“Resort and Spa???” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa

You added Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa to your Saves list
Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Praia de Santa Eulalia, PO Box 2445, Albufeira 8200-916, Portugal   |
Ranked #23 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Portugal
“Resort and Spa???”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

Stayed at Grand Real Sta. Eulalia for a week from 27 June to 04 July, reception was swift efficient and friendly. Portuguese as I am ashamed to say that I had to book the hotel through a German tourist operator because not only did I get the reservation 400 euros cheaper I also got a gold card for daily access to the Spa included and breakfast.
First dissapointment was on arrival at the small lovely beach full to the brim with people, worse as a 5* hotel guest I took a chair only to find the hotel did not have chairs for the guests and it would cost me 10 Euros for half day to 14:00 or 15 Euros full day, since it was 11:30 and my intention would be to stay only to 12:30 max (anybody knows from 12 to 16 it is not healthy to sit in the sun) I decided to get up and leave. On my way back I found the only place to clean my feet from the sand was at the pool area, not the beach, not inside the gate that devides the beach from the resort but in the middle of the pools.
It was very nice to find the pools were one salt water 22 degrees celcius and one fresh water pool 28 degrees I believe the same heating system for the indoor pool is used for the 2 outdoor pools nearest the spa because the pool on the far side by the suites measured 17 degrees. My wife asked me for some water and I get charged 4 euros which is an insult for non imported water which just up the street in Modelo supermarket in the fridge same brand and same bottle size costs a mere 0,44 cents yes you got that right. Result- 5* hotel with people passing the lobby with supermarket bags all the time. I guess the hotel just wants to keep all the products for themselves. Dinner at 50-70 Euros a person I ate in the area for 25 Euros bothe of us, half bottle of wine and grilled fish each plate arround 12-14 Euros. steer clear of the Restaurant on the beach called O Pescador, they sell fish at 55-60 Euros per Kilo but they dont weigh the fish so you end up paying 63 Euros without entree or desert where the day before we ate more fish better quality service for only 23 Euros at O Martins just outside the resort. All the restaurants in Sta Eulalia have better service and food at a fraction of the prices. If you like Italian try out Paulus Restaurant on the main road. Ze do Peixe you get all the grilled fish you can eat for 25 euros a person much better.
The hotel has become too polivalent without sectorizing the different profiles so older couples without kids that come to a resort and spa at an average of 1400 Euros a week expect peace and quiet, what do you get ? A hoard of kids screaming and yelling at breakfast, had one right next to us punching his mother on the back while she fed the younger child the father passivley watching and the younger one yelling at the top of his longs upset with what was going on with his elder brother.
The hotel accoustic is at the level of a 1 * hotel, the doors open and shut at all hours which you hear all morning from 06:00 am, your next door neighbour takes a shower you hear it, he talks on the phone you hear it his child cryes you hear it he flushes the toilet you hear it again literally, the mattresses are hard so if you want to sleep in be prepared to get up çatest 08:00 in a foul mood to say the least. You sit by the pool and the warmer pool is invaded by yelling kids jumping in to the pool even though there is a restriction to that effect the parents think it is funny and the staff say nothing so you don´t relax by the pool unless you use it after sun down or 19:00 when parents prepare the brats for dinner. I raised 3 daughters, loved them to bits enjoyed every bit of the way but I avoided 5* resorts because I knew they were better off at apartment complexes it was too expensive and often rooms were too small for kids on the extra beds, now with this new campeighn where the kids dont pay to eat at the buffet til they are six and get to stay for free in the rooms the result is we get no peace. The complex is large so one wing should have parents with small kids, older guests and conference people another wing and parents with teenagers another area. Impractical I am sure so make up your mind what kind of hotel are you 5* Resort and Spa OR family hotel for fun and games.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hoteis_Real_Alg, General Manager at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
Dear guest,

