“Exceeded our expectations however staff and food.............” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rocamar Hotels & Resorts

You added Rocamar Hotels & Resorts to your Saves list
Rocamar Hotels & Resorts
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Largo Jacinlo d'Ayet, Albufeira 8200-071, Portugal (Formerly Hotel Rocamar)   |
Ranked #35 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
The Netherlands
“Exceeded our expectations however staff and food.............”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just returned from a lovely two week stay at Albufeira. Having worked in the travel industry for over 20 years and staying in 5* hotels throughout I was rather apprehensive of this 3* hotel....don't be! Why did I chose the Rocamar ? I was having a relaxing break with my 21 year old daughter and based on Tripadvisor reviews etc decided the location was more appropriate - perfect choice.
The location is quite simply - fantastic! Sea view rooms worth the extra although we paid more to the travel agency than we would have to the hotel itself for an upgrade.....The sea beneath is only a few steps away as well as the old town itself. Although ladies beware! - no high heals other than wedges! The whole area is similar to Rome with uneven cobbled, hilly paths. Although beautifully quaint not high heel friendly!
The rooms and hotel overall surpassed my expectations & I have stayed in far worse 4* hotels with Thomas Cook let me assure you! I have recommended to the hotel coffeee/tea making facilities in the rooms as well as a small fridge would be advantageous to customers comfort and apparently this is being implemented soon. The rooms were, in my opinion, superior to their 3* and tipped the maid for her hard work.
The spa was less than anticipated I'm afraid so don't expect a spa as such ladies. It's rather grubby designed in red & black with mouldy showers and not particularly clean carpets, tables etc. I had a discounted seaweed body scrub which was ok but went elsewhere for mani & pedi ( used to work in operating room as nurse ) The gym is within the spa and the hours are very restricted 10am - 1pm & 2pm - 5pm - I don't particularly want to exercise after breakfast & usually out and about in afternoons - disappointing! Perhaps worth mentioning the gym wasn't well ventilated and smaller than my bedroom cupboard! Needless to say we didn't use the gym! Oh well the location of the hotel was wonderful for beach walks, through the old town & right at the promenade a beautiful walk ( 20 mins ) to the fishing harbour and marina. Also the walk left along the promenade takes you to a 2nd square with escalators up the mountain ( sightseeing train stop ) and continue the promenade walk to a few lovely little cafes etc.
Food & beverage........3* I'm afraid, so don't hold your breath. I'm glad we opted for b&b however the local food wasn't much better, although more varied. It's my only disappointment about the algarve - I found the food overall rather poor and not particularly cheap. In saying that there is a lovely cafe at the end of the road toward the marina ( iguana ) the coffee is fab, the tea comes in a teapot with proper tea bags and lunch was delicious and very reasonable - I went almost every day! The terrace is to die for ( suspended above the sea with breathtaking views ). Shame it closed at 6pm during the winter. The beach basket, left of the hotel was also good.
Back to the hotel.......breakfast was adequate...don't expect much more...although the coffee machine was probably the worst coffee I have ever tasted...I went to the above ( iguana ) every morning for my fix! The staff are dire I'm afraid.....even after 2 weeks we were still greeted with a grunt of " room number " and that was it! It became a joke with the residents it was sooo bad service - what a shame. The overal staff attitude was rather abrupt and offhand and this needs to be addressed in order to create a more friendly, comfortable atmosphere. In saying that I felt in no way threatened travelling/residing alone with a 6ft blond daughter - a far cry from Egypt and Dubai. I really did feel secure in the hotel & area and certain staff warmed towards the end of our stay. We only dined once in the evening at the hotel - sufficient info! But hey, for €10 buffet lets be reasonable....it was ok. I hasten to add I had absolutely no tummy problems whatsoever during our stay which is more than I can say for some 5* hotels!
As far as hotel entertainment is concerned - go elsewhere! The poor chap did have us is stitches - for all the wrong reasons!
Location again - there's plenty of spaces opposite the hotel to park your rented car, but wouldn't recommend hotels car rental company as heard other residents got a much cheaper deal and cleaner car elsewhere - book prior to leaving! The roads are easy and infrastructure way beyond my expectations - if two females can do it - go on! Sagres & Lagos are lovely to do in 1 day ( walking shoes ) and Monchique is quite breathtaking in the mountains - go higher though to the viewpoint. Tavira is towards the Spanish border and such a quaint little village - the local patisserie on the square has amazing cakes - try the black one - looks awful - tastes devine.
Hope this info helps - would I go back to the Rocamar - yes!

