“I agree with Wully from Belfast” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Varandas de Albufeira

You added Varandas de Albufeira to your Saves list
Varandas de Albufeira
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua do Indico, Lote 14, Cerro de Alagoa, Albufeira 8200-139, Portugal   |
Ranked #111 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Johnstone, United Kingdom
“I agree with Wully from Belfast”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have got to agree with just about everything Wully K from Belfast says in his review. My husband and I arrived on Christmas Eve and were offered lunch whilst passports were copied etc. As it was nearly 3pm and having been on the road since 8am we should get something to eat. We thought the lack of food was because the "restaurant" was just about to close, little did we know it would never get any better.

Fawlty Towers would be impressed with this "hotel".

Our room was a fair size but several lightbulbs didn't work and speaking to another guest later, he told us that he had no lightbulbs at all and it took the hotel three days to give him the required amount. Professional photographs on the website look really good and show mostly the rear of the property, however our room was at the front and we never had any sunlight and room looked gloomy the whole time we were there.

Petty things started to annoy guests like no teaspoons, no milk for tea/coffee, no orange juice in the morning, no salt shakers that worked, scrambled eggs that looked green, hard baked beans, bread need to go through communal/large toaster at least three times (it finally gave up and new shiny toasters replaced it), however these toasters took an age (5-7 mins to make toast). The food trays took forever to be replaced with fresh food and I couldn't believe when it did finally come out from the kitchen it wasn't warm.

Unlike Wully I never noticed anybody having beer with their breakfast but small glasses were provided at lunchtimes to serve yourself. Wine was from two jugs filled with red or white and loads of fizzy juice (coke etc). One of my dinners consisted of a slice of melon, a slice of pineapple and a buttered roll. Never saw an ice cream (which I love) and dessert consisted of cake, cake or cake. Had to eat out a couple of evenings and went to McDonald's a couple of other times in order to have some sort of sustenance.

I got a bit fed-up hearing "you only get what you paid for", excuse me, people work hard and save for their holiday/break and to expect some decent "hot" food every day is not too much to ask. If any of the restaurant's surrounding this hotel had served anyone the food in the way and condition of this hotel why would you think it was acceptable to pay for.

Entertainment consisted of the TV/Pool room which was next to the toilet (not very pleasant smell on the only occasion I was in the TV room), the main bar, which showed darts and football so "tough" if you didn't like either of these two sports. There are 72 "suites" in this hotel but the bar area only had 22 seats and 2 stools, the terrace consisted of possibly another 20 and as Wully says the tables and chairs around the pool area should have been thrown in the nearest skip so even if only 1 person was occupying the room there were not enough seats for them to sit on if they all decided to come into the bar.

Location of hotel was good as next to shopping mall and only 10 minutes either way to the Old Town or "The Strip".

This review sounds very much like a long whinge/gripe but to think you have booked a 4 star hotel for a pleasant Christmas break, I personally don't believe anyone who has stayed there over this festive period would disagree with my review

Room Tip: If you have the misfortune to have already booked this hotel then ask at reception for a room overlo...
Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Tamworth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Just a short write up about our stay which we enjoyed at Varandas de Albuferia

40 mins from the airport
Off the main road, quiet location 3* not 4*as claimed. Bit dated in places needs revamp. Clean and tidy though.

20 mins walk to the old town. If you go self-catering PLENTY of restaurants to choose from.

10 mins walk from the strip again plenty of bars to choose from

Suitable for couples, not many children there…thankfully

Nice beach but too far away from the hotel unless you are going to make a day of it.

Sightseeing bus stop 5 mins walk from hotel.

Supermarket 5 mins walk away if go self-catering and fast food a plenty again all within walking distance (McDonalds/KFC/Pizza hut)

Reception staffed 24 hours. Free wi fi in reception area only.

Pool – average size pool, VERY cold though, deep at one end…not many umbrellas for shade and the sunbeds are in a bit of disrepair…we found a lot of people had left behind blow up beds, which we laid on instead…pool bar…11- 11 snacks available

Restaurant - breakfast 8-10, lunch 13-1430, dinner 1830-2100– limited choice(only due to the size of hotel) but you never went hungry

Library in room at the back of the restaurant (found by accident) plenty of books to swap if you finish yours.

Staff - most were friendly except the barman not sure of his name pedro i think, he was miserable...think it was something to do us being AI so we didnt tip!!

