“First Time in Faro” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Guest House Sao Filipe

Guest House Sao Filipe
You added Guest House Sao Filipe to your Saves list
Guest House Sao Filipe
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Rua Infante Dom Henrique 55, Faro 8000-363, Portugal   |
Ranked #9 of 21 Faro B&B and Inns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Greenbelt, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I've never seen the point of paying a vast premium for a luxury hotel when you can pay half the price for just as comfortable a sleep, just without the chocolates on your pillow. If you're like me, you'll be happy with the Guest House Sao Filipe. The rooms are small (especially the bathrooms), and I didn't have a view to speak of, but since I was only there for a few hours a day, I didn't care. The main thing is that they were clean, quiet, and comfortable.

The staff was wonderfully helpful when it came to where to shop or where to eat. Like another reviewer, I had the room right next to reception but had no issues with noise.

The location is just a couple of blocks from the train station, an easy trip even if you're hauling luggage. There's a coffee shop right on the corner that serves a wonderful breakfast (a staff recommendation), and one of the best restaurants in the Algarve right around the corner (another staff recommendation). And most of the Faro attractions are within easy walking distance as well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

It is an ok place ..but noway a super guesthouse. Rooms are cold..clean..strong detergant smell but cheap beer available ..

• Stayed February 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

This hotel has one bid dissadvantage, the stairs that one has to climb, very narrow and a struggle with two cases.
Apart form that the hotel was very clean, close to the bus, train and train stations. the night porter was very helpfull and spoke perfect English, I was in room 4.
On the recomendation of the night porter I went to a nearby restraught and was very pleased with the stone baked steak. In the mornign I went to the cafe opposite to the railway station 1.35E for a galio coffee (with Milk) and a pastry. Because of the steep stairs, and my age/knees I wil not stay here again - but I would strongly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

We booked this hotel for one night as our flight got in too late to get the bus to our final destination and it really was one of the worst places I have ever stayed. To be honest Faro itself is a real dump and I wouldn't advise visiting if it can be avoided but the area in which the hotel was located was particularly run down and we felt quite unsafe returning from dinner late at night. Our room was absolutely tiny and the bathroom was even smaller, nothing was very clean, there was really bad mould in the shower and the towels and bed linen had an unpleasant smell. The room we had was right next to reception and the soundproofing was so bad we might as well have been trying to sleep in the corridor. Sleep wasn't something I got a lot of and I was extremely happy when it was time to leave, I wouldn't advise staying here for a holiday and if it wasn't for the fact we literally needed somewhere to sleep for the night we would have left and looked elsewhere. The room cost about £50 which isn't even that cheep, breakfast was not included, credit cards were no accepted. The only plus is that it was only a stones throw away from the bus station.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We were very impressed with this place, everything was so clean and tide! The staffs are very friendly. They have air-condition and television. If I could give them a pontuation I would say 100% perfect!

• Stayed October 2011
Ft. Worth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We just needed an overnight break in a trip from Seville to Lisbon. We were looking for a place close to the bus and train station. Not the best part of town, but it appears the economic downturn has hit the whole city. Not nearly as pretty and inviting as we were expecting but it may have been the area we visited. The hotel is on the second floor with no elevator. Right next to a fish market so the smell coming home late was pretty overpowering. But we had a nice, but very small, room overlooking the street. (no big view there). Older building and facility but worked OK for us for a quick overnight. Very limited dining options in the area, you will have to walk to the downtown (about 5-6 blocks). Breakfast is available at a cafe across the street from the train station (about 2 blocks).

The building is well maintained and the locking front door made us feel much safer but this is not a fancy hotel - just a nice locally owned guest house for budget travelers. I would stay again if I was just staying one night between trains.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Guest House Sao Filipe? Share your experiences!