“Lovely hotel, excellent break!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rocamar Hotels & Resorts

You added Rocamar Hotels & Resorts to your Saves list
Rocamar Hotels & Resorts
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Largo Jacinlo d'Ayet, Albufeira 8200-071, Portugal (Formerly Hotel Rocamar)   |
Ranked #36 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
Aberdeenshire
“Lovely hotel, excellent break!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2008

The Hotel Rocamar has recently been refurbished and we found the communal areas and the bedrooms to be of a high standard.

We paid extra for a sea view room and it was well worth it. A really incredible view over the sea, especially at sunset. Even in October, the air conditioning was a blessing.

Bedrooms were more than adequate and were well equipped for our stay. Maid service was often and to a high standard.

We stayed on a B&B basis and were happy with the selections available - cooked breakfast and continental. The restuarant manager did his best to keep things organised and to ensure everything ran smoothly. We often had lunch at the restaurant and whilst basic, there was nothing wrong with the food at all and the waiters were very friendly.

The hotel is right on the beach, which is clean and was not at all busy in October. The waves can be a little strong though.

Albufeira old town itself is a pleasant resort, with many shops, bars and restaurants serving a good variety of food. The only thing I would warn others about is the number of people who approached us offering us drugs. This could be because we are a young couple in our 20's but we were still pretty shocked. If you ignore them they do leave you alone but this happened to us several times every night and did get very irritating.

The same happened on an even greater scale when we visited Lisbon. We had literally just stepped off the bus and were accosted by someone trying to sell them. But please don't let this put you off what is a lovely resort and a lovely hotel, I felt I should mention it just to warn people to be a bit on their guard.

Other than that, we had no complaints whatsoever and would wholeheartedly recommend the Rocamar!

• Liked — The views!
  • Disliked — Couldn't fault it
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Polish first
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

After having checked out the reviews on Trip adviosr and First Choice's online info I booked this hotel as a Spring break for my husband & myself.

I was expecting a quiet, chic, adult oriented, chill out escape. This is not what we experienced!

I can whole heartedly back up what others have said about the hotel reception staff.......they are the rudest we have ever come across on our worldwide travels. Especially the female members.

We arrived at the Rocamar at around 10.40am, after around an hours flight delay from the UK. We were told by a very miserable girl on reception that our room wasn't ready and we had to wait until at least 12pm. There was no apology for the room not being ready & no offer of refreshment or suggestion of what to do until it was!

Believe me we have stayed in hotels ranging from 2-5 star over the years and all but one has offered us a welcome drink when we arrived!

However, when the room was ready shortly after 12pm we were pleasantly surprised by the size of the accommodation.

Huge bedroom with a very large built in wardrobe, a huge bath room along with a good sized private balcony. We did not opt for a seaview room believing we would see enough of this from the pool.

In my opinion you did have the excellent seaviews from the front facing rooms but the balconies were small and not very private. Some of them even fronted onto the sundecks around the pool and had to be shared with people using these areas!!

The pool area was lovely and the location of the Hotel afforded it stunning views of the sea, beach & old town.

Please note however in the 10 days we stayed at the Rocamar the pool and sundeck areas were only cleaned twice. When the pool closed each day @ 7pm the deck chairs were not re-arranged, the pool not cleaned and the walking areas not hosed down. Again this is something I have only ever seen at 1 other hotel which could be forgiven as it was only a 2 star run by an elderly lady!

I would have expected a hotel of this standard to clean the pool and surrounding areas every day. In fact there are even cobwebs hanging of the lighting & glass panels that look like they have been there for some time.

The restaurant & food was rather disappointing. To start with the size of the restaurant in comparison to the number of rooms/people is far too small.

There was only 1 table set up for 2, all the other tables were grouped together for 4 or 6 to share. No opportunity for a romantic meal here with your partner!!!!

This hotel is very German orientated which did make for rather amusing meal times. I've seen them reserve beds or deckchairs before but never reserve or be allowed to reserve tables for each other in restaurants! Even to the extent if someone was sat at their favourite table they would stand and wait until they had finished.

They would also queue outside the restaurant at opening times, 8am in the morning for breakfast & 7pm for the evening meal. The consequence of this being that if you arrived 5 minutes after forget it as you would have to wait up to 45 mins until a table became free. In fairness to the restaurant staff they would try there best to avoid this happening but it was very much out of their control.

The meals themselves were below average. Yes a good selection at each sitting but the same thing for breakfast everyday, although that said you never got german sausage & bacon at breakfast each day they were rotated!!!!

The food was at best lukewarm which would explain the microwave in the restaurant that both my husband & myself had to put to good use on numerous occasions, including to heat the soup at evening meal times.

My advice only stop at this hotel on a B & B basis, as not worth staying half board due to the numerous restaurants within the vicinity.

Albufeira is a very busy, thriving town with a vast quantity of restaurants and bars. A consequence of this though is that everyone is fighting for your business.

Each time you draw level with a restaurant or bar you are pestered constantly to go in. The looky, looky men are mild compared to this lot!

I don't know about you but when I am out for an evening stroll with my husband the last thing I want is someone waving a menu in my face and not giving up even when you've said no thank you?

The way to beat this is to avoid the square and follow the route that runs parallel with the beach, that way you can walk and chat in peace.

Please note that the hotel bar closes at 12 midnight every night and with this the doors onto the promanade are locked, which means you have to walk around to the front to gain access.

