“Wonderful hotel with faultless service” 5 of 5 stars

Monte Santo Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sitio do Mato Serrao, Carvoeiro 8400-599, Portugal   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Carvoeiro
Essex
“Wonderful hotel with faultless service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Have just returned from a wonderful two week stay at this upmarket and distinguished apart-hotel. As previous reviewers have said, the standards of the accommodation and facilities are first class. We had a one bedroom apartment adjacent to the large and impressive clubhouse and it was immaculate throughout. Marble floors, granite work surfaces, jacuzzi bath, dishwashers and washer driers, flat screen TVs and a very good quality sound system with I-Pod dock are just some examples of the high quality fit-out of these properties. Add on the little luxuries like bathrobes, beautiful fluffy towels and beds like giant marshmallows that swallow you up and you get the feeling of the quality of the Monte Santo. In room Wi-fi too for a small daily supplement. Everything is kept in immaculate condition. We loved the big four poster outdoor beds by the pool, which were comfortable and practical. The only downside to this wonderful establishment, is that while the staff and management are expert at what they do, it would be really nice if they would let their personalities shine through. Service from the bar, reception and restaurant is efficient but just lacks a little warmth. Would we go back? You bet!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Monica R, Sales & Marketing Manager at Monte Santo Resort, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thak you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at Monte Santo Resort.

I was thrilled to read that you have enjoyed our accommodations in particularly our one bedroom Suite at the Club House.
Our accommodation is of an excellent quality providing space, comfort with terraces and balconies overlooking to our gardens and pools.

I have noticed that your stay was not totally up to your expectations and that you felt that our service, where we always try to give our very best, was not in line with expectations.Therefore, I sincerely apologise. I will pass on your comments to improve our service efficiently.

Once again, we are very grateful for your positive review in regards to your stay with us and hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back very soon.

Monica Ribeiro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed a 3 night stay at this upmarket, stylish and contemporary resort. Wonderfully appointed 1 bed apartment with open plan kitchen and sitting room plus two bathrooms. Enormous balcony with sun loungers and dining table and chairs overlooking the stunning swimming pool and grounds. The service all round was warm and welcoming. For just less than 100 euros per night we considered it to be great value. We will have no hesitation staying again when next in the Carvoeiro area.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4 in the main hotel. Extremely spacious,beautifully appointed. Enormous terrace ov...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dera Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback following your recent visit.

I am pleased that you enjoyed a comfortable and peaceful time with us at Monte Santo Resort.

We are very proud of our staff and so it is always wonderful to receive such kind feedback as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.
I was thrilled to read you had an enjoyable stay at our one bedroom Suite.
In fact, our apartments and townhouses are a great option. Providing comfort, space and a unique experience at a very short distance from the main building.

Thank you again for your great comments.We hope that you travel plans bring you back again to Monte Santo in the near future.

York UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed here in early September 2013, booked a one bedroom apartment. Our flight was an early one and arrived at mid-day, we were told by the friendly apologetic receptionist our room was not ready, and asked if we wanted to sit around the pool for a couple of hours, and gave us a tour of the main building facilities, half an hour later we were told the room was ready. We were taken to our apartment, which turned out to be a two bedroom house! Which was lovely, clean, had everything you could think of (including Bose sound system) and the bed was amazing. We had pre-ordered basic food from the Deli List by e-mail, which arrived about 10 minutes later. This included a bottle of chilled wine – so after deciding which room we would use and had unpacked, we sat out on our balcony drinking chilled wine, whilst looking out over the hills to the sea and dipping in our own private pool. In the evenings we would walk the 8 – 10 mins walk down the hill into town, we would have pre-dinner drinks in Rascals Bar (the bar staff were lovely, although the menu was a little basic), it’s up a side street overlooking the bay and square, as the main square had live music very night, which we found too noisy to sit and chat. Our favourite Restaurant was the Tia Ilda just next door lovely fresh fish/meat. We would go back in a flash - we had a fantastic stay and highly recommend this Resort

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dera Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience here on TripAdvisor.
I was thrilled to read you found the check-in efficient and will gladly pass on your kind words to our Reception team.
I am gratefull to learn that you had a wonderful stay and felt comfortable, having been particularly impressed with the townhouse and cleanliness of the accommodations.

The deli, Monte Santo's shopping list, is an excellent service since it provides the requested items whilst our staff ensures the quality and that the deli service is delivered moments after guests arrival.

Thank you for your lovely words.
We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Monte Santo again in the near future.