We regret that the stay in our Resort did not correspond to your expectations, especially the clientele of our Resort. As you might be aware of, the summer months, July and August are the traditional family vacation periods, since the children have their school holidays. It is therefore, very difficult to find a Resort in the Algarve with no children, unless they are adult-only Hotels and we consider ourselves to be a child-friendly Resort. We do not feel that we have to decide if we are a “5* Resort and Spa OR family hotel for fun and games” since we do not think that one excludes the other. Obviously we are a Resort and have a Spa, and we believe that families with children also have the right to enjoy a 5 star Holiday. As we mentioned before, we also offer outlets exclusively for adults, as the Le Club restaurant and night club and the Real Spa Thalasso and try to disencourage parents to bring their children to the Bar after 10 p.m. . We also alert our guest to not jump in the pool and to not use inflatables or play ball games, especially in the main pool, and have already alerted our staff to pay more attention to this point. We noted your comment regarding your booking, but would like to remark that the Hotel has special contracts with operators, but has no direct influence on the final price offered by the operator. It is also not responsible for the prices of shades and chairs or lack of showers at the beach, since this area does not belong to the Resort. However, we would like to note that our guests can wash their feet if they wish in the bath rooms next to the Children’s Club, which is close to the gate that leads to the Beach. The restaurant mentioned, the “O Pescador”, does also not belong to the Resort and we have no influence on the prices or quality of food of this restaurant. We also regret that you did not inform us while you were here, that you were not satisfied with the quality of your bed or the noise nuisance, since we would have been able to prepare your bed with mattress padding and move you to another room to reduce the level of noise, although we never before received the feedback that the acoustic isolation would be so poor that you could hear every sound from the adjacent room. Nevertheless, and since the occupation has not been very high, we would have been able to move you to a room with no immediate neighbours and we would like to recommend you, or any other potential guest, reading this to always contact the Duty Manager if you are not satisfied with an aspect of your stay. An Hotel always depends on the customer feedback, and by reporting any negative points, the Hotel will, whenever possible and justifiable, take measures to correct or improve the situation, which in the end will also contribute to provide a more enjoyable guests’ experience.

Yours sincerely

Grande Real Santa Eulália

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
bishopstoke
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

flew out from bournemouth airport on thompsons flight but booked with first choice,bournemouth airport a very good airport.
arrived at hotel and first impressions very good . reception area very impressive and sparkling clean , room was very nice with beautiful view overlooking beach , very peaceful. the carpet had a stain on but when i filled in hotel questionnaire stating this , they sent someone in as soon as we were out of room to clean it and sent complimentary wine and cheese and biscuits , very nice touch .
we had booked half board , buffett breakfast which had everything you could imagine for breakfast , the choice was endless, all lovely .
evening meal was a choice of four restaurants although the italian { the one i was really looking forward to } was not open yet as hotel very quiet at moment , . one was service one down by beach and the other was the buffett one , where you go for breakfasts and the other was up by the top bar.
we went to buffett one most nights , the food is mainly focused on fish , which i do not like but my husband loves , but there is a good selection of other foods .
the drinks are very expensive . beer round by pool area about 5 euros and a sandwich would also be about 5 or 6 euros.
all in all a very nice hotel , very quiet , pool areas nice and hotel spotlessly clean and staff very friendly and cannot do enough for you and we would definetley return .
faro airport very clean and nice .not a lot out of hotel area , there is a complimentary bus that takes you to albuferia, the old town is nice to look round but not much to buy there . very tacky goods but pretty town with some nice bars to sit round.again very clean

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review of our Resort, its facilities and services. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay at our Resort and in Albufeira. We noted that you were not satisfied with the shopping choices in Albufeira and would like to recommend you, if you should return to Albufeira, the Shopping Center in the Guia, which is about 10 to 15 minutes drive from our Hotel.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back and remain at your entire disposal for any information you might require.