Room Tip: Sea view with extra & 4th & 5th floors better.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Got back from Rocamar last weekend having spent 4 nights there with my partner to celebrate his birthday. I had asked for a nice room and we certainly got that with a sea view balcony. The hotel is very clean with a modern/zen theme throughout. The room we had (think 518) was roomy as was the very white bathroom, with a bidet, shower over the bath and hair dryer. Both were spotless. I found the bed incredibly comfy but O/H didnt, although he weighs nearly twice as much as me. Two singles mattresses pushed together - with separate single bedding! (not great for romance but fantastic nights sleep, lol!) If I was to be really picky I would suggest a full length mirror in the bedroom for getting ready, and a flat screen TV rather than the small old portable which stuck out like a sore thumb in the otherwise modern room - but like I say "splitting hairs". Loved the room from the outset, and dont watch TV anyway. There is also air con/heating in the room and extra blankets if a bit cold. We were there beginning of Feb - I needed them, O/H didn't. I would have given this hotel five stars but for the evening catering which really let it down. I found breakfast to be fine - ample choice, buffet style cooked breakfast, eggs 3 ways, bacon/hot dogs alternate days, baked beans, mushrooms, selection of yummy breads and cold meats/cheese/toms/cucumber/olives/tuna - oils and garlic, yoghurt and fruit, cereals, jams/honey teas and coffee selections and fruit juice. The evening meals however were a completely different story- I'm not sure if it was because it was low season or they do this all year, but they had a set menu with an either/or very limited choice?? We were given a choice of mushroom soup/salad starter (my O/H didnt fancy either so they kindly offered a tomato soup alternative). It was served quickly - given we were almost first to arrive and only 3 tables were then occupied, both blisteringly hot with a tell-tale microwave ring. We then had a choice of turkey steak or sole with salad. My OH again didnt fancy either but plummed for the turkey and I requested sole; in Portugal, by the sea etc etc. thought I was in for a real treat. We also requested a bowl of chips as I heard them being offered to the table next to us, although we were not given the option. We then had a 40!! minute wait until the food arrived which I found unacceptable. By now tables had filled up and one couple had walked out because they were told they could not sit at the empty non-made up table but had to share a table with strangers which obviously they didnt want to do. After this lengthy wait the food finally arrived. Now I'm not a fussy eater, I will eat pretty much anything, but I have to say that the sole I was soooo looking forward to was served in a watery tomato type sauce with peas, a couple slices of cucumber and tiny bit of lettuce. It was bland, as was the tomasto water and hard and curled at the edges. I ate most of it but it is very rare that I leave food on my plate, which I did on this occasion. Thank God for the chips, which I wouldnt normally indulge in, but I was still hungry after my mini dinner. We waited and waited for our plates to be cleared and in the end went and helped ourselves to the sweet (buffet - no, we didnt raid the kitchen! :) which consisted of 3 types of cake, icecream and some other unmemorable offering? Needless to say we didnt use the hotel restaurant again and ate out for the rest of our stay, despite having paid for half board. I'm ashamed to say that both other nights we ate Indian not local or even med! (Taj on the square and Jaipur - both nice - Jaipur expensive) We both love Indian, and as it was my O/H's birthday treat I didnt feel I could argue/negotiate. Would have loved to try the sardines - definitely will do next time, but not at this hotel, lol!

The hotel is well located for the old town. We did get the little train to the new bit but for us, we definitely made the right choice. Definitely felt like Portugal in the Old Town - I personally find the "generic" strip very boring and samey, but I guess it depends what you are looking for. We did find it a struggle though to find many places open at night, and a lot of places hadnt opened up for the new season yet in the daytime either, but is was very early on. Daytime temps were warm enough to sunbathe on the beautiful beach if you found a sheltered spot out of the wind, or even on the terrace by the pool - I would guess at 17-20 degrees, but definitely needed a jacket/coat at night. Reading other reviews just now I realise we missed the marina! I'm guessing we should have kept walking past the lift maybe - which incidentally was not operating until the start of the season according the the note attached to it, although no indication of date was given. There are steps down to the beach, not steep but you do "feel the burn" on the way up - lovely soft sand and lots of lovely shells. I believe there are more beautiful beaches to be seen along this coast from research but we didnt really have the time to go explore on this short trip.