Kind regards,

wigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at monte santo last week, the resort is beautiful. We stayed in a two bedroom suite with our 2 year old daughter, it was spotlessly clean and very spacious. We arrived early and our room wasn't ready, we were able to use the facilities while we waited, but ended up waiting four hours for our room to be ready but we didn't let this spoil our first day. I suggest if you are going to be early take some shorts etc in your hand luggage. The walk into Carvoeiro was very pleasant, it is all down hill, (but uphill on the return, but taxis are only about 5 or 6 euros or you can use the resort shuttle bus depending on what time you return.) The staff at the resort are extremely helpful and friendly.
There are numerous restaurants in Carvoeiro, Martins grill near the beach front is very nice, the seafood cataplana was lovely. If you keep walking up the hill from the taxi rank you will also find some popular restaurants and they are somewhat cheaper than the ones in the centre. The only thing I would recommend for the resort is a bottle of water in the room when you arrive as there are no shops close by to buy provisions and after a long journey on a hot day this would have been very welcome.
We will definately return to the resort we had a fabulous time, and the fact it was our honeymoon made it all the more special.

• Stayed October 2013
Monica R, Sales & Marketing Manager at Monte Santo Resort, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for chosing Monte Santo for such a special occasion, your honeymoon.

I was thrilled to read you had an enjoyable stay with us .
I was particularly grateful for your very kind words in regards to our friendly and helpful staff which I will share with our team with great pleasure.

Your comments regarding the bottle of water on arrival where addressed to be improved in an effective manner.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Monte Santo recently for our 10 year wedding anniversary. I let the hotel know before we travelled and they had a lovely surprise in our room when we arrived.

The room was wonderfully stylish and was well equipped with iPod docking station on the stereo along with DVD player and 2 TVs. I couldn’t figure out if there was wi-fi in the room, I couldn’t access it but wasn’t bothered looking further as I spent so much time outdoor.

Which leads me onto the pool area. There is a large, beautiful and clean pool with plenty of sun loungers. One of the days we opted for the Maldavian sunbed, with fruit platter & sparkling wine (supplementary payment) as it was a special occasion and it was delightfully luxurious. On following days we returned to the regular sun loungers which were really very comfortable too.

We had dinner in the restaurant one night and thought that the menu was limited however the food was very good (I suppose that’s worth bearing in mind if you’re considering any sort of dinner inclusive option). There were plenty of restaurants in the town for the few days that we stayed in Carvoeiro so dining out was a great option (Stone Steak, I think was the name of a place for delicious steaks & great value too).

One other thing worth mentioning is that when we enquired about spa treatments the guy at the reception informed us that the hotel’s therapist had just left and it would be a few days until another one would be on site. We were initially disappointed because the spa was one of the main factors for us in choosing Monte Santo. Anyhow we asked if they could book us into a nearby spa for massages and the concierge was able to arrange for a masseur to come to the Monte Santo for us.

I have had dozens of massages, all over the world, and I can say that the guy they arranged (Philip was his name) gave me one of the most relaxing massage I have ever had, possibly second only to a 3 hour massage in Ubud, Bali. Incredible, thank you Philip and the concierge and Monte Santo staff who arrange this.

Overall, every single one of the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for chosing Monte Santo Resort for such and important event that was your 10th wedding anniversary.
It is always very nice to learn that our guests could enjoy the facilities in particular the Suites and Townhouses that are stylishly furnished with a sophisticated decoration.
I also thank you for your kind words regarding our six outside pools, sun loungers and Maldavian beds.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused when you enquired about our spa services.
I am glad that our concierge was able to find a service that meet your expectaions.
Monte Santo spa service is now working perfectly and provides a range of 22 different treatments to our customers. I hope that on your next visit you may have the opportunity to experience this great service.

Thank you for posting a review regarding your experience at Monte Santo Resort.

We look forward to welcoming you again to our property.

Penzance, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Well something must have been right as this is the first review on here I've ever written! I didn't realise how important previous reviews from other guests were until we arrived late on a Sunday night and thanked all of them for accurately describing the Monte Santo. My wife, our three year old daughter and I stayed from 15th - 25th September this year and had a perfect 10 days. We hired a car through Economy Car Rental, £150 for ten days, this proved useful as we could explore the whole area when we got bored with the pools and pop to the nearest supermarket for another bottle of Vinho Verdi.