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I have just returned from a one week stay at this hotel with my wife and two young children, ages 2 and 4. I thought this was a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location and I would only have a couple of minor negative comments.
Lets start with the positives. The hotel is situated on a lovely beach and there are fantastic views overlooking the sea from the beach bar and fish restaurants. During our stay, there was a good choice of places to eat although we did not try the fish retaurant as our 2 year old is not the type to sit quietly at a table and this did not look like the type of place for him.
We only used the kiddies club a couple of times but the staff seemed very profesional and there seemed to be a good range of activities for the kids.
In general I found the staff extremely friendly and helpful.
The one bedroom apartment was quite spacious and the cleaners left it spotless every day. In fact the hotel iteslf was very clean.

A couple of minor criticisms.
(1) The door handles in our apartment room were low and could be opened by my 2-year old. I expect this is to make the rooms wheelchair accesable, which is fine, but maybe an extra lock for parents higher up would be a good idea.

(2) The shuttle bus into Albeferia only ran 4 times a day. The last one left at 6:20 in the evening. A later bus leaving the hotel and even a pick up back to the hotel at around 9 - 10pm would have been helpful.

(3) There was no evening entertainment in the hotel apart from 2 nights. This resulted in not much of an atmosphere in the hotel in the evenings.

Overall though it is a very nice hotel and I would recommend it for families of young children looking for a relaxing holiday

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Hoteis_Real_Alg, General Manager at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, July 20, 2009
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review of the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel Spa and its services. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and would also like to thank you for your constructive comments. Your suggestion regarding the door handles has been passed on to the responsible department heads and, although we are currently not planning to install further locks in the next couple of months, we will have it in consideration for the future, as well as for the new project of our group, a 5 star Hotel in Olhão, which will open in 2010. We are pleased to inform you that we already have increased the number of our daily shuttle bus transfers by running two additional routes in the evening during the high season. Also, we are offering now 6 evenings with live music instead of the 2 weekly performances we had during the low season.

We hope that despite of this, we will be able to welcome you back to our Resort.

Leics/Notts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

Sometimes I wonder whether people think that they are the only people that matter in a hotel!!!

I have just returned from a 14 night stay and this hotel was excellent. Yes it is used for conference and wedding functions and to me that is part of the appeal, not being full of british holiday makers!

Yes not all of the restaurants were open every night, however there were always two and the reception were always happy to advise of these and make reservations (including where you would like to sit). What would people prefer, when its quiet open them all and be sat in one on your own with no atmosphere!!!

To the gentleman who thinks that children should not go to the fine dining restaurant, how on earth does he expect children to be brought up with correct manners and food experiences, and also do I not deserve to experience this facility because I have a 5 year old son? I am sure that if there was huge dissruption due to an unruly child the wonderful reastuarant manager would handle the situation perfectly. All of the parents I met here made sure that there children were well behaved, as you would expect from a hotel of this standard, however lets not forget, children are children, cut them some slack!!

My daugher is only two so had room service to eat earlier and that was always wonderful, our only issue was that for our children to use the half board basis we had paid for they had to eat with us, which for her was not an option as 7pm is too late. I did speak to the hotel manager (who was present on most days and always happy to oblige), and he explaned that this was because all children under 6 eat free at the hotel when accompanied, so I think more of a fault of the tour operator who did not make this clear in the brochure.

Rant over!! To summarise:

Beach wonderful
Pools wonderful
Pergula Restaurant wonderful
Santa eulalia resturant and ALL staff outstanding and so friendly
Rest of resort wonderful

If you're desperate for a negative like the last few mad reviewers then ok, the beds are too hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind and encouraging comments about the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel SPA. We are very pleased that you and your family have spent an enjoyable and relaxing time with us and really appreciate your feedback and your understanding.
We regret that not everything was perfect, but are pleased to inform you that, further to the feedback received via Tripadvisor and our service questionnaires, we are planning to prepare the beds of approximately 60% of our rooms with foam pads, which will leave the mattress more comfortable, offering an alternative to all our guests who prefer a softer mattress than the one provided.
We will also stay attentive to other possible comments regarding the restaurant opening times for children and, if necessary, will consider opening one of the restaurants earlier. So far, we received almost no feedback concerning this point, probably due to cultural differences, since Portuguese or South European people in general, tend to have dinner later, but should there be a need to change our current times, our restaurant times will be adjusted.
Thank you once again for your feedback and suggestions and we hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our Resort soon.

