“A first 'adult only' holiday that lived up to expectations!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa

You added Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa to your Saves list
Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Praia de Santa Eulalia, PO Box 2445, Albufeira 8200-916, Portugal   |
Ranked #23 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Lisburn, United Kingdom
“A first 'adult only' holiday that lived up to expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I have never written a review before, but because I now use this service as a deciding factor when booking my own holidays, I think that it is important to advise others who are considering particular hotels. Firstly, my partner describes me as 'hard to please', and yes, this is true! However, there was nothing displeasing about this hotel. We stayed in a self-catering studio and were delighted by the cleanliness, space and view from the balcony. The staff were completely professional, yet friendly, at all times. Only two small issues...ants in the bathroom and kitchen area, but rang reception, and it was addressed within five minutes (no sign of the little mites again!). Light on balcony did not work. Did inform reception. It wasn'tdealt with, but no big issue. Enjoyed the cocktails at the bar overlooking the sea, but 'he' complained about the price (just ignored him). Had two treatments in the spa...full body massage was glorious, but disappointed with facial (would advise that when face pack is on (therapist left the room for quite a while), an arm and hand or foot massage would be appropriate considering the price). Absolutely no issues getting a lounger and parasol at the pool. We only used the free shuttle once, and there were no issues. We adore walking, so were happy to do so every day and night into the new town. Intermarche fabulous for some grocery shopping. Very reasonable. Just turn left out of the hotel and walk for 10 minutes. Lovely fresh bread, meats and fruit, which made an exceptional breakfast! Have recommended this hotel to all my friends with children. We will probably stay in the main hotel when we return as we no longer have to consider our 20 year old daughter when we go on holiday!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is the second time I've stayed here with my family. My wife and two kids (6 & 4) are having a great holiday. The issue I think this place has is that it presents itself as a high end luxury 5 star resort when really its a little bit shabby around the edges. The star rating system isn't universal and most are based on facilities, so I guess technically this is 5 star. The problem is that people expect 5 stars to mean perfection or at least very high end luxury. The hotel resort grounds and reception/bars are excellent. our room is a 1 bed apartment and its a bit shabby in places. For example the bedroom smells a bit musty, the chairs outside are fraying, some of the woodwork is broken, our toilet seat was broken, no batteries in the tv remote. To their credit when I told them about the toilet seat and batteries, they sorted it within the day. The service is generally pretty good. The location is amazing right on a large beach with plenty of sun loungers. The pool area by our apartment is great and we've never struggled to get a sun lounger. Only downside to the location is that you need to drive to get anywhere else, unless you you're OK for a 5 mile or round trip. We would be up for that but the kids are a bit too young. The food in the bars is OK but avoid the seafront "fine dining" restaurant. Its over priced, mediocre service and unexciting food. Best tip I have is walk left out of the front gates of the resort and 1 min down the road is Martins. It looks a bit basic, but the food is amazing and really reasonable priced. All in all this place is great and I think reasonable value for money, as along as you don't expect it to be the Ritz by the sea! 6

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hoteis_Real_Alg, Gerente at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are happy that you enjoyed the experience with us.

Unfortunately, your comment shows that your experience was not perfect but we assure you that our team makes all the efforts to provide the best service to our guests.

Thank you so much for your review and we look forward to welcome you again, hopefully soon at Grande Real Santa Eulália Hotel & SPA in order to prove our high quality standards.

Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Stayed here in July 2012 and returned in July 2013
Beautiful hotel, great service, unbeatable location.
Stayed in a nice and spacious apartment with a patio with pool views. Lovely clean room with excellent maid service. The pool bar was great. Breakfasts were lovely. It is right on the beach with a lovely restaurant and snack bar. Albufeiras nicest beach in my opinion. Great range of water activities at the beach, fantastic service and professional photography with jet skiing at €20 pp, pedalo rentals for €15 and ring boats at €15pp.
When I stayed the hotel offered free buses to old town. The hotel is a walkable distance to the strip, also nearby restaurants and a supermarket. I recommend yellow fish transfers to and from the airport, €60 return for two people with great service as opposed to €50 one way in a taxi.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We stayed here in July 2014 beautiful hotel reception 24hrs and very friendly. We went self catering and I can honestly say the apartment had everything you needed. The rooms were cleaned daily with fresh towels.
The hotel had its own gate to the beach which was ideal, however it was a 25 minutes walk in to the town, the hotel did provide a courtesy bus but this only ran every hour, however taxis were very reasonable.
The hotel had 3 large pools all with adequate sun loungers we always got a sun bed.
The only thing that I can say bad about this hotel was on our first night we ate at the hotel restaurant my Husband is a veggie and the food was very limited we spoke to the waiter and he had the chef make him an omelette which I thought was a very nice touch, unfortunatly my meal was not a nice it was cold and tasteless and very expensive for what it was.

Room Tip: Do not let the travel agent talk you in to paying extra for a guaranteed sea view if you go self cat...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the comment and the great opinion about our hotel and our apartments!

