“A comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #118 of 162 hotels in Albufeira
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“A comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

As we had booked holiday at the last minute we were unsure as to what we were going to get.
The good points were: The rooms were really big and the air conditioning worked. The beds were very comfortable and there was ample bedding. The breakfast was amazing - so much choice every day! The Pool was fantastic and thanks to their policy of not reserving sunloungers it was easy to find somewhere to sit. Most of the hotel staff were lovely and happy to help.
On the down side: the rooms looked tired (but let's face it, you aren't there to stay in the hotel room all day). The lifts were a little unpredicable and sometimes only 1 out of the 3 would work. The Wi-Fi was rubbish! you could only get it in the lobby and only in particular areas. You have to pay for some of the facilities they say the have. for example the gym is run by another company but gives discount to hotel guests (Approx £25 per week!). When I had a problem with the gym, they referred me to the hotel and the hotel staff referred me to the gym staff!
In a nutshell - it is not a 4* hotel anymore but it is a nice place to stay. With a bit of work they could make it a fab place to stay!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the pool - you get superb views!

324 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

There are advantages and disadvantages to this hotel albeit I have no complaints.

I knew what to expect from this hotel right from the get go, the biggest clue being £22 per person per night for bed and breakfast. I wanted a cheap holiday and the quality of the hotel was reflected in the price.

The hotel is very big and very basic, understaffed and lacks customer service, however, I really enjoyed my stay there. The rooms are basic too but they are a decent size and cleaned everyday.

The breakfast is a typical standard hotel breakfast, fruit, pastries, cooked breakfast, cereal, coffee etc.

The pool area was very nice, it was very relaxed and clean and we never had a problem getting a sunbed.

My one area of concern was the safety of the balcony. We stayed on 9th floor the drop was very big and the balcony reached my waist. If I would have had children with me I would have asked to be moved.

The hotel had free wifi in the lobby that worked occasionally. The hotel had a very big Moroccan themed hotel bar but I never went inside thus cannot comment on the ambiance or entertainment.

The hotel is situated at the beginning of the strip in the new town, the nearest pub just across from the hotel is Erins Irish bar which is open from dusk till dawn, they serve food and beverage throughout the day. They have live entertainment and it was always busy. There is also a supermarket close by and a couple of smaller shops and cafe bar.

Further down the strip there is alot of lively bars and restaurants. The food in the Italian restaurant was very nice in fact all the food in all the restaurants was very nice.

The old town costs about 10 euro in a taxi but is well worth the trip. There are some nice shops in the old town lovely beach bars, food stalls and restaurants overlooking the beach.

There is also a harbor which again costs 10 euro from hotel in a taxi. All the restaurants overlook the all the moored boats, very romantic and relaxing.

The Portuguese people were very nice and sociable and helpful. I really enjoyed my stay in Portugal and would go back. If I was going to make this my main holiday for the year I would not stay at this hotel but I found it ideal for a cheap deal.

Old sayings are true because they stand the test of time: "you get what you pay for".