reading
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

My husband & I stayed at this hotel for 10 days on a half board basis. The hotel is very impressive, overlooking a lovely beach. We had a room with a sea view which was spacious and clean.
Our main disappointment was the restaurants. Only 2 of the 4 were open each evening and it appeared as we the holiday guests came 2nd to business clients and weddings. On 2 occasions the fish restaurant was closed at very short notice, in fact after we had made a booking to eat there. The service and selection of food was minimal and I would question whether on the 1 time the buffet was offered it was worth anywhere near the allocation of 40 euros per person allocated to us for our evening meal. I agree with previous comments that there were no sighting of any managerial staff.

To sum up - a great hotel although not worthy of 5 stars, good location, friendly staff spoilt by conference people in suits using the restaurant and congregating around the pool area smoking. If you want a hotel with a holiday atmosphere this is not the one. Would we return to the Algarve - yes. To this particular hotel - no!

Dear guest,
We regret that you did not enjoy your stay at our Resort. We noted your disappointment in having conference guests in the Resort. Unfortunately, and especially in the current financial climate, we and most of the Hotels, can’t afford to work exclusively with one segment, in particular during the low season. We receive meeting and conference guests almost all year long and usually other guests do not feel disturbed by this, especially considering that conference guests spend most of their time in meetings in our Conference Centre and do therefore not interfere with the operation of our restaurants or other facilities. It might happen occasionally that a group reserves one of our restaurants for a special dinner and if this happens, we always make sure that our individual guests still have enough options available and do therefore not feel that our guests come 2nd. The fact that we had two restaurants opened for dinner had nothing to do with business guests. We have to adapt the number of open outlets to the number of guests in House and if the occupancy is low, we cannot have all our outlets open, like we have them now during the high season. Still, we tried to offer a varied choice by offering a restaurant, a Café-Bar and snacks at our Pool Bar for lunch, two different restaurants for dinner, as well as snacks in the Bar and a 24 hours Room Service and we regret if this selection did not correspond to your
expectations.

Cork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Real Santa Eulalia for 5 nights from June 3rd to June 8th. Overall we had a very enjoyable time but we probably would not return to the hotel for our next holiday to the Algarve.

The hotel itself is very nice, we had a seaview room - room 219 (which had a seaview :-) ), nice little balcony with table and 2 chairs. The room was a decent size and the bathroom was pretty good too. We were very happy with the room.

The hotel has a number of restaurants/cafes - 2 in the hotel and 2 more which are not directly connected but are closer to the beach. We ate in all of them during our stay and it started off badly in the Atlantico Bar where we ordered a toasted chicken sandwich as we'd just arrived off the flight....not sure what kind of chicken it was but it was pretty bad - kind of mush in some sauce - neither of us could finish ours so we left them. We had breakfast in the main restaurant each morning and it was good, large buffet selection - we more or less kept to the fresh fruit and some breads but there were other options for eggs, bacon, sausages, cheeses, ham etc as well as some yoghurts etc so seemed OK to us.

