“The dreaded sickness bug!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Auramar Beach Resort

You added Auramar Beach Resort to your Saves list
Auramar Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Praia dos Aveiros - Areias de S Joao, Albufeira 8200, Portugal   |
Ranked #97 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Solihull, United Kingdom
“The dreaded sickness bug!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Well got home last night (23/5/13) with my mother and my partner after a long week of them both being ill. My mom fell down with the D & V bug on tues and was very poorly. To start with just thought it was the sun even though she was not out in it long. on the thurs we were due to fly home, my partner was unwell throughout the whole trip home was a nightmare!! after speaking to a couple we made friends with they also had the sickness bug and also found out a further 4 more couples also was struck down with it. Many people left to return home early as was not well. apart from that the rooms basic but comfortable, general hotel was clean and nice. Due to being close to the strip had a few sleepless nights as was woken up by rowdy lads and girls, slamming doors and being very loud. Food was very nice for a 3 star although was same food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. shame we had a awful holiday as first time in 27years my mom had been away. definitely shall not be going back there!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room B315 high up room with sea view at back of hotel very nice
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Good Points - close to strip, great pools (but very cold), food what at 3 star standard don't expect 5 star luxury ! Rooms very clean,
Bad points - expensive if not all inclusive, staff are not very helpful, walk to beach is very very steep !

All in all good hotel and if your on a budget very cheap to stay here, if you want cheap food there's a great restaurant outside the hotel called the Chilled pepper or something like that however there food and drinks were very cheap. No sign of this so called sickness bug in other reviews asked around the hotel and no one had any signs of it!

Room Tip: We stayed in block D room 303 very quiet and great view of sea and small pool area
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Me and my partner arrived at the Auramar Beach Hotel on the 5th May 2013 until the 16th May, we went on an all inclusive holiday which Its the 3rd time I have stayed at the Auramar and my partners 2nd time.

We stayed at room D408 having lovely views across the beach and too the old town, the staff were wonderful and something for everyone food wise, we were told people had been sick, but we had no problems in the 12 days we were there, as for people complaining about the steps, there are ramps everywhere and you can get into the lift at block D go up too floor 3 and walk along the corridor to reception, easy. also they put on a courtsey bus on everyday to take you too the old town and its a beautiful walk back along the beach taking about 20 minutes. The pool area is lovely have 2 large outdoor pools and a indoor one, snacks at the pool bar are also lovely, cant understand why people complain, maybe they complain everywhere they go, some people have too much sun, then too much drink, then fall ill and blame the hotel, when its there fault, I want to save up again now and go back in September with my family, ok maybe needs a lick of paint but for the price cannot complain lovely place and lovely staff Marie was so nice I bought her some chocolates to share with her friends there, hope to see Marie and staff in September 2013.... Did see some hen partys and stag partys and birthday partys all thouroughly enjoying themselves, and why not, AS FOR THE ROOMS DO PEOPLE WANT TO SIT IN THEM ALL DAY OR JUST SLEEP AND GET OUT TO VISIT THE LOVELY PLACES ?? Gail Moss

Room Tip: Well been 3 times and loved it, so cant understand why so many people complain, some people get too...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lymm, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I went to this hotel with my partner in April, I've given myself time to calm down before I write this review.

Hotel- the management NEED to make the choice if they're are going to cater for family & couples or stag & hen do's... both is not possible. I was often disturbed by drunken men knocking at the door thinking it was their room or mates room, who was actually next door having loud sex with some random girl.

Rooms- standard, cleaners appear every day, to do what? I don't know. My bed sheets weren't changed ONCE during my stay, how do I know? On the first night, I got eyeliner on my pillow, and spilt some foundation on my under bed sheet- both were still there at the end of my stay.

Receptionist- Inna was probably the only pleasant member of staff, she was patient and spoke very good English. One older blonde receptionist was rude and obviously dislikes her job, LEAVE love! Don't take it out on your guests- as a receptionist myself I was STUNNED to see she was still in a job.

Food- I'd like to say it was nice, it was varied enough for a cheap all inclusive holiday, until you get ill.