All in all had a lovely relaxing time, all to ourselves without the kids (6 between us!) and no kids at the hotel when we were there either (bonus). I would definitely return to this hotel, and the view of the beach and the sound of the waves in bed are a treat, but I would definitely book B&B next time. Can't coment on the Spa as didnt use it, but I have to say I was charged 2.10 Euros for a can of coke to take up to my room!! Naughty!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

just come back from a few days break ,what most people have said is about right ,nice pool area ,lovely spaces and decor inside hotel is really bright and comfortable bedrooms nice size batroom ok i like that they have a bidet,bed not the most comfortablist but for a few days hey ,put up with it .we upgraded to sea view which is lovely its like being on a cruise listenening to the sea.The breakfast is discusting with flies everwere your o.k if you just want ceral.which is a shame for such a nice decorated hotel.would stay again though for a few days location perfect.the lad on the bar of a night was really nice .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dundalk, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The hotel is perfectly situated overlooking the beach close to the lift and stairs, a small walk to the town center and a nice stroll to the marina.couldnt be better.the hotel itself has a lovely terrace which is ideal for siting and watching the world go by . The hotel is nicely decorated with modern colours and furnishings.The breakfast was adequate but the evening meals were a bit hit and miss.we were on half board but the al a carte didnt look much better worst of all were the restuarant staff who seemed to greet everyone with a grunt or a grimace asking for something was like pulling teeth total reluctance to be civil or polite wasnt as if they were overworked as its mainly self service.
Its worth researching the location of your room before booking we were on the 3rd floor facing the road, there was a terrace but this was shared by 5/6 other rooms which inhibited ones privacy, other rooms are apparently at eye level with the swiming pool, the rooms themselves were quite small, bathroom was very small, very awkard to move about rearranging furniture may help this issue.
The bar was lovely with very hard working pleasent staff, a nice place to relax after a hard days sunbathing

Room Tip: research room worth paying extra for sea view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 7 days with my husband and 3yr old son. The hotel was more like a 4 star and very modern and clean. I think my son was the only child that was in the hotel, but this didn't matter as he was well occupied. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The only disappointment was the evening buffet menu as we were half board. So we ate out a few times. There was a good selection for breakfast. We would return and recommend for couples. It would of been nice if there were other children, but as we were so close to the beach my son soon made friends. Overall a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed October 2012
St. Andrews, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Just back from a long weekend at the Rocamar; thought the Hotel and the rooms were both very clean, the views fantastic (especially from the infinity pool, though possibly not warm enough in January to be swimming outside in an unheated pool), the location excellent (far nicer than the New Town) and overall very reasonably priced (paid around £40 a night for a double room overlooking the sea).

Breakfast was good, both continental and cooked. Didn't eat in the restaurant but drank in the bar, and would recommend the mojitos...

Only slight downside was that there was a weird kind of sewage smell some mornings, but couldn't tell if that was coming from the beach/sea or somewhere in the Hotel and it didn't really have a massive impact on the enjoyment.

Room Tip: Get a sea view, well worth £10 a night or whatever extra we paid.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

The terrace is really good by the pool. But the breakfast contained 'hot dogs'which was really weird I suppose they are cutting cost. Don't try the eggs scrambled or fried they are also unusual and the mushrooms are also tinned I don't understand why you would attempt to produce a hot english breakfast with these,products i would have preffered just having the chilled sections on the menu offered hams breads cheese boiled eggs coffee. The fake hot breakfast was a let down. there were also flies in the restaurant. We.ordered a pizza an some melon and were told to return in ten minutes so I did 20 minutes later It arrived. The rooms are good the pool nice but the did and restaurant leave a lot to be desired. Just down the road is a restaurant called beach basket really gods cod fish!

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Rocamar Hotels & Resorts? Share your experiences!