We had dinner in that main restaurant also one evening off the a-la-carte menu and the food was good although I would consider it a little limited in choice. One bad point is the service was not great - we ordered a bottle of water and some wine which were put on a small table a little away from where we were sitting....now this is fine if the waiters are attentive and will refill the glasses as needed but I dont like having to keep asking and when I did stand up to help myself the waiter came over then...in my opinion it would have been better to just leave the water and wine on the table and let us help ourselves or else they need to ensure people are not left sitting with empty glasses as we were. We also ate in the fish restaurant close to the beach (Restaurant Santa Eulalia), the food here was very good and a reservation would be recommended as when we arrived it was full and needed to wait an hour - it also was closed on 2 nights for a private function or wedding while we were there which is not ideal! Similar complaint on the placement of the bottle of wine here...not within reach of us without standing up and waiters not as attentive as they should be! On the final evening we ate in the Pergula restaurant which I guess would be considered the 'fine dining' restaurant of the hotel. The food here was excellent, mainly fish. The prices are expensive enough but the food reflects it. One minor critism I would have is the evening we were there there was another table with a small (maybe 3-4 yrs old) child who was throwing a bit of a tantrum :-), it didnt bother us too much to be honest but I thought it odd to find it at 9pm at night, its not what I expect in the signature restaurant of the hotel. Overall the hotel did appear to be very child friendly and it should be commended for it but I think, maybe this, was taking it a little too far - with dinner costing approx 70+ euro per person, I expected a more calm, relaxing atmosphere.

The pool area of the hotel is excellent, there are plenty of sun loungers, a bar and you get 'towel vouchers' when you check-in so you can get towels by the pool. There was never any issue with getting a free lounger so if this is what you are looking for it was perfect. The hotel is also right on the beach, there is a little private gate operated by your room key which gives you access to the beach and it is very nice, did get busy on the weekend we were there but still recommended.

We used the Spa a few times during our stay and I think I would only rate it as average. One of my disappointments was the fact that there is a charge to use even the sauna or steam room and there is no relaxation room where you can just go and sit out of the sun (unless you are having a treatment). The charge for the Sauna & Steam Room is €12 although I requested to use the indoor pool also and that put the cost to €39. Granted the pool is a sea water pool and has jets and a 'river' but I think €39 is excessive for that - they explained it by saying it was a treatment in itself. One of the reasons we chose this hotel was the fact that it had a Spa and I was looking forward to spending some time in the sauna and pool but at €39 a time I only used it once - its one of the few hotels I found with a charge to use the sauna. My wife had 2 massages and found them to be very good so its not all bad with the Spa! There was also a 15% discount while we were there if you used it between 10 and 5 I think.

Now, one main issue we had was with the location. This may not be an issue for everyone so it is not necessarily a bad thing. However you should be aware that the hotel is located on the outskirts of Albufeira and while its possible to walk to the 'new town' or 'strip' its about 45 - 60 min walk, the old town is further again and is not really in walking distance. We ended up taking taxis to most places or taking the shuttle bus into town but this has a very limited service (4 times per day). If you wish to spend the majority of the time in the hotel and by the beach then the location is not going to be an issue but for us we would have preferred to be able to walk out and find small traditional restaurants in the evening and walk back again rather than spending most of the time in the hotel or having to depend on taxis everywhere. We did walk back one evening from 'The Strip' and parts of the road are pretty quiet.

The other option would be to have a car, we considered this while we were there and enquired at the reception but the prices quoted were rediculously high from Europcar (one day rental of the smallest car - Peugeot 107 I think - was €58 so use some other rental company if hiring a car!). We took a taxi to Villamoura one evening and ate there and found what looked like some very nice hotels by the marina so they will probably be our choice next time and also get a car so we can have some more freedom!

So, overall I would say a good beach hotel and great if you plan on staying within the hotel grounds for most of the time but not ideal if planning on going walking and exploring the old town unless you have your own transport to get to and from there.

BTW one good point which I was impressed with was free WiFi in the rooms - worked well and allowed me to get an important email while there so that was a big positive!

