“Good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Colina do Mar Residencial

You added Colina do Mar Residencial to your Saves list
Colina do Mar Residencial
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Maria Teresa Semedo Azevedo, 3, Albufeira 8200-155, Portugal   |
Ranked #98 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel is basic but clean there are not many staff and they work long hours short walk down a steep hill into the old town max 5 minutes its a shame that the surrounding area has buildings completed but not in use. Even though this hotel is close to town centre there was very little noise. Great resteraunt at the bottom of the street on right hand corner T-Bone steak only 12 euros very busy which is a good sign.

Room Tip: Request a room on upper floors they are larger
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

After reading several reviews on this site I wondered what I had let my self in for. But I can honestly say I have been plesantly surprised. The staff are very friendly and helpful with good English rooms are clean and the bedding has been changed daily. The rooftop pool isn't overly big. The hotel is located 150m from the centre of old town and 200m from the beach my only negative is the gradient of the hill it is situated on if this is not a problem to you then overall a great little hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My Fiancee and I stayed here for a week at the end of June.

The location is great if you arent hiring a car. It is literally a stones throw from Albufeira town, as long as you dont mind a hill and some stairs then its perfect.

Love Albufeira, but it is getting more and more commercial which I was slightly disappointed with on this visit.

The hotel... it is basic. We knew this when we booked but it was very middle of the road verging on poor. When we arrived our double room was a decent size, but it had a funny smell. Our bedclothes smelt like they hadnt been changed from the previous guest and it smelt as though they may have been sweated on by a middle aged man!
We addressed this with the staff and they did change the bedding for us. It was definitely an improvement but they smelt musty and we generally just slept on the sheet.

The breakfasts left little to be desired. They were included in the price but were very basic. The only thing we were really keen on was the waffles with honey which you can toast yourself but they only served them on 3 days. There is cereal to choose from aswell as some bread with butter and jam. We didnt expect a cooked breakfast but we wasnt overly impressed with the selection.

We only saw three members of staff whilst we were there, they seem to rotate between reception desk and breakfast duties. They were relatively friendly and answered questions when asked.

The weather was fantastic and Portugal is a really lovely place to go.
Highly higly highly recommend 'Dolphins Driven', boat can be picked up from Albufeira harbour. Was out for 2 and half hours saw tons of dolphins right next to the boat before then exploring the caves close by. Not a gentle mosey by any means - prepare to get thrown around and if your at the front extremely wet. Brilliant experience would happily go again.

Overall, lovely holiday but the 3 stars which I have given the hotel is mainly for the location. The hotel is overall is outdated, extremely basic and a little shabby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the third time and although we knew what to expect with regards to it being a very basic hotel I was rather annoyed that for returning guests we were treated very indifferently by staff that have been there for years and knew us. There is now a tray in the room with cups, saucers and a kettle (previously there was none) but surprise surprise there was no tea, coffee etc provided as you would expect and which is provided in most establishments these days. On one occasion I asked at Reception if there was any ice that I could get for my juice that was rather warm and was told 'no'. No effort to source any and not the least bit interested to say the least. The only wifi connection is in the Reception area which is not very inviting and crowded with people trying to get internet access. We always go to Albufeira in May and the bar/pool room in the hotel is never open! I am not saying I wouldn't stay here again but to be honest we are looking at other hotels in the old town for next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

First of all I must start by saying that I always read the reviews on trip adviser before I book anywhere these days. I read them, and then I ignore the bad ones! Why? Because I am of the opinion, proved thus far, that most people who write reviews are the people who like to have a good moan! Hopefully I then prove the exception to the rule.
We have a time share in Albufeira and generally speaking after our week is up we fly home on the most expensive flight going because you have to check out on a Saturday, so this year I decided to book a cheaper flight in the week and find somewhere to stay for the extra two days. What a find this hotel was - really cheap - cheaper for three of us to stay two nights than to pay the extra to flay home on a saturday, right next to the bustling square in the Old Town, with a pool and breakfast thrown in...what more could you want? The staff are really friendly and they DO speak English. As for the key situation I would rather leave my key with the hotel than lose it so I dont see this as a problem - if something were to go missing I dont think there'd be much doubt who had taken it lol so not sure why this poses a problem for anyone?? They make it quite clear that if you are not early for breakfast then you will be disappointed and I cant say I blame them really. The room was large, dated but comfortable, they had already provided my daughters extra bed by the time we arrived, no waiting for them to get organised. The pool was clean and not cold as some people have moaned. there is a slight smell of drains generally but then there is all over Portugal - its their drainage generally - get over it people! You can hear the occasional person return to the hotel in the early hours but its not a party hotel and in my experience you get this everywhere - I dare say people heard us leaving at 4am on our flight morning! Clean, friendly, cheap, nice pool, nice people - we will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located just 3-5 minutes walking from the beach, the Old Town Square with all the restaurants and live music venues and the bar and shopping streets. Nevertheless it is very quiet and you won't be bothered by the music banging at night.

The rooms are quite clean but very basic, and the bathroom facilities were quite old. The breakfast was good for a three star hotel.

The main drawbacks of the hotel are the room key system (you have to leave the key at the reception every time you leave) and the fact that the wifi only
works in the lobby, so the small sofa and armchair downstairs are almost always occupied by guests checking their mail.

The stuff were not so helpful when it came to explaining things about the city, and sometimes plain
rude. We had friends staying at the opposite end of the town, and when we walked to our hotel together and asked to call the taxi for them, they were almost literally pushed out of the lobby and had to wait for the car outside (the comment was that they had not paid for the room at the hotel). I also saw young boys from the hotel sneaking girls in, because no visitors were allowed, so all in all you felt like a school child, who can't come or leave without
reporting to parents.

• Stayed July 2013
Meath
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

For the money you pay this hotel is in a great location, very close to the beach and the centre of the town but tucked away enough that you don't hear the noise of the shops and bars.
For those with mobility problems, it is situated in the middle of a short, steep hill so may be a problem. Otherwise it's fine.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. There are only a few and they work around the clock!
As with all cheap hotels, don't expect anything special. The breakfast has a decent enough selection but you need to get down early as food is not replenished.
Be warned the walls are paper thin! (If you are a light sleeper it can be annoying)

The one thing we were really not happy with was the housekeeping. Our sheets were changed only once in the fortnight we were there. Towels were not changed at all the first week and then sporadically the second. Apart from the bathroom floor, the room was not cleaned. We understand there was a laundry problem but that doesn't excuse the rest!

All in all, it's not a bad hotel. If housekeeping was improved it would be worth the money and if you plan to be out and about all day its perfect for somewhere just to put your head down.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Colina do Mar Residencial? Share your experiences!