72 rooms – ours was quite large with 2 twin beds, kitchenette with sink toaster, crockery/cutlery, kettle/fridge/hob, ensuite shower, toilet etc. beds made every day and clen sheets and towels throughout the week

All in all a comfortable stay…the hotel is ideally located but there are a number of steep hills nearby so if you are not good on your legs you may struggle…Although we had no problems at the hotel we did hear that a number of residents had had mobiles and jewellery stolen so I would suggest locking valuables away like we did, but dont let that put you off as i never managed to find out whether they invited the thief by leaving valuables on display

Room Tip: pool view is best as you get a look at the back of another hotel otherwise...we had a view from the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Well where do I start on this hotel from hell, 3 of us stayed here for 5 days over xmas & we have never been in worse in our lives, 4 star??? not even close to a 1 star Blackpool B&B...When we got there around lunch time we were told that we could have lunch in the restaurant from a menu, I have never been served worse anywhere in my life & Iv eaten In a lot of places, my wife ordered fish & chips which came with 2 pieces of processed fish in batter that you would find in the value section of your local super market, I had pork (well that's what I think it was) yet again never had worse, our friend had a tuna salad which was terrible also, & all food was cold, & this was prob the best meal we had ... that can tell you what the rest were like, All meals had just 1 meat option & 1 fish option, both terrible & cold, I couldn't eat at all in the hotel, so opted for local restaurants once a day to get me over the 5 days..The hotel only opened on the day we got there, after a refurb, what a joke, the bar & games room (pool table room) were full of ripped tatty seats, outside area had a seated area with wicker seats & tables, poolside had dirty old plastic tables & chairs only fit for the skip.. Our room was ok but only 2 star ok not the 4 that the hotel is meant to be, would have been ok for a real cheap SC holiday nothing else..The staff in the hotel were all in all friendly apart from 1 male receptionist (dark haired thin guy) very ill mannered & no people skills at all, barman Pedro was great, as was the other girl on reception, I think in total this hotel is run by 6 staff & that includes the cleaners...While we were there, another couple who were there for 2 weeks left to go home after 3 days to seek legal advice over being sold their holiday, another group of 6 or 7 people paid £100 each to get moved to another hotel. Really this hotel attracted mostly the type of people who wanted to spend their whole day in the bar, some complaining that they couldnt get served spirits at 11am, bar states no spirits till 2pm, also people drinking beer with their breakfast, I couldn't believe that that's how most of them wanted to spend their holiday...
If you are thinking of booking this hotel, & you aren't the type that wants to spend all day & night drinking & not eating this is the hotel for you, but if like us you're not, please please book anywhere else, Id rather stay in a tent on the beach than stay in this abysmal excuse for a hotel (more like a hostel for the homeless)
If you think I'm just a moaner, please check my other reviews as I try to give nothing but fair & truthful reviews..

Room Tip: Pick one at any other hotel possible!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Banbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Good points (as everyone starts with moaning)
Fantastic location 10-15 mins walk from old town and the same to the strip, clean pool area, comfy beds, plenty of uk tv stations.
Bad points, more of a 3 star as beginning to look quite tatty, reception staff very rude ( apart from the lady -who was lovely) even tho your AI your limited to water as we had to buy our own water for the room..-bar didn't open until 10/11am, restaurant food was dire, very samey and usually needed the help of the microwave, no kids or veggie options either, thank god for the snack bar in the afternoon (pool bar) but.... We only paid 350 for 9 nights all inclusive ( that price included all our flights bags and transfers) so I would say its a budget bargain!!!

• Stayed October 2013
leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

small but friendly hotel, the room was clean and only had 2 single beds in, we had grandson in with us so I went to the reception and asked for a spare bed which arrived 10 mins later, it was probably only suitable for a child, breakfast was good rest of food was average, icecream was good choice of 3 flavours not like some all incs where you get pots of vanilla. there was a nice area where you could sit in comfortable chairs and relax near pool, drinks were plentiful, afternoon snacks were very good and for a small extra charge you could upgrade snack to a good meal, staff were hard working and cheerful, nice location halfway between strip and old town, on the day before we left grandson (dexter) lost his soft toy he never took it out of room so on the morning we left I asked at reception if it had turned up in laundry 30 mins later it turned up all nice and clean.

Room Tip: we had 2 rooms at the back of the hotel which were nice they had pool view and sun all day, rooms at...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I booked 5 night stay first time in Portugal for a quick cheap break as my wife was 50 while we was away sort of a last minute thing as it would of cost the same for a couple of nights in London and a show and train travel return so with it been so cold here I thought a bit of sun would be welcome and cheaper for us . When we got if the plane the transfer was a pain in the .... Trying to speak to 1 woman with a plane load of people in front and behind was too much , we arrived 7ish at hotel nice room very pleasant , food was ok I've had worse remembering how much I had paid , didn't swim in the pool look like it hasn't been cleaned for a while plus it was so cold in the water and the seagulls would plop in it from time to time not nice , bar staff was ok Estrella larger ok too yeh place needed a few jobs but to be fair overall we was happy , old town was great for a stroll and a beer and the strip ( new town ) was fab too especially lick it great staff probably wouldn't attempt it in the summertime prob full of young drinkers , if you fly with monarch they don't sell cigarettes on the small flight

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
newport
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

went all inclusive to this hotel expecting 4 star service, how disappointed can one be.i would rate it at 2 being generous, the food was very poor hardly any choice chips every meal, deserts a joke very often waited for cutlery bar furniture ripped, i will say the rooms were of a nice size go to the hotel next down and see what a 4 star looks like

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Varandas de Albufeira? Share your experiences!