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your kind and detailed review of our facilities and services. We are glad that your overall experience at our Resort was enjoyable, but regret that not everything corresponded to your expectations. We would like to apologize if the service in the restaurants was not as attentive and efficient as we expect it to be and as our service standards demand. Our F&B Manager has been informed and we will do our best to avoid similar situations and increase the quality of our service. As mentioned by you, we are a child friendly hotel and accept children in almost all of our facilities, except at the Spa and the “Le Club”, which, being not only a restaurant but also a night club, is not appropriate for children. Apart from that, children are welcome in all of our outlets, including our signature restaurant Pérgula. We hardly received any negative feedback regarding the presence of children in this restaurant, as most of the children act well-behaved and we made the experience that parents usually intervene straight away if a child should be more active than usual. However, we also want to provide an enjoyable and relaxing dining experience to adults and if any of our guests should feel that a child or another guest is acting inappropriately, please inform our headwaiter or any of our staff, who have been prepared to solve this kind of situations in a discreet way. We would also like to take this opportunity to clarify that, although some guests refer to it as an Indoor Pool, we do not have an Indoor Pool in our Spa. We have a Thalasso Thermal Circuit which is in fact a therapy in itself, recommended for the treatment of rheumatism, vertebral, respiratory or dermatological problems and depressions, amongst others.
Although a lot of people are not aware of the benefits of the Thalasso Therapy, many guests use it specifically for this and we cannot compromise the success of their treatments by allowing our other guests to use the Thalasso pool area for leisure purposes. Even if it might be difficult to understand, we have to make sure that the Thalasso Thermal Circuit and involving area, including Sauna and Turkish Bath, have a quiet and peaceful atmosphere, essential for a successful treatment. This is only possible if the area is not crowded and only used for the intended purposes, which we can only be achieved by charging for these services. We regret that you were not satisfied with the location of the Resort. While it might be a negative point for some, it can be also be a huge advantage, especially if you are seeking for relaxation. Our Resort is only a 5 minutes drive from the Oura and 10 minutes drive from the oldtown of Albufeira, and a 15 minute walk from the first commercial area with lots of restaurants and shops. It is close to all the entertainment Albufeira has to offer, but you can still enjoy a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere, which is usually not the case if staying in the centre of Albufeira, especially during July and August, but of course we comprehend that some guests prefer to stay closer to the hustle and bustle of the center. Therefore we also decided to extend our shuttle bus service during the high season and to offer 2 additional routes in the evening.

Thank you once again for your kind comments and constructive feedback.

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

We recently stayed at this hotel and found facilities very good, but were very disappointed with lack of open restaurants. They would close them withlout notice for private weddings and functions. We expected to be dining in any one of four or five restaurants, but on some occassions only one or two were open. The italian they said would be open friday and saturday never opened. Overall the hotel is very good but is let down by food. Some guests who had paid for half board, found their restaurant closed at night and were given vouchers to eat in other restaurants but these were very expensive and no good for families with children who wanted variety. Very poor for 5 stars, would not go back. Hotel have told me they will have all restaurants open in high season, but that is no good to me

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of our Resort and services. We understand your disappointment in not finding all of our restaurants open, but as we explained before, we have to adapt the number of open outlets to the number of guests in house. And when the occupancy is quite low we cannot afford to have 5 restaurants open simultaneously as we can do it in the high season. However, we try to still offer a satisfying selection of restaurants for guests, for instance by offering different outlets for different meal periods. Although we do not know your exact stay dates, we presume that, as during most of the month of May and June, the Restaurante do Real was open for lunch as well as the Café Bar Atlântico by the beach and the Pool Bar Falésia, and that the Pérgula and Santa Eulália restaurant were open for dinner and that apart from this Room Service was also available as well as snack service in the Bar do Real. We therefore assumed that the selection would still be satisfying and we regret if this was not the case. We also regret if you were not informed about any occasional restaurant closure. We usually announce it in our weekly program where we also inform about the available restaurant, since we always provide an alternative option whenever we have to close one of our restaurants. However, we will check if we can find to find another additional way to keep our guests informed about the restaurant opening schedules.
It is not correct that we gave vouchers to our Half board guests because a restaurant was closed. All our guests with half board receive vouchers upon check-in, as we want to offer flexible dining options by allowing our guests to use different restaurants during their stay and not to restrict them to one restaurant.
We hope that, despite of this, we will be able to welcome you back to the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel SPA.

Grande Real Santa Eulália

Been to Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa? Share your experiences!