“Average Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oura-View Beach Club

Save Saved
You added Oura-View Beach Club to your Saves list
Oura-View Beach Club
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Rua Ramalho Ortigao. | (formelry Montechoro Beach Club), Albufeira 8200-911, Portugal   |
Newark
“Average Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

As on most of our trips, we look up 'Trip Advisor' for their 'Reviews'. For some strange reason we could not get in to this hotel. The reviews seemed terrific so we persevered. Eventually we went to Travel Republic and....whoosh...we were in! We traveled on the 2nd June for one week. There now follows my honest opinion about the Oura-View Beach Club:- One of the first reviewers said that it felt like a 3 star hotel - I think that is just right. We asked in advance to be picked up by bus shuttle from the Airport. This was done for 40 euros (return for 2 persons) by Yellow Fish Transfers - absolutely no problems. 'Previously' (as they say on TV) we had asked for a Sea view room - when we arrived at Reception we were told that 'The Computer says NO' - so we were plonked on the 1st floor right above Reception (where arrivals come day & night). We were told that the hotel was completely full - yet we hardly saw anybody.
Unfortunately I was brought up in an London Council Flat. I thought that I had come home!
The corridors were badly under-lit (I am a lighting engineer) and were very long. wide and echo sounding. The rooms were very spacious (unlike a council flat where cats can't swing!) and comfortable (but had seen better days). Beds fine. Plenty of wardrobe space. Now.....the thing to die for was the swimming pool. It was very, very big (lovely) - a bit cold at first. Good Bar-side service. Lovely snacks. We thought it very strange that there was absolutely no Security to stop outsiders from using the pool. We thought it strange (bearing in mind that we hardly saw anybody about) that there were loads of youths using the pool. For curiosity I watched them leave the pool and they went outside the complex and disappeared up the road! While we were having evening 'Aperitifs' on our balcony above the Reception we noticed 4 or 5 cars pull up and park opposite the reception and go in to the pool - 30 minutes later they all came out and drove out of the complex! One of the best places to eat was Vivaldos (the restaurant with thatched roof umbrellas). They give out tickets giving 20% off meals on your next visit. The 'Sister' hotel (Club Praia Da Oura) had a very good Steak Night. Good entertainment. If I go to that area again I will go to that complex - far better atmosphere and something going on every night. The other thing that the area put me off was the so called 'Strip' on the main road above the hotel. This was full of restaurants and full of Hen and Stag parties. A bit rowdy. The 'Follow Me' bus excursions, arranged by the hotel, were first class and thoroughly enjoyable.
I am sorry but I won't be visiting the Oura-View Beach Club again

Room Tip: There doesn't appear to be such a thing as a 'Sea View' room. We went to the roof and co...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Petchey L, Manager at Oura-View Beach Club, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. The pools and facilities in any of our resorts in Albufeira can be used and enjoyed by people staying in any of the three complexes here, perhaps this is what you were seeing. If you did not like the Strip you can either get a taxi or the tourist train or regular bus to the old town (about 5 minutes drive away) which may be more what you were looking for in terms of atmosphere. Our reception staff are well trained and willing to resolve any issues you may have; unfortunately if the complex is full they will not be able to move you. We are glad you enjoyed our beautiful pool and bar-side service. We would be happy to welcome you to Clube Praia da Oura next time.

271 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I booked this resort for two weeks after reading the reviews on trip advisor. What a disappointment. Firstly the resort is officially a three star resort, but never mind, reviews mean everything eh? Our room was large enough but very shabby. We had to pay eighteen euros a week for electricity and water?? I used my timeshare exchange for this holiday and also the reviews from this were excellent. This is the first exchange that did not provide pool towels for guest use. We didn't bring any and were charged five euros for each towel rental. My husband went to use the gym and was told he could have a DISCOUNTED rate of 35 euros for three days use. The very worst thing about it was that the resort must rent out a lot of the rooms to non timeshare young people. We hardly had any sleep. Seriously, these kids were making noise all night long and then sleeping all day. None of the staff were friendly. The breakfasts were quite good though. The resort is situated right at the bottom of the "strip" in Albufeira. Albufeira is not a suitable place for children at all, as most of the town is full of rowdy drunk young people. We all had to agree that this was in fact our worst holiday to date. Sorry

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Petchey L, General Manager at Oura-View Beach Club, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest
We are sorry that you did not have the holiday you imagined. Albufeira does have a lot to offer children with its blue flag beaches, there is an excellent play park next to the stadium, a tourist train that goes all around town which is popular with kids and within our own three sister resorts we have a lot to offer young children from pools and slides to our well run kids club. Our Reception staff are always willing to help resolve any problems you may have. Of course Albufeira accommodates all ages as it is a very popular destination in the summer. We do not offer or advertise free beach towels. We are glad you enjoyed our breakfasts and we hope you book again with us.
bedford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

we were unlucky in our room having asked for a room easily accessible as we both have walking difficulties we were given a room with 12 stone steps - broken as well - to clamber up!! There was mould on wall of wardrobe - from bath/shower next door furniture was dated and not comfortable we did ask to be moved but were told as it was a bank holiday there was not anything else available. reception and cleaning staff were very good. but would not stay again.