It’s very special to us to see that your experience was great and that you enjoyed our hotel service.
We will share your opinion with our departments head in order to analyze the situation described by you. Your comment allows us to improve our service daily.

We hope to be able to welcome you again at Grande Real Santa Eulália Hotel & SPA.

Kind Regards,
Eldwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My partner and I had ten nights at this hotel for his 50th birthday. Everything was top class.
Fab room. fab food. great pools. there is a very strong rule not to leave sunloungers for longer than 30mins so that people can always get a lounger and most of the time it worked. Fantastic staff.
the staff brought a trolly to our room with champagne and a birthday cake for my partners birthday we were overwhelmed with emotion.
We were a bit stuck for entertainment on an evening there wasn't much in the hotel,
It was a FANTASTIC holiday and we hope to go back sometime. we went with JET 2 and would use them again..

Room Tip: we were on the ground level room 123 it was a suite with two bathrooms.two TV`s. Two aircons two wo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hoteis_Real_Alg, Gerente at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the comment.

The biggest compliment that our team can have is your desire to return.

We are very happy that you enjoyed the quality of our food and our rooms. The available and the sympathy of our staff is a permanent characteristic of our staff.

We hope, anxiously, for your new visit at Grande Real Santa Eulália Hotel & Spa.

Best Regards,
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We just got back from staying 10 nights at this hotel for our 1st anniversary, Absolutely beautiful Hotel, just stunning! what a 5 star hotel should be! our room was lovely, had a fridge, good air-con, plenty of room and a great view of the sea & gardens etc. All staff were very helpful and courteous, food and & drink was great too with plenty of restaurants which are part of the hotel, lovely swimming pools and great access to the beach. Its location for me is perfect, not too close to the madness of the new-town and basically has its own beach, 15 mins walk to the new-town where there are loads of bars, nightclubs, restaurants supermarkets, etc. also the old-town is about 15 mins after that and has to be seen its really nice, plenty of stuff to do for the kids here too, they have a lot of activities and a kids club and its great for a couple too. Only 30-40 mins from hotel in a taxi, We used Yellowfishtransfers.com for our transport they were great and for €30 one-way or €60 return, great service really reccommend them, We are already planning another trip to the Algarve and if we can afford it we will defo be staying at this hotel again! Best Holiday ever! Thanks.

Room Tip: Sea View Room is great, although it costs a bit more!
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments so complete and excited! We loved it!

We always look for the small details to make big differences and our main objective is that the customer feels it. Your review transmit precisely what we want our guests to feel.

It is really gratifying to see how enjoyable your stay was and that you were pleased with our service and staff.

Thank you also for your detailed description of our services and facilities, but also our location as well as the services closer. We are sure that these will be greatly appreciated and very helpful for future guests.

Thank you so much for having left your feedback about our Hotel on Tripadvisor and we hope that we will be able to welcome you again for another good time at our Hotel.

scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Id say this is a 4 star hotel - def not 5 star! The rooms are nice enough but a bit dated - air conditioning very efficient. Housekeeping do a brilliant job though!

There are lots of apartments/ rooms in this hotel and they do have 3 different pool areas so generally getting a lounger was easy enough - the pools arent big but my kids at aged 9 and 5 loved them! Not sure they would be big enough if you wanted to do any proper swimming.

Breakfast was chaos - loads of people all jostling for the buffet! They do make omlettes etc but they have one person doing this and queues were long and shambolic. The choice was nice enough but really didnt enjoy the shoving/pushing that so many people do at these buffets.

My main gripe was the reception staff (a younger and older woman) - rude doesnt even come close to describing them! The younger one insisted I didnt have a reservation on the first evening I arrived and shoved my reservation slip back at me 'not this hotel' she said shaking her head! I pointed out the booking was further down the page as we were staying a different hotels - no apolgy just shrugged her shoulders! The shuttle bus is also a joke - sits 27 apparently but they dont tell you it picks up people before it arrives so usually its busy! The queue is long and chaotic and personally for the price of a 7e taxi fare isnt worth the bother! Again rude people shove on before others and we were left not getting on. The older woman at reception was so unpleasant when I asked her about this and if she could get us a taxi - shrugged at bus being full and shoved piece of paper at us with 'taxi reference' on it! Taxi drivers dont even bother to check this and again ignorant couple jumped in our cab - when I asked her about this she shrugged again and said 'I told you to wait outside' (which she didnt!). Those 2 definetly need some lessons in customer service.

The hotel is ok - outlook to the beach is lovely but I think if I was returning to Portugal I wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We sincerely regret that you feel that we do not deserve our 5-star rating, since the feedback we receive is usually extremely positive with many guests praising the helpfulness of our team and our service quality. We regret your experience has been so different but we will pass your comment on to the department heads and assure you that we will continue trying to always provide a high-quality service in all areas and circumstances.

Thank you for having left your feedback.

Jorge Teixeira

Been to Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa? Share your experiences!