“Fabulous Spa, Relaxing place - missing a few extras though” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa

You added Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa to your Saves list
Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Praia de Santa Eulalia, PO Box 2445, Albufeira 8200-916, Portugal   |
Ranked #19 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tunbridge Wells
“Fabulous Spa, Relaxing place - missing a few extras though”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

I have just returned for a fabulous 6 day holiday at the Grand Real Santa Eulália in Albufeira on the Algarve coast in Portugal. This break to me was all about four things, relaxation, spa time, fitness and shopping. I was successful in my mission!
When I arrived at the Grand Real Santa Eulália the staff were fabulous (I did tell them ahead of time I would be blogging about my stay, so maybe this is why!). I quickly realised that I maybe was the only person staying in the hotel and I think I was for the first two days. It is an amazing 5* Spa Hotel and Resort that oozes a special ambience, it has a great taste for interior design and the spa was simply divine. I think I chose a good time to go – I imagine in the height of summer the atmosphere is more hectic but it was delightful. I felt very relaxed for my whole stay. The upgrade to Sea View room was most appreciated, a full wall of glass looking out to the sea. The room was fabulous, very comfortable bed and a very good bathroom.
I spent a lot of time in the spa. The gym was great if not resembling a goldfish bowl a little but it was quiet so I mostly had the space to myself. There are four outdoor heated swimming pools that due to the weather I didn’t try out but there is also a Thalasso Pool indoors which was a great treat. One hour in there at different Thalasso stations of differing water jets, relaxation areas were fabulous. As well as a lovely sauna and hamman (the biggest steam room I’ve ever been in). The Spa area itself is just a calming sea of blue, white, candle, Moroccan style influences and a very pleasant place to while away the hours. I treated myself to a sports massage which was a pleasurable and painful experience and then a spot of Reiki which was a new concept to me, that I’m still slightly unsure about but it has left me feeling very calm and centred.
I’d recommend this spa to anyone who wants some time to enjoy the sea air, fabulous hotel and some great treats. Its not the cheapest place on earth for a spa session and I do think that as a guest in the winter the hotel should offer at least one free Thalasso session per person per stay (€36 a pop is rather expensive) but there is 15% off treatments between 11am and 4pm every day so that is a great bonus. There is a lovely relaxation area for a cup of fruit tea, glass of water and further time to chill out after treatments and all the staff are very friendly and helpful which added to the experience

Plus points: Great staff, Lovely location, Sea views are amazing, Spa is fabulous
Low points: 5* expensive food and drinks, Only free bottled water on first day, No tea and coffee making facilities in room, No indoor swimming pool for winter months

But generally a 9 out of 10 spa holiday – thanks to the staff at Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort and Hotel Spa for making my little break so fabulous

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Hoteis_Real_Alg, General Manager at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2010
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your detailed review of the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel SPA.

We really appreciate your kind comments and were glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort, especially the Spa facilities and services, and were able to spend an enjoyable and relaxing time as you intended.
We regret that there were some low points though and would like to take this opportunity to inform that, although we do not offer kettles as a standard in the rooms, we do provide them upon request. Regarding the prices for food and beverages, as you mention these are 5 star prices, since we also aim to provide a 5 star service. However, our prices are definitely not exaggerated, being in most cases even lower than the prices for food and drinks charged at other hotels of this standard.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our Resort in the near future and are very pleased to offer you, and any other guest who posts a review of the Grande Real Santa Eulália, special conditions. For further information, please contact amendes@hoteisreal.com.

Grande Real Santa Eulália

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

I stayed at Grande Real with a friend back in June; we wanted a peaceful and relaxing holiday and we really did have what we were looking for!
The hotel is beautiful, it is right on the beach although it is a public beach ( I think in Portugal all beaches are). The Spa is just fantastic and it was hard not to want to spend all day in there...
There a is a wonderful fish restaurant on that beach which you should definitely try; breakfast at the hotel was great.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review of the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel SPA.
We are glad that you have had an enjoyable time at our Resort and that you were satisfied with the service, facilities and especially the Spa and the location. Just to clarify, it is correct that all beaches in Portugal are public, unlike some other countries there are no private beaches in Portugal.

Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

A 5 star hotel with rooms at park level... I couldn't open the window... horrible!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Hoteis_Real_Alg, General Manager at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, November 17, 2009
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.
We regret that you were not satisfied with the view of the room. It is true that some of our rooms face the front of the Hotel, where we also have a small park, but there is really no reason to not open the window, and in fact, we never received similar comment by any other guest before. We understand that you would have probably preferred a sea view room instead, but there is a distinction between Resort View rooms and sea view rooms, that are obviously the most requested rooms, and belong to a different room category. As you might understand it is not possible to offer a complimentary upgrade to every guest. If a sea view is a main criterion for you and you really would like to have one, we recommend booking this room category.
We hope that the rest of our facilities corresponded to your expectations and that we will be able to welcome you back soon.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

We booked this holiday with slight trepidation because of some of the reviews on trip adviser- but we were surprisingly impressed. The hotel is beautifully maintained and has all the facilities you could want. The breakfasts were excellent with a great range of food that was all good quality. We did have some problems with noise in our room, but it was dealt with so well. We were given another bigger room away from any disturbance with profuse apologies. We were later treated to wine and cheese as a further apology and certainly felt like we were in a top rated hotel. It was a reasonable walk from the town centre in the evening and was also within wolking distance to the golf culb. The spa was an added bonus when the weather wasn't quite so good. Would definately go back.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We regret that the experience at our Hotel did not begin as smoothly as you and we would have liked it to be, but we are glad that our team was able to solve the problem in an efficient and satisfactory way.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back for another, hopefully as pleasant, holiday at our Resort.

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

Was there for four days for a meeting. They wanted to put me in a so called villa with living room and kitchenette. As a female solo traveller, I felt very unsafe, with windows and a patio opening onto street level. I requested to be put in the hotel main wing, which they told me was not possible. After I insisted with a manager, I was able to move to the main building, where I felt safer on the second floor. Internet did not work, when 200 of our meeting delegates tried to go online. Food was alright. Wanted to use the indoor pool, which is part of the Spa. Reception said it cost Eur 39.00!! Found it outrageous. Had buffet food from the restaurant for all four days, food was alright, but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our Hotel.
We regret that the stay did not correspond to your expectations, especially due to safety concerns.
Since we have no villas, we assume that you were given initially a Resort Suite. Although some of them have a patio and windows on street level, none of them faces a public street or ground. All Resort Suites are located inside our complex, which has its own security system and guards, and most of our guests feel perfectly safe and, in fact, we never had any security issues before. The group staying in the Hotel and to which you belonged, was a very large group, which occupied almost all our rooms and Resort Suites, and it was therefore not easy to arrange another room in the main building, but we are glad that our management has been able to assist you.
Regarding the charge for the Indoor Pool, as our reception probably explained, we do not have an Indoor Pool. The charge is for the use of our Thalasso Thermal Circuit, which belongs to our Spa and is not a leisure pool, but a therapy, indicated for the treatment of rheumatism, vertebral, respiratory or dermatological problems or depressions, and is therefore charged. The regular price is €39 per use, but we currently have a special offer of €10 for early bookings.
Thank you for alerting about the Internet connection. We are aware that it gets slow, if used by a large number of guests simultaneously, and are pleased to inform you that we will switch soon to a different Internet provider, who is able to offer a better and faster internet access.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

this hotel was in a good location the staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful the room had a great veiw and the pools were nice and plenty of towels i really like the idea of picking up a towel at the pool without having to run arounds and leave a deposit. the manager at the hotel is really hands on and there to help in any way he can was a pleasant stay the breakfast was nice and alway hot in the mornings. and the beds and pillows were great restful holiday thanks to the spa and resort staff

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging comments.
We are very pleased to learn that you have had an enjoyable and relaxing holiday at our Resort and that everything corresponded to your expectations.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Grande Real Santa Eulália soon. Should you require any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Bucks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Real Santa Eulalia with 2 children (age 4 & 6) for a week in August, as a family holiday/honeymoon. We had a 2 bed apartment, which had a bathroom, shower room and large sitting/dining/kitchen area. The room was clean but a bit basic in decor, which was fine with young children.

There was a pool nearby that was fairly small which was great as we could relax and easily keep an eye on the children whilst they swam. The beach was also near and was great for the kids. We borrowed buckets, spades etc from the children's clubhouse.

The kids club was excellent and the hotel open up it's huge, air conditioned conference area for them to use. There were a variety of activities including crafts, games, TV games, films,colouring and even a live parrot show. The children were happy to go in for a few hours in the afternoon and in the evening for an hour or so whilst we finished our meals in peace. We had a babysitter a few times and she was fab.

The food was good and we chose the half board option. Children were welcome and well catered for. Food was expensive though. There was a shop about 5 minutes walk away so we were able to stock up on drinks, water, snacks and ice cream rather than pay hotel prices.

The thalassatherapy pool was free during the day which was another extra for us whilst the children were happy in kids club out of the afternoon sun.

Overall a good holiday, better than expected and would definately consider returning with the children. Would probably avoid school holiday times if returning as a couple though.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind and detailed review of the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel SPA.
We are glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We are also very pleased that you consider returning to our Resort. We receive couples of every age group or solo travellers during the whole year, but, as you mentioned, during the school holidays, most of our guests are families with young children or teenagers. Although it is still possible to enjoy a relaxing time in our Resort, it is obviously not as quiet as outside the school holidays, and if you seek a relaxing, quiet and romantic getaway with your partner, we agree that outside the school holidays would be the best time.

Grande Real Santa Eulália

Been to Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa? Share your experiences!