Room Tip: The pools with a room view get very hot because that were the sun shines throughout the day, ensure...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
leamington spa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have recently returned from a weeks holiday staying at the hotel and after reading the below comments I felt compelled to write. We had a wonderful stay at the Montechoro Hotel and despite it stating 4* we know all too well that Hotels abroad are often not in keeping with our U.K equivalent ratings however our accommodation exceeded our expectations and the service we received there was very good. We arrived around 10.30am and check in was prompt. We were unfortunately placed in a twin room but my Husband popped to reception, explained it was our Honeymoon and we were immediately upgraded free of charge to a suite which was faultless. It was very spacious with a huge king size bed, built in wardrobes, a spacious bathroom with a large bath and shower and also a lounge space with a second television, sofa's, another adjoining balcony and a hallway. The décor was lovely all throughout and it was very clean and modern. Towels were changed daily and the rooms were serviced with toiletries replenished daily. The bed linen was completely changed twice a week. Reception were very helpful with regard to any queries we had about Restaurants and new areas to visit, they even called a Taxi free of charge for us for when we visited Old Town in the evening. On top of this, as we were celebrating we had champagne and prosecco most evenings and the very attentive barman provided us with ice, a champagne bucket and glasses without any issues. He was lovely and really attentive! The Restaurant staff were equally as attentive despite running a very large military operation at breakfast. I commend their attitude and politeness working in such a busy environment. Considering the large numbers of guests staying at the Hotel I felt that breakfast was well replenished and tables were re laid very quickly. Breakfast was a bit repetitive for me as I am quite fussy. We bought a jar of Nutella one day and had croissants with coffee and bread and fruit. It was all eat as much as you like and you could pop up for something else if you fancied it. My Husband made toasted cheese and tomato sandwiches and had muesli with yogurt etc. It was all very clean with lots available. In the evenings I asked the restaurant staff for some hot water so I could make a lemsip in my room and this was no problem, we borrowed cutlery for a takeaway too. We felt that all of our needs were adhered to during our stay. We paid the 10 euro deposit to hire beach towels for the week. This was fully refundable on our last day. You could get them changed daily if you needed to, although we just kept ours for the week. There were free shuttle buses offered daily to the main town and the old town which we thought was good. The Pool area seemed really nice and clean with loads of sunbeds. We didn't use the pool area often as we preferred venturing to the beach but the atmosphere down there was lovely. During our stay we did the Historical Algarve trip which was good and allowed us to visit new beaches and places of interest. We used the small train to take us to Old Town which was lovely and you can buy a day pass really reasonably. We also used the sightseeing bus and for 13 euros you get a two day pass which was excellent for hopping on and off the bus to visit different beaches. We recommend the beach near the golf resort which has a nature reserve and we saw turtles and pink flamingos there! Was brilliant! Near the hotel we went to a lovely romantic restaurant (I can't recall the name but its at the very top of the strip and has mainly Italian cuisine. The service and food was delightful and we returned during our stay. Overall we had a wonderful time here and will definitely be returning! We thought Portugal had a lot to offer and was very well catered for children and couples. We found that couples were in similar age to us (age 30) and we enjoyed the nightlife and restaurants and culture. Have a wonderful holiday and make sure you visit different beaches as they are fairly close to each other. You can walk along the beach in Albufeira and stumble across more scenic beaches that are quieter. There is decking all along the beach front to enable you to do this. Villamoura is well worth a visit too (40 min bus journey away) It has a beautiful marina and lovely bars to watch the world go by!! Very swish! Sardines are a must whilst you are there and try the local wine as it really is lovely!! Enjoy your stay and thanks to Hotel Montechoro for making our Honeymoon so memorable!

Room Tip: We overlooked the tennis courts so it was peaceful and you could watch the sunset every night. Try a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The truth , the hole truth, and nothing but the truth" . Just return from a one week holiday with my girl freind in what only can be described as massive faltey towers holtel, don,t be fouled by the 4* rateing it is a huge hotel which is disorganised,and still living in 1978 when it was frist built some how still holding on to the 4*s crazy. the bar staff, and reception staff are fantastic,over worked under staffed ,thanks the maximum profit minimum staff atitued by the rich russain owners, who clearly put customer service second, to profits " shame!, The room we had ,was very large with a good view but very dirty ,with sun bleached stained carpits,the bath room are dirty and the attitued of the cleaning staff is (LATER) when u ask them to do anything,to be fare they seem very understaffed as well,one possitive alex the pool man is very helpful and goes out of his way to help u ,if u still have time change hotel do so !.