On arrival we were informed we had been given a upgrade to a 'Townhouse' which was a wonderful bonus but I suspect we were very lucky as all the children were back at school so the only kids there were like ours, under school age, consequently it was probably only 70% full. Don't worry though, the apartments are equipped to the same level as the townhouses, marble everywhere, granite worktops in the kitchens, flat screen TV's in all bedrooms and sitting room (around a dozen channels including BBC1 & BBC2 which I enjoyed particularly when the weather forecast came on!), ipod dock plus individual controls for various radio stations in every room including the downstairs loo. The townhouses are in 4 blocks, which on the hotel map look further than they are to the main hotel reception but in reality its only a couple of minutes so they didn't feel miles away.

A few people mentioned the cleaning being at odd or inconvenient hours, yes it wasn't at 10.00am every morning but they came every day and if it wasn't convenient they would come back an hour later or whenever suited. Nothing better than nicely cleaned rooms every day and I'm afraid to say it was one reviewer's comment about the fluffy white towels that sold it to us in the first place, I can confirm they are fluffy and white.

Very important was the WiFi on offer, this was available for free in and around the main hotel reception, I think there is also a hard wire option in the rooms but we were offered one of two WiFi options that they provide, €10 allowing one device or €15 for a dongle allowing up to 5, we chose the latter and our daughter can now recite every Charlie & Lola episode.

Each block shares its own pool where as the apartments make use of the very large pool next to the hotel, plenty of sunbeds so none of that reserving with towels crap and a very sweet toddlers pool. Pool towels were available when ever you wanted. All pools were very clean, in fact the whole hotel complex was kept in immaculate condition and just added to the 5* feel. There is also a large indoor pool which again looked very clean.

We booked on a self-catering basis so cannot personally comment on the quality of food in the restaurant but other guests we met seemed to be very happy with the standard. We did use the bar most early evenings, prices about the same as the UK, my wife said the white wine was good. My daughter said the apple juice was very similar to one we have at home, so all good there then.

We ate out a few times whilst there, Carvoeiro is only 15 minutes walk downhill and there are plenty of bars and restaurants to suit all budgets. We ate at the Restaurant Tapas Bar in the main square, Villa Medici, 500m up restaurant hill on the right, Onze, again in the main square and O Pescador in Benagil - all were great and happy to recommend them. Zoomarine was our daughter's favourite day out, book online for a discount and if your children are under 1 metre tall they get in for free.

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome, all the staff were professional and friendly and really helped to make this a truly memorable holiday. Andrea runs the children's club and even though it was quiet, she made sure our daughter had access to the largest toy cupboard ever. Luis and the rest of his team couldn't have been nicer, seriously they know what they are doing, hence my comment in the title. One word of warning however, we noted that some reviewers complained that there was no organised animation/entertainment in the evening, well I'm afraid to say this was the main reason we booked, it was beautifully quiet.

Its going to be difficult going elsewhere now, so I suspect they will be putting up with us again next year. Many thanks!

Room Tip: I don't think it matters what type of accommodation you book, our townhouse was in the third blo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with other travelers reflecting on your recent visit to Monte Santo Resort

Having reviewed your comments, I am pleased to note that our Front Desk and entertainment Team provided a outstanding service and that our accommodations and facilities left such a good impression.
It’s always very nice to learn that our guests were happy with their stay because our main aim is to provide high levels of guest service throughout the Resort.

We look forward to welcoming you back upon your future return to Monte Santo Resort.

Kindes regards,

surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

When I first made the booking the reservation staff were really helpful as I explained that we would be coming with my elderly parents & they suggested the 2 bed suite in the hotel would be better suited than the town houses. The suite was exceptional. It had 2 very large bedrooms with extremely comfortable beds, immaculately clean, very well equipped and had 3 balconies (2 with a view of the pool/resort, and in the distance, the sea). The staff could not do enough for us and we would definitely stay again. Carvoeiro town is a good 15/20 min walk (thankfully downhill) and make take someone younger a shorter time but walking back is not for the faint hearted - we were unable to walk back as the road was too steep. There is however a courtesy bus at certain times into the town, but if you miss it then the hotel will call a local taxis which takes about 5 mins and cost between 5 & 7 euros. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having selected our Resort for your stay in the Algarve.

We are all very pleased to receive such positive comments, and very happy to know that our facilities and Carvoeiro area meet your expectations.

I see you were very impressed with the accommodations.
In fact our two bedroom Suite was the best option for your holiday as they are no steps and as in the Townhouses, providing comfort, space and a unique experience at a very short distance from the main building.
Our shuttle service from and to Carvoeiro runs six times a day and aims to provide the maximum comfort to our clients.

Thank you again for your great comments.

look forward to welcoming you once again to Monte Santo Resort in the near future.

Kind regards,

Sales & Marketing Manager

Been to Monte Santo Resort? Share your experiences!