Please also be wary of the youngest barman as he has a tendancy to over charge on the drinks & a different price each round. This we experienced on our last night.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Reception staff, quality of food, evening entertainment
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2008

We booked this hotel from using the other reviews on Tripadvisor, and while we got a great deal, the front desk clerk when we checked in soured our view. He asked for our print out of our confirmation, and we had mistakenly left it in our last hotel and he demanded that we have it before checking in or else they would not be paid. My boyfriend and I have stayed in lots of hotels over the years, and while it may be preferrable to have it, it has never been mandatory. I was shaking my head in the direction of my boyfriend, and the clerk asked if I had a problem! I was not talking to him nor was I having a private conversation with my boyfriend of how ridiculous this was. It was like he was starting a fight with us. We spent the rest of the night walking around furiously trying to find a computer with a printer to get it for him, which ruined our first night there. We couldn't find one, and the next day the new clerk said nothing to us, and there was no issue with not having it. It was just the first clerk being hardheaded.
Other than that issue we did enjoy the hotel for the price. It was a typical beach hotel, and the view was nice overlooking the beach. Our taxi driver said that it has just been newly renovated, and was easy to get to even if it was at the top of the hotel. Overall I would say that if the first front desk clerk hadn't been rude, we would have given this hotel a better rating.

• Liked — beach view
  • Disliked — front desk service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

We have just returned from a weeks stay at the Hotel Rocamar and cannot fault it. We stayed half board and both the breakfasts and dinners were excellent, with a great variety of meals to choose from. The service was also brilliant, with the staff going out of their way to help us on a couple of occasions.It is in a nice spot over looking the sea and beach with some excellent views. Its just a two minute walk in to the old town square,also handy is the bus station which is just out side the old town wich we used to have some nice days out,so all in all a really nice holiday and we will be going back

Stayed April 2008
Herts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Rocamar Beach Hotel. (End of March 2008)
We had a great time! We got a really lovely view of sea, its worth paying that little bit extra for a sea view! We had a lovely big balcony which was also a bonus. We booked on Alpha rooms for a very good price half board.
The breakfast was good, not alot of fresh fruit but there were mountains of juicy oranges out everyday which were v.tasty. There was always lots of bread, cooked breakfast was ok but nothing fantastic. Dinner was not v.impressive so i would recommend going just B&B and taking advantage of all the lovely restaurant in the old town.
The Location of this hotel is fantastic! 2 min walk down to the beach, was much harder getting back up! 2 min walk into the old town, and 5 min walk to the New Marina. So it was a great base.
THe rooms were v.clean and the maids came in every day making the beds and providing fresh towels so that was great.
The entertainment was good they had a singer on a few nights in the bar area, which gave a nice atmosphere to the place, also Happy hour was from half 7 till half 8 in the bar where cocktails were half price! There were mostly older people staying in the hotel, there would not be much for kids to do here. The pool was small and i could imagine would get busy at peak seasons. It was a shame it was just a bit too cold to go in!
We went on a boat trip from the New Marina which was very enjoyable. Went to Zoomarine which was fun and we got a taxi to the The Strip in the new albuferia part which was a lot more commercial than the old town.
If you are looking for affordable reliable and english speaking taxi's I recommend Alan and Linda Sutton. Their whole team were so friendly and looked after us well! You can find them at www.ownersinportugal.org

Overall we had a fantastic stay the weather was amaaazing too!

Hannah (21) and Chris (24)

• Liked — The View and the cleanliness
  • Disliked — Would have been nice to have a double bed , and not 2 singles pushed together!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

we have just returned from a weeks stay at the Rocamar with friends.We had previously stayed here four years ago.We were really impressed with the improvements done to this hotel.It has been re-furbished to a really good standard We had sea view rooms which were lovely,the views are superb.If you are thinking of staying here I would recommend you get a sea view room.The rooms were cleaned and fresh towels supplied daily.We stayed half board.There was plenty of choice,a fish and a meat dish each night,pasta salad etc and a good choice of desserts.The only grumble I had was there was no cheese and crackers,but that is just something I prefer as I do not have a particularly sweet tooth.The dining room is quite small for the size of the hotel .so sometimes,you may have to wait to be seated,but we didn't find this too much of a problem.There is also seating outside which we found nice to have breakfast overlooking the beach.The bar area is nice and the drinks are a reasonable price.As it was November and out of season,.there was not a lot of nightlife as a lot of the bars were closed for the winter.There were a few restaurants open in,and around the square.Just a word of warning,if you decide to go for drinks,be careful where you go.We were overcharged for two rounds of drinks at one restaurant (cave do vinho do porto)just behind the main square.They charged 44 euros.When we asked why it was so expensive,the man who served us said it was 5 euros 50c per drink,regardless of what you order.So I would advise just steer clear of this place as there are plenty of nicer establishments that won't rip you off.All said,we had a fantastic holiday and the Rocamar is somewhere I would like to return to and I would definately recommend it.

• Liked — The views from the rooms
  • Disliked — nothing !
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

stayed at the rocamar oct 1st to the 8th.excellent hotel.everything you read about this is true.and well worth a visit.beaches superb write in front of hotel could not wish for more.shops close bye.and nice and quite by midnight.unless you want to go down to the town to stay up a little later thou.airport transfer would highly recommend (--).alan and linda sutton looked after us transport great and spot on time.highly recommend you book your transport with these.book now for next year. bye.

Stayed October 2007

Been to Rocamar Hotels & Resorts? Share your experiences!