Room Tip: A view over the pool ,much more peacefull as the frount of the hotel has a loud bar next to it ,make...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had high expectations of this '4-star' hotel, however were very disappointed when we stayed here.
Room:
The rooms were big, my partner and I were told there were no double rooms available and so had to push together the beds in our twin room. There is a safe available, however much to our annoyance we were told we had to pay a deposit of 23 euros in order to use it, including a weekly rate. In our first room our air conditioning did not work and we asked to be moved to another room. The furniture is basic - old and outdated and there were only a couple of plug sockets for us to use and charge our essentials. The bathroom was basic, and had a temperamental shower which did not always turn on or have hot water. There is a hairdryer there but it is slow and looks like it is from the 70s without even a nozzle.

Breakfast:
The breakfast was poor and very basic, being a vegetarian I was limited. The fruit on offer is pineapple rings, apricots, melon (all canned) along with a plate of cheese and ham slices. In terms of fried breakfasts, there was wet scrambled egg and fried eggs, along with beans and fried ham instead of bacon, and canned hot dogs instead of sausages. There was also a potato hash (although my partner saw a large bug in it the first day which put us off!!) and a selection of breads. Tea and coffee was available but of the basic sort, also they never seemed to refill the hot water so you were lucky if you got a full cup. The juice on offer looks like fresh orange juice, but however is actually a run down orange squash. You have the option to toast bread through an old machine which takes a very long time and usually has a very long queue.

WiFi:
Although the hotel states there are WiFi facilities, these are certainly not true. There are no wifi facilities in the hotel rooms, but we were told there is free wifi in the lobby - a load of nonsense as my partner and I tried on multiple occassions to access the internet in the lobby and we never managed to get any signal and it never worked. A huge disappointment as we were unable to keep in touch with family apart from our mobile phones. Many other guests also seemed to be unable to get any connection and the hotel staff didnt care to fix it despite us telling them it wasnt working.

Pool:
The pool area was adequate, there are sun beds and a decent size swimming pool. It can be hard to find sun beds during the day and if the pool gets busy there is not a lot of room to swim. Also there is usually a man patrolling who ensures nobody drinks anything on the poolside that has not been bought from the overpriced bar. Although the pool is not very deep, there is no lifeguard on duty despite the fact most of the people by the pool are children.

Elevators:
The elevators are dodgy and they only have three for the entire 10 floor hotel. They require a lot of maintenance as sometimes the doors do not shut properly and it wont let you press your floor number. Also they do not always rise to the same level of the floor, creating a large step that makes many people trip on exit.

Bad points:
- NOT a 4* hotel, (2 at best)
- poor breakfast
- needs mega refurbishment
- Unhelpful reception staff

Due to the poor facilities and unhelpful reception staff, we will not be staying again at the hotel montechoro

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The hotel was in a good location but it was lonely we were on the 8th floor and shared the hotel with approx 4 other guest in the whole of the hotel... It was a nice hotel and i can imagine that in its day it was one of the best hotels in albufeira. The rooms are brilliant the biggest i have every stayed in lots of wardrobe space ..It is such a shame that this hotel will not be running much longer the rooms and location were great the problem we had with the hotel was it was empty . .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Based on reviews studied before my expectations were not high, we were however impressed with the service received from the moment we arrived.
Polite and attentive staff at reception, large clean room with a great view of the sea and mountains in the distance.
For such such a large hotel it was not at at all noisy though they were kids around the pool area most of the time spent there.
We did 'our rounds' and found quite a lot of social areas around the hotel, mothballed.
Breakfast was adequate but difficult to wake up for after the third day. Give the "orange juice" or "grapefruit something" a miss.
Lots of restaurants just outside the hotel door so there are huge choices if you want a change for something better.
A courtesy minibus operates outside the entrance for trips to the nearest beach and town. Ask at reception for timetable as it is punctual and when full thats it. No second bus for those left behind.
Seems the hotel is being run down as I did not see any improvement in action, so though it is trading on past glory I suspect that wont last last long as there are quite a few good hotels within sight of it. Meanwhile I would recommend it for another year, then i'm afraid the bath towels as they presently are would truly disintigrate during use.

Room Tip: higher floors for better views of the sea and mountains (in the distance)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Montechoro? Share your experiences!