“Enjoy the experience - you will not be disappointed” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Portuguese, Seafood, Steakhouse, Vegetarian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Heywood
“Enjoy the experience - you will not be disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We came across this place by accident due to our first and second choice of restaurant for Tueday night either full or not open.........and what a great find it was.

The menu is different than the other restaurants around the resort - a bit quirkier - and it certainly grabs your attention.

On our first visit there - and yes we went again on our last night (and we would have visited at least one more time in our 2 weeks there had we discovered it earlier) - I plumped for the starter of poached egg, smoked salmon and asparagus with a delicate buttery "foam" sauce. Whilst the plate was full it was so light and tasty. Perfect - and not something that I would ordinarily have chosen but so glad I did. My main course was lamb chops. Normally there is very little meat on chops but I had 4 large chops with plenty of flesh on there and cooked to perfection. Accompanying this was mashed mint and potato providing a somewhat psychodelic entity on the plate. It didn't look particularly appetising but oh my goodness it was lovely. A home made mint sauce - clear and unlike in the UK - accompanied and complimented the meal.

His choice of starter was the Algarvian Octopus salad - perfectly cooked and chopped up into a fresh salad. This was followed by Sea Bream - filleted and served with sauted mixed veg between the 2 fillets. He can be quite critical if things aren't cooked right but he was more than delighted with it,

My choice on the second visit - and now getting a bit adventurous after finding out how good the food was on the first visit - was a starter of 3 perfectly cooked scallops on a bed of caramalised onion and mango chutney. It just shouldn't have worked nor tasted divine.....but it 100% did, For mains I'm afraid I couldn't get past the lamb chops after how fantastic they had been the first time and I was not left disappointed. My partner's choice on this occasion was steamed mussells with a pepper coulis (massive green lipped variety) followed by braised pork loin - mouth-wateringly good.

Be warned - they are generous portions for both the starters and the main courses. As an additional, unique touch, you are served with a light fruit sorbet in a small glass of sparkling wine in between the two courses. A lovely touch. The unfortunate thing for me was that the sorbet was made from tangerine and I cannot eat oranges etc and therefore my other half had the two of them for us. What a lovely gesture and surprise therefore on our second visit that this had been remembered and whilst everyone else in the restaurant was served with the same sorbet, we were served with a lemon version. Attention to detail is definitely the key to this restaurant and I think this will be its success.

The restaurant was taken over by Sander Rietkerk at the beginning of the year so is just building up its reputation. Sander himself fronts the restaurant with a lady who may well be his wife. You are made to feel welcome immediately and both have a professional but relaxed and friendly manner. We were introduced to the chef and his assistant too and I tried to get som tips on how to do a few of the things but he said he would have to shoot me if he revealed his secrets!

Be warned however that this is not a quick in and out restaurant and the table is yours for the evening and you just need to sit back, relax and know that everything is being cooked fresh to order rather than being pre-prepared and then microwaved. As I have said before, attention ot detail is key and you just need to enjoy the experience of the food and the ambiance.

Don't miss this one.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Special restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

After living in carvoeiro for 13 years, I am happy to say that this restaurant is one of the best I have been to. Wonderfully tasty food and great service. Something very special.

Alcochete, Portugal
“Top quality food and top service at an affordable price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I must say in first place that both me and my girl are meat lovers. We love a well prepared steak with chips, a nice barbecued chicken and everything you get here around. It's the tipical thing... You go into a restaurant and you enjoy your steak or your grilled chicken just as you'd expect it.
This restaurant however tells a different story. It goes beyond your expectations in far so many ways!
To start with you get the owner to pick you up from the street and welcome you into the place. He's a big fellow but that's not what impressed me the most. He's a very friendly person as well - we've actually seen some people declining his welcoming smile and he keeps it all the way so you really really feel invited, even if in some other day.
The owner and his wife are the waiters and they manage well. The restaurant must have about 50-60 seat capacity so you don't ever get to wait for too long to get served.
Then there's the food... What a wonder!
I visited some places around in Carvoeiro as it is a small town cramped up with food parlours and restaurants and believe me when I say this one does make a difference.
Here you don't get that empty plate with a steak and an egg with some rice and chips. Here you'll get the whole lot. You'll get the classy looks, the classy sauces and the cream of the crop meat - even the pork steak feels so much like a beef that one has to marvelled! The decorations on the food are also great, giving it that look that goes very well with the quality. It's a treat!
The other plus is the ambience of the place. It's nice if you go with family, on a romantic dinner or even with friends or alone. Because the people are so friendly you never feel that you don't fit in. Great!
The price is the same as everywhere else around. I would say that it is underpriced for the treatment you get from the moment you walk in until that very last goodbye. That you won't get anywhere around - believe me because I know the Algarve very well - I live here!
Notice that I'm not saying it's cheap. It's average for an above average experience. If you want cheap there are plenty of burger shops around to choose from.
I believe the owner's name is Zander and don't forget to ask him for that special surprise shot at the end of your meal - it's a regional treasure for adults only.

• Visited May 2012