Whilst we were there we made friends with some other couples who advised us about the 'bug' that was going around the hotel, we thought nothing of it. Til it we fell ill ourselves.
My partner was sick on Tues eve and Weds, then luckily he was better.
I fell ill on Weds, on Saturday when we were heading home I was still no better. 20hours straight of being sick and toilet sitting was NOT my idea of a good time!!! We rang the night porter to enquire about a doctor 250Euros!!! His English wasn't good at all, but yet he could give me idiom and tell me how to take it in PERFECT English.... very strange!

We were only there for a week, it was my first holiday in 7 years and first time to Portugal. Im sorry to say I will not be visiting this hotel or area again!!!!

I looked at this as a cheap holiday and didn't expect much, serves me right.
Avoid the hotel!!!!

Room Tip: Whilst Block C is the furtherst away- it overlooks the sea :) and is very close to the pools Block...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed March 17th for 11 nights. Room okay,clean but a bit tired.Depending where you are you could have quite a walk to the restaurant.Food ok but got very boring after 5 days .Ate out a few times even though on AI.Drinks disappointing in plastic cups and bar staff unwelcoming(next please.can I see your wrist band) I did say I have been here 8 days on one occasion but was told you and 500 others,charming.Pool and other areas not very clean.All in all a very average 2 not 3 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We spent a week at this hotel late April. On our first day we met a couple who had just recovered from a sickness bug. We had read the reviews, tried to change our hotel but couldn't so went armed with bacterial wipes/hand gels etc. We heard of so many people going down with the sickness bug, we attempted the food but felt it safer to eat out so the holiday was very expensive. We didn't like the look of the food, sampled it once and decided not to eat there. I didn't like all the stag and hen parties, we were in block A with a sea vie if you stood on your tip toes. Lying in bed one night reading a huge cockroach ran across the floor, the balcony door was broken so we think it got in through there, the room was shabby and needed updating. Sheets were never changed but the towels were. The TV didn't work, the light flickered in the bathroom and no one was interested in any repairs. The location is fabulous, the drinks are reasonable but 2 members of staff at the poolside bar need a training session in customer service, Patricia and Vladimar, exceptionally rude especially Vladimar who was so rude to an elderly guest in front of me, I told him it was unacceptable and he told me he didn't understand English..in English! The rest of the staff were fine and we found reception were trying to be helpful. This place needs closing down, refurbished and cleaned to rid it of this bug that is clearly not going away. My advice is you think you are getting a bargain when you book it but your not because your either ill or end up eating out which makes it very expensive.

Room Tip: Refuse a room in block A where we found cockroaches
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

arrived very late at he auramar after a long day of travelling, was one member of staff on booking people in , we had to find our room by ourselves. On arrival to our room was so tired, just went to bed (uncomfiest beds in exsistance) and waited to see what the next day would bring. Having read terrible reviews on the hotel prior to our arrival , we were dreading it , but the next day the sun was shinning so we got up to explore. the hotel needs updating considerably , faulty fittings, horrible green itchy blankets etc, apart from that , the cleaning staff were ever present, and our rooms were visisted everyday , we were in room 118 and had a view to the pool it was enough for us . The pool area was lovely ,spotlessly clean and plenty of space for everyone, the showers could do with fixing mind. we went BB which suited us and the little one, as we jst ate out then when we felt like,the beach is a stones throw away, although the location is not good for those who cant walk far, as stee inclines are involved, even the hotel has lots of steps. the old town worth a visit and the new strip just a 10 minute walk away.we were lucky not to have caught the dreaded Dand V that people had been writing about, the holiday is what you make it though really, there were about 2 children there including my son ,many groups of stags etc , but you get that where ever you go .The auramar could be outstanding if updates were made, but aart from that what we payed , is what we expected., give it a try its not that bad , make the most of what you pay, honest i was dreading it, but it was fine , and you can always go wandering around the sites and that .

Room Tip: a ti would be if going to beach wear socks ,the beach is quite shingly , hurts the feet , another wo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Auramar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!