“A jewel in the Algarve” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
London, England, United Kingdom
“A jewel in the Algarve”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A very special and unique small hotel. A memorable stay : the finest food (and loved the invite from the Manager for cocktails in the kitchen before dinner), stunning setting and beach, lovely homely informal public rooms with attentive and helpful staff. A wonderful place.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

More than a 5* hotel, Vila Joya's atmosphere makes it feel like an unique and an one of a kind experience. For the ones who are looking for peacefulness and to forget about the world itself, this is the place. From the welcoming tour with a beautiful champagne glass over the Atlantic, a beautiful beach with very difficult access for anyone not from Vila Joya, to beautiful suites and a restaurant that we won't ever forget. A real celebration of food as we have never seen before. Altogether, it made the 2 nights we spent there absolutely unforgettable and a destination to remember for the future.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Travelled as a couple in may/june for his birthday. We stayed 7 nights.
As soon as you arrive you know how special this place is, the staff are excellent. Check in wasn't the quickest but nothing to complain about.

Room - This is the reason why this place is not getting 5 stars from me. I was very disappointed with my room. I have never stayed in such a room in any 4 or 5 star hotel and when I made this known to reception staff, she told me I was upgraded. I cannot imagine this hotel having a room worse than this. Small, tired and needs a complete revamp. Very bland, badly lit, dark & old bathroom with plumbing issues. For the price, one would expect much better. I did not enjoy being in the room. Only bright spot was the terrace.

So it was an absolute delight to discover the restaurant, pool and beach area. Spent minimal time in the room and most of my time exploring the grounds, sitting by the pool, walking on the beautiful beach and eating the AMAZING food.

The pool setting is stunning, the trees provide shade and you feel like you are in a rich friends house not a hotel. One forgets time in this place. The grounds & gardens are well kept, the staff attentive to your needs.

Breakfast was good. A nice selection set out while hot meals can be ordered. Most days I had lunch by the pool and it was excellent.
Now, this hotel is famous for the items that come out of that kitchen. From simple salads for lunch to 12 course dinners, every bite was a wow moment.

If you stay somewhere else in the area, please do yourself a treat and eat here at least once. It is an experience. Your taste buds will never be the same.
The wine selection is great. For his birthday I booked dinner at the chefs table. The staff were simply AMAZING! The experience was unforgettable, the presentation was impeccable & the food (all 12 courses) like nothing I have ever tasted. Chef Dieter is an artist of course, and we were truly blown away. They made my other half a cake. Big thank you to the kitchen staff.

I cannot wait to visit again (with a better room). The spa is highly recommended. I cannot say enough about the staff of this wonderful place.

Room Tip: Go for the more expensive rooms as I assume it'll be much better than what we had. Be sure to ge...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

What can I say about this wonderful place have being here over 12 times and we just love the place it's so special and we bring our twins we love the food best ever and the service is so friendly we really enjoy staying here and the setting is pardise thank u to all the staff and see u all soon amazing food wine and service !!

Room Tip: Lower ground are best
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed in Gale and spent an afternoon at the Spa in Vila joya, i would recommend this to everyone, steam bath, sauna and massage were fantastic, if you stay in Gale then you must give this a go. The pool was peaceful with great views of the ocean, go on treat your self

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Beware of the room you have booked. I booked a room for my 20 year anniversary (The Terrace) I called just to ask if we had the ground floor which I was very happy to hear we had. I then asked another question and the lovely lady from reservations informed me that this room wasn't refurbished. I said that I knew the room had been but not the bathroom she then explained that it was not the four poster bed and a round one instead. She quickly said she would send me photos. OMG I was shocked and confused this wasn't the photo that was on their website at all. I was going to be spending 2500. For three nights for a room I wouldn't have never stayed in, even if it was offered to me for free. She then sent me a photo of a Dulex room that had been refurbished , but it was so small dark and if you were sitting on the chairs on your balcony you wouldn't be able to see your sea view over the wall. I am thankful that I found out well before I arrived as my 20 year anniversary would have been unforgettable, but for all the wrong reasons. Only book the suits and if you do book the terrace room make sure it has been reburbished or your holiday will be ruined.

Room Tip: Only pick suits!!! Ask for photos of your room before you travel. Not all of them look like the web...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

We just arrived with two little children. They even arranged a bottle of hot Milk For our youngest one. Very Nice room and staff and stunning views. All seems very Nice! Will give a review the next coming days. We Will stay here For one week. We keep you posted.

Stayed May 2014

Been to Vila Joya? Share your experiences!