Room Tip: some higher floors do not get sun after lunch and can be cold with the wind some have very small bal...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
We are surprised if you requested a ground floor room due to walking difficulties that you were allocated the room you had. You can make special requests before you arrive and we always endeavour to meet those requests particularly if there is a health related issue.
We can only apologize on this occasion if this was not done for you.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have stayed in the Beach Club many times now. The accommodation is excellent the views magnificent the staff helpful and polite. Its a quite location with a back entrance that leads you right onto the Strip. The frontage looks out to the sea and over the truly fantastic swimming pool, if you like pools stay here. This year for the first time we used Yellow Fish Transfers, what a service, a pick up at Faro, luxury ride with helpful knowledgeable driver who took us right to our accommodation without fuss. You pay the first driver the full amount outbound and return and he gives you a bottle of wine. Really terrific service have recommended it to all of my friends and will use again on our return. Beach Club, Yellow Fish the sun the pool... what a combination.

Room Tip: Insist on a sea view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Petchey L, Manager at Oura-View Beach Club, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for your review, your comments are most appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I loved the grounds of this resort, beautiful and well maintained, plus the location on the beach and close to the strip couldn't be better! The unit we had was clean and adequate, however the bed was rather hard and the lighting was too dim in the bathroom. One thing I really did not like was the service. I had a few encounters with staff and they were very accusatory and unhelpful. For example- the vending machine says to insert pounds so that is what I did- but it didn't work nor did it give back the coins. I tried euros after and had same situation. Finally i called the reception and asked them to bring the chips I wanted from another machine (which they did) but they wanted to charge me for the chips! When I explained what happened they rudely said that it wasn't their fault if I put the wrong money in the machine (they said it takes euros). I had to physically go with them to the machine to demonstrate how it didn't work with either euros or pounds and also show them that it says on the machine to insert pound coins. I was astonished at a employee taking such a rude and accusatory stance toward me - and I'm not an idiot I know how to work a vending machine. Secondly, the morning staff in the breakfast buffet are pretty huffy and puffy about getting your ID card (I don't mind giving it to them but is it really that difficult to act nicely). Until they verify the card they treat you like a vandal that shouldn't be in their restaurant. One exception is the fellow working at the pool bar occasionally (name is Nicholas I think?) he was very friendly, courteous and makes a very good sangria. Overall I would stay here again because I loved the area so much and the price was excellent value, but I hope they work on their customer service.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest
Thanks for your positive comments about our hotel and bring to my attention the vending machine issue wish we will be looking at now, we are glad that you have enjoyed your time with us and we will pass on your nice comments to Nicholas.
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

we stayed at these apartments from 15th -22nd may apartments are spotless there is everything you need including ironing board iron and hairdryer, kettle and toaster. i was with my 17 yr old daughter and 7 yr old grandson, even though the weather was awful i still couldnt get him out of the pool and off the pool slides. I did however feel they are very overpriced for a week out of season. I have read other reviews about timeshare touts etc as most of these apartments seem to be timeshare however i was never approached. On the resort its self it is a lovely little resort loads of places to eat and drink however found it quite expensive (i know i have mentioned the price of things a few times but i feel it is important especially if you are travelling as a family on a budget) an example is 40 euros for 2 adult and 1 child meal and 3 glasses of coke so not as cheap as spain etc. and change your money in england the euro is 117 there they are paying only 111 to the pound. There is also and indoor pool that is lovely if the weather is bad outside it is free of charge but you must wear swimming caps do not buy them from the health club they are 6 euros each in the supermarket on site they are 3 euros each

Room Tip: we had room 515 it was on the side of the main building it had a massive balcony with a large table...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Petchey L, General Manager at Oura-View Beach Club, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for the comments on your stay with us in Albufeira. We are happy that you liked our hotel and our customer service. We hope you come and stay again perhaps in one of our other hotels.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Would like to say this is a nice apartment block , simple and clean , it's all you need really.
It's very close to the beach which has some nice restaurants we loved Vivaldos ..
It was summer and we used the beach a lot but we found the sunbeds and Brollys pricey. So bought our own Brollys and used towels . There is a pretty but adventurous cliff walk .
We travelled with friends who had been here before , we used a taxi company they had used before called yellow fishtransfer . I was unfortunate to have a bag left in uk and had to make a report and was worried about the car going without us , the airport lady was so nice she got the driver to wait and assured us it was no problem " just sort yourself out and we will wait for you she said " it was nice not to feel I had caused inconvenience .very courteous service ..
The weather we had was perfect not too hot and not chilly at nights . We didn't need to use the hotel air conditioning at all .
We plan to return here with our friends again as we had a perfect time

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Petchey L, Manager at Oura-View Beach Club, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest, we are glad you had a good time at our hotel and were satisfied with our customer service. We have passed on your comments about the pricing of the brollys to the management team. We hope you book again with us.

Been to Oura-View Beach Club? Share your experiences!