you are travelling with a car and don´t gonna stay there many time, I would still recommend it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Ibis Faro